another wof build ?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAKESTER

Hello

I'm to the point in my wof 28 build where I cut the angle on the sponson's for the inside bottom sheeting pieces. I understand that the first 10in on the back of the sponson must be flat. The problem is accurately cutting and "fairing in" the foam for the front inside bottom sheeting up to the sponson cap. Any tips or advise on this step would be

graciously appreciated. :D :rolleyes:

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I cut the sponson bottom dihederal using my band saw. I set the table top angle at 15 degrees and push/pull the sponson past the blade. Then I block sand with 80 grit to achieve the final shape. I have an adjustable angle indicator I use - or you can just "eyeball" the angle. It is basically a constant 15 degrees until it fairs into the front of the sponson.

WOFman JD

Lakester, You've made a good choice on the WOFman hull. I have a friend that I built a Thunder Tiger Mod engine for a 27 in.

WOFman hull and He repaid me with a LeeCraft 27in. XTR for my Mod Tiger,,,I thought I had an advantage,,,,Wrong!!

I could only make Him nervous by chasing him and hope he would make a mistake to pass Him. He has since made a Mod

to the bottom of the boat, (making the rear flat portion longer) according to Jerry Dunlaps instruction,,,Gee Thanks Jerry,,,

I can't catch him at all now! Great Racing Hulls,,,Easy to Tune.

Jerry Wyss :angry:

Hey Jerry Wyss,

Remember that WOF 30 we discussed? Well, I set it up with a K&B 3.5 SX for my son, Paul, and he won 3.5 Stock at the District 8 race last Saturday. He had two firsts and a second in qualifing heats and won the final. I was second in the final with my WOF 28. Thanks for not taking me up on my offer. The boat is no longer for sale.

JD

Thanks again JD "err uhh I mean" WOFman :p The 15deg. angle and keeping it

constant the length of the sponson is what I needed to be sure of.

Jerry wyss: I know I'm a WOF beliver. I was gona power mine with my os .21 xm :eek: but I think I'll stick with the w/c kay bee until I get the hang of driving

the thing. ;)

Riche: I see you have built a 28 too. Have you got yours in the water yet ?.

Hey, Thats Awesome about Pauls boat,,,Congrats Paul,,it was Almost "My Boat", but could'nt gather the $ in time.

I thought that the 30 WOF might be a little much, (length wise) for my mod Tiger but I see that was wrong too.

This "episode" Jim Hill's WOF 27 has made me add 1 3/8in. to the end of my XTR's sponsons and generally" shape

down" some of the B.S. on the bottom of this boat. If that does'nt help , I'll be contacting you J.D. for a 30 incher.

Oh by the way" Lakester" I have a O.S. 21 XM also,,Was hoping Jim Irwin was gonna make his new lower unit adaptable

to the XM so I could get a line on Flex shafts. I twisted my XM's shaft on the third running of my engine over 3 yrs ago,,

the stock flex was really a "noodle",,,Very Weak. Jim Irwin Himself said the O.S. is a hellava engine Modified but failed

to ask him how to mod the engine. Good Luck Jerry Wyss

Hey Lakester,

I have not had a chance to get to the water yet... can't wait!!!! I am anticipating a new arrival to the family in the next couple of weeks!!! So the boating has been put on hold.

Sorry I misunderstood the question. I thought you were having trouble blending the very tip of the foam to the cap...

oops!!!!

Anyway. It took me a while to get all my parts together. I didn't have a band saw so I was using the hot wire method... It takes a little more patience b/c you have to make extra templates to get strait cuts... (well strait enough to sand strait anyway :huh: , I will be lucky if this boat runs true. we shall see!!! :D ).

Good Luck!!!!

The best way I found is to cut it on a band saw and leave it big,and use a adjustable angle gauge and a sand paper block too get it perfect. The adjustable angle gauge has a plastic handle with an adjustable metal piece. you place the plastic part against inside of the sponsons set the adjustable angle part to the proper angle, then run the along the bottom of the sponson. Sand the sponson a little then check it with the gauge. It also works for the top angle too. I would post a pic but I have no Idea how If you want I will send you a pic if you like. I have almost completed my WOF 30 just need to fill and paint.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
To get the final angle I glue 2 pieces of 1/4 in. ply together in a "v" at 15 deg. angle. Glue a piece of 80 grit to one side of your "v" and then lay your sponson inside against the nonsandpaper side. Drag your sponson back and forth over the sandpaper and you have a nice level finished surface. No highs or lows as when you eyeball it. ;)

Use the Sharpy to shape befor you sand. The sheeting as a gude and a good eye for the angel. I try to use the 15 Deg. the whole leangth of the running surface.

This is some good advice, or just be creative.

Back