Another new .12 (Riptide)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh wow that's beautiful! great job!

can we see a bottom and rear shot? i dont see a strut?

i cant wait to see a bunch more of these .12 riggers!

ill be putting mine on the radar gun saturday weather permitting..... going to try more nitro (only 20% so far) to try to spin up more agressive props!

Nice boat Don, your attention to details is the best. How about some close ups? Zoom in on that baby and show us what you've done.

-MikeP

Thanks Guys,

I'm kinda out of time today but I'll take some more pictures later and give the details. Below you'll find a couple of shots of the bottom.

wow! that looks fantastic! did you stain the wood first before building/gluing it together? man, i'm building an 8th scale from newton plans but I'm thinking i'll put it on hold and go ahead and build a minirigger :) nice!

tom moorehouse- i sure would be interested in how your 12 is performing... attempts at designing/scratch building one that works on my own takes time i just don't have. i've got 2 rugrats that get into everything! (not to mention the "boss" lol...) i've emailed you regarding the kit, but you may be getting the email as an attachment and deleting it fearing a virus? i'd like to purchase one and make use of the r&d you've put in to the design.

clay, i'm having email probs right now..... could you use the messenger service from the forum?

i'm going out in the morning and upping the nitro to 40.... ive now got a radar gun and well see how she is doing!

Clay,

I used minwax wood conditioner and stain after it was all built. It's not perfect but if you'r real carefull with the glue it works pretty well. I don't think it would be possible to stain and then build because of all the sanding.

As for the rudder, it's a Hughey SS blade in a bracket that I machined.

Thanks for the comments,

Don ;)

Details:

Total weight less fuel- 2lb/6oz (The boat could be built much lighter but as I have stated before, every time I pick up a 1/32 piece of plywood it makes me sick and I go for the 1/16th. : :) The hull sides are 1/8" composite FG and balsa. Top, bottom, hatch covers, and conventional sponsons are 1/16" ply. Rear 3 bulkheads are 1/4" light ply with 1/16" ply over the transom bulkhead on both sides. Rudder servo is over done with a low profile BBMG Hitek servo. The "Hammer Cut" optional sponsons are 1/8" light ply and 1/32" ply and weigh 0.8oz less than the the conventionals. The optional rears are 1/32" ply and weigh 1.2oz together.

Break Down:

Hull with booms and hatch covers- 10.4oz

Motor mount and screws- 0.9oz

Rudder with bracket and screws- 1.0oz

Pipe mount and screws- 0.2oz

Front sponsons and mounting screws- 4.8oz

Turn fin and screws- 0.5oz

All radio gear linkages and antenna- 6.2oz

Driveline, teflon and prop- 1.1oz

Grim/tank empty- 1.4oz

Engine, flywheel, pipe and coupler and screws- 11.5oz

Optional Hammer cuts- 4.0oz

Optional rears- 1.2oz

While this boat is a little heavy and I have no idea of how it will perform I still feel very good about the way it balances out. We'll See!

SPECS:

Hull length - 22-5/8"

Width outside - 2-3/4"

Distance between sponsons - 11-1/4"

Drive dog to transom - 1/4"

C.G. - 86% Drive dog to T.E.

Sponsons - 4.5 degrees

Depth of sponsons - 21/32"

Shaft centerline depth at transom - 13/32"

Strut depth at transom - 19/32"

Shaft and strut angle at transom - 1 degree down

Don ;)

That boat is too purty for flames! It looks like it ought to set the water on fire! Get out the candles instead. Nice job on the pipe mount. Let me know how you like the pipe, I wasn't too happy with mine. The old Paris pipe that I have is faster. I can always throw it back on though.

Back