ABC Props

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if the ABC props are similiar to the Octura alloy?

Thanks.........Rick
Sniff, sniff, I smell smoke.
tongue.gif
What you brainstoming now??? By the way, thanks for the lessons on props at Hobart.
cool.gif
==={}

Thanks.........Rick
They are cast from a modified 275C beryllium copper alloy. The standard annealing & heat treatment used for 20C casting alloy "SHOULD NOT" be used.

Jim Allen

Thanks.........Rick
They are cast from a modified 275C beryllium copper alloy. The standard annealing & heat treatment used for 20C casting alloy "SHOULD NOT" be used.

Jim Allen
Jim:

What do you suggest for the Heat Treating & Annealing Temps?
The following information came from Jim Schaefer. It is not the same information as found in the Brush Wellam Inc. data sheets for 275C casting alloys because his alloy is a 275C modified alloy that allows the casting of very thin sections reliably.

anneal- raise to 1300 deg F & quench immediately in 11 second oil

stress relieve- at 340 deg F for 20 minutes

harden- at 594 deg F for 40 minutes

Jim Allen

jim told me several yrs ago they have a little amount of COBALT in them as well.

chris

Thanks.........Rick

Jim Allen
Jim:

The following information came from Jim Schaefer. It is not the same information as found in the Brush Wellam Inc. data sheets for 275C casting alloys because his alloy is a 275C modified alloy that allows the casting of very thin sections reliably.

Jim Allen
Thanks Jim.....That is significantly different. I have a couple of questions though. When does one perform the stress relief step? Before annealing or after? Also, What type of oil and I assume it is held for 11 seconds prior to removal?

Thanks again......Rick

Thanks.........Rick

Jim Allen
Jim:

Jim Allen
Thanks Jim.....That is significantly different. I have a couple of questions though. When does one perform the stress relief step? Before annealing or after? Also, What type of oil and I assume it is held for 11 seconds prior to removal?

Thanks again......Rick
Do the stress relief after annealing. Anneal the blade to balance (done on the back side with a file), change pitch (not recommended on ABC props), reduce blade area, re-cut drive slot, etc. There are basiclly two types of quenching oils; standard 28 sec & high speed 11 sec, both available from McMaster Carr in 1 gal containers. Leave the prop in the oil until it is room temperature.

Hi

Does anyone know if there are any differencies in the alloys between ABC and Octura props?

The feeling I have is that one of the brands are stronger, but I could be wrong.

Thanks

Jorgen

Hi

Does anyone know if there are any differencies in the alloys between ABC and Octura props?

The feeling I have is that one of the brands are stronger, but I could be wrong.

Thanks

Jorgen
The tensile & yields strengths of both alloys are similar in the as cast & annealed then hardened states. ABC props may apppear to be weaker because they are typically cast in thinner sections.

Jim Allen

Hi Jim

Thanks for reply, it is very nice to have someone like you on the forum.

Your info confirms my experincies.

When the prop is cast at the factory, do they any sort of heat treating after that?

Thanks

Jorgen

Hi again Jim

Just one thought - I worked with one Octura props that I bought in the early 1980`s, this prop feels harder than the ones you get today, am I just imagine this or could it be something into this?

Thanks

Jorgen

Hi again Jim

Just one thought - I worked with one Octura props that I bought in the early 1980`s, this prop feels harder than the ones you get today, am I just imagine this or could it be something into this?

Thanks

Jorgen
As far as I know Octura has always & still does make their beryllium copper props from the 20C casting alloy. The only way for an as cast prop to be harder is for someone to heat treat it.

Thanks.........Rick

Jim Allen
Jim:

Jim Allen

Thanks again......Rick
Do the stress relief after annealing. Anneal the blade to balance (done on the back side with a file), change pitch (not recommended on ABC props), reduce blade area, re-cut drive slot, etc. There are basiclly two types of quenching oils; standard 28 sec & high speed 11 sec, both available from McMaster Carr in 1 gal containers. Leave the prop in the oil until it is room temperature.
Thank you Jim. You have been extremely helpful. Rick

Thanks.........Rick

Jim Allen
Jim:

Jim Allen

Jim:

What do you believe to be the best temps/times and quench for heat treating Octura Props?

Thanks.........Rick

Jim Allen
Jim:

Jim Allen

Jim:

What do you believe to be the best temps/times and quench for heat treating Octura Props?
"High strength beryllium copper casting alloys 20C, 21C, 165C, 245C, 275C use the standard age hardening cycle for high strength casting alloys, both annealed & as cast, which is 3 hours at 625-650 deg F, +-5 deg F. However, to develope the highest strength for as cast alloys, a seperate solution anneal should preceed the age hardening. If solution annealing is required, it is a high temperature soak: 1450 deg F for the high strength alloys & 1650 deg F for the high conductivity alloys. Annealing must be carefully controlled as excess time or temperature will cause grain growth and beryllium loss. Solution annealing should be immediately followed by a ice cold water quench. Thin sections require an annealing time of about 3-5 minutes. Fifteen minutes to 1 hour is required for thin walled tubes & small castings. A heat up time of 1 hr per inch of thickness must be added to the soak time."

All of the above information is available from the Brush Wellman Inc. Technical Service Department.

Jim Allen

Please be aware that any beryllium copper propellers that have been properly annealed & then properly heat treated cannot be be bent with pitching pliers, pitching balls or other devices, without first being re-annealed. Any attempt to do so will definitely cause the blade to break!!

Jim Allen

Latest posts

Back