A new Tunnel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i run a mercury! the one with an omc belongs to a buddy of mine. i just posted the pic because i just ordered a boat just like his but in white. but if you what to see one of the baddest omc's in the country here it is.

View attachment 1031

Ha,Ha, I think I gonna need a bigger boat Tim :lol:

Yep that one looks Wicked for sure Casey!!!!! ;)

Gene :D

Casey, are planning to drag race with ODBA? Those guys are bad to the bone. ;) Takes lots of money to compete with them boys. :D Lot a nice guys tho. Hope you got a good engine man. Good luck with your new ride dude.

DS

Mark, This hull looks like the old mod VP boat of Al Stoker and it was a smoker. :D I had an old Vision Craft Vee Tunnel and thought about copying that hull. It was a great circle racer and still is for the sport class. I'd like to see your boat compete. I think it would be great boat. Good lookin boat Mark.

As for the Allison, those are great drag boats and would be a great SAW boat, but for circle racing, that would be a hand full. Propbably a blast to run.

DS

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks DS. My boat looking like the real life version of Stoker's is no accident. I was a marine technician for 20 years, raced V-bottoms a couple of years, and a huge race fan of F1 and the old Mod-VP class. It is a shame that the class rule changes and the engine manufacturers ego's led to the demise of the circle racing. I chose to build the v-nose version because i felt it would have certain advantages. Vision craft's were fast boats indeed. Yeah, an outboard RC boat based on something like the Allison would be fun for sure! Might have to put a gyro in that one!! I will be competing also. I would say that with all the new boats coming out that we should see some great tunnel racing this year. Maybe dem dar ol' salts of da otberd class are cookin somethin up in dar barns too!

Stoker's boats are very nice! :D a buddy of mine from Havasu had Al build him this one last year. it's one of the nicest looking boats i've seen, rigging is flawless!

View attachment 1035

Casey!! You are killing me man!! That makes me want to get behind the wheel again!! (mark pulls out his wallet and look in it)......i think i will stay behind the wheel.....of my transmitter!

Good lookin Stoker fer sure.

It does take deep pockets to race with ODBA, specially the Pro Gas and Unlimited. I raced with CSDBA and SDBA. Best was 8:94 @ 125mph. I ran Unlimited With ODBA once at Mt. Pleasent, ran with them couldn't beat em.

This is giving me the bug again better STOP!!!

i'm glad to see this i hav'nt finished mine yet but i added center section to my tunnel. water is to hard to test any way.

this is not that uncommon in tunnels the f1 boats have a center section in them not as deep but same principal.

as well as alot of drag boats and mod vp hulls.

glad to see some experiments with this hope you do well!!!

Hey fellow Screamandfly guys...

I too run a OB drag boat; a Mirage River Racer.

A friend of mine has campaigned a full size OPC tunnel on the drag circuit for about 10yrs now. We added a small "pod" in between the sponsons to keep the boat from hopping down the track. Might cross over to RC as well.

Mark, I really like the design of your tunnel, lets see more pics!

Thanks,

OB, don't understand the addition of the pod between the sponsons. :( Did you install that to prevent porpus? Never needed that on on my Vision Craft.

That hull looks very similar to my full size Cougar mod VP.

I dont have any pics at the moment, well I do but no scanner.

Hey Sundown, Isn't your VisionCraft a MVP hull? Meaning, it would already have a center pod. This was a 16ft LeeCraft that we run the quarter mile in the 10sec class. After we left the gates, the boat hop about half track. We were running a shifting gearcase also though.

You ran an 8.94 with a Visioncraft? Was that with CSDBA? a full quarter? We have ran some 9.50's and were definatley one of the fewer outboards up there.

Did you ever run your VisionCraft in Mod VP? I remember watching 1 or 2 of them run in St. Louis in the 80's.

Later,

16 ft. is a little short for a drag boat. Have to have enough hull to handle all that horsepower. (Leverage principle) There will be more pics of the boats soon, been busy building them. I will be at the Nats so you can see them up close. Last week i blew the dust off of the old mold for the 40" hull and laid one up. Got a .67 outboard that needs a transom! I sold all the ones that i had built before so i will have some pics of this boat too.

Mark Poole

Back