Aluminum Anodizing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KenBeller

Can anyone advise a good source to use for anodizing. I smalll company in NJ that had a $85 minimum lot charge and in the end charged over $150 for a small bag of components.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
I remeber trying this myself back in the 80's with rit clothes dye,battery acid and a battery charger.

The results were not that great but it did work and it was a mess to clean up so I never tried it again to see what I did wrong.

I know there are some home kits out there now for this if you want to try the diy route.

Other than a plateing company I would try a custom gunsmith some still do plating and anodizing but many don't anymore because of the epa , performance engine tuning shop as some people do this from home and advertise in these places or local trade school/college as they may offer classes and do the parts at little to no cost.

Can anyone advise a good source to use for anodizing. I smalll company in NJ that had a $85 minimum lot charge and in the end charged over $150 for a small bag of components.

Ken
You could try here, http://www.accu-techrchardware.com/anodizedparts.html

Not sure if James does YOUR hardware,, or just stuff purchased from him?

Worth a call though
Yeah get ahold of James at Accutech. I'm sure he could work something out with you or at least point you in the right direction because he gets a lot of his hardware anodized too. Really awesome guy and outstanding customer service.

-Mitch

Check with Tony or Pam at Warehouse Hobbies. I think they are doing small batch anodizing.

I've know people in the past that did it themselves. They used a kit to do it. I thought their products looked quite professional. When I was in the Navy, I did gold plating. It shouldn't be too much different. It was quite easy. You just had to have the item perfectly clean or it wouldn't adhere. Here's a kit! http://www.caswellplating.com/standard-anodizing-kit.html?___store=default Buy this and go into business. Won't be able to live on it, but you could supplement the expense of your hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
I purchased the caswell kit a few years back and anodized several small items for myself and friends. As stated above making sure that the parts are clean and a good connection is maintained during the anno process is key, other than that it's really not that difficult...

Dusty

I worked in an electroplating company up here in raleigh(sirtronics). Scary place with cyanide in it. Always felt like I was waiting for disater the building had more warning signs that the DMV booklet. They paid good though. Wonder why? Anodizing is really nice to look at but I wouldnt waste my time dealing with all those nasty chemicals. Then theres disposal. Processes that leave a bunch of nasty by products are slowly being removed from the market and consumer hands. Id definately let someone else do it for me that has the proper fascilities and methods of disposal. Not trying to be a tree hugger just rather see you safe. Im not saying the home kits are not possible im just saying WHY? unless you plan to offer an anodizing service its way too much mess and trouble.Plus youll be exposed to carcinogenic crap you dont have to be.

I did

solder testing on computer chips and ic's there. Sat in front of a vat of hot solder all day floating chips. My skin always tingled in that place. Another reason I left. I dont have time to die by cyanide. The only thing seperated us was a locked steel door. Only one old man would go in and get it with a **** near space suit on. That old man , cant remember his name, is probably immune lol after working in that place for over 20 years. His blood is acid lol

Last edited:
Back