a camera on a rigger..

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletch51

I just did this Thursday. I don't know what was harder, running the boat on a small pond in rough water or figuring out how to edit and upload a simple video.

Last edited by a moderator:
That was pretty cool!!!! thanks for sharing that. Video footage like that would make dvd's from metime intresting. Onboard deck to deck racing.....hell yea!!

I appreciate that... the 170 degree wide angle lense makes the other boats look so far away and they are not.. I have another vid that i will put up soon with some 35mph monos where i jumped another identical boat and i think the wide angle kinda takes away some of the drama.. I am thinking about another camera with 40 degree angle and strapping both those suckers on and learning more about editing in order to side by side blend em.

I just did this Thursday. I don't know what was harder, running the boat on a small pond in rough water or figuring out how to edit and upload a simple video.
youtube rigger vid
If you ever decide to do this again please consider pointing the camera at the rear of the boat.

I sure would like to see what is going on at the back of the boat while the boat is running. ;) .

LOVED IT! that was awsome. Was it an optical illusion 'cause of the 170 lense or was the LH front sponson boom flexing a lot in the turns (under load)? Kinda looked like that's what ultimately caused the hook.

youtube rigger vid
If you ever decide to do this again please consider pointing the camera at the rear of the boat.

I sure would like to see what is going on at the back of the boat while the boat is running. ;) .
Geraghty,

I have done that kind of video, if your interested check out my work at RCU Videos http://www.rcuvideos.com/video/Cal-Craft-Mono-w-On-board-Vid

bokker

Cool video! That is just about the same view point I had when I used to race Kneel down hydros. Which was a loooooong time ago. :p

David

The camera was bought primarily for boat vids. I am trying figure out where to mount it facing back on a rigger. The boat is a 67sgx with a fully modified Mac .67

In that video it was mounted over the tank on a flat tank cover with a carburetor shield.. In place of the cowl.

even though the camera weighs two ounces, I will try it soon on the splashwell(baitbox?) lid. I dont know how much it will affect the handling that far back.

The carbon boom tubes do flex if you put pressure on them by hand, so i would imagine they do flex some on the water. I have a feeling most of that movement in the vid is mostly illusion.

The sun was bright in that video but the camera seems to automatically overdim the picture. Basically I still gotta lot to learn.

I made this video the same day. the camera is on a Rio51 following another Rio51 around. Then an outrigger got thrown in the mix. I started looking at the outrigger... next thing..... problems.

Flecth, send me directions to that pond and if I can get some wekends off I will try and come down there and run with you guys. Ryon

Cool video! That is just about the same view point I had when I used to race Kneel down hydros. Which was a loooooong time ago. :p
David
When my Dad worked for Evinrude in the 60s & 70s he was involved in one of their Kneel down hydro programs ('68-'72) in California. I can vaguely remember heading to the lake and watching the racing & testing.

It's GoPro Hero.... "motorsports"version I think... While looking for one I found out that Traxxas now packages and distributes it in hobby stores. Like I wrote, I think it is the "motorsports"version, which I believe mainly has to do with features like mounts and maybe wideangle vs. not wideangle....It doesn't have the suction cup mount but comes with a few flat and curved(for helmets etc..) self adhesive(3M) bases that adhere extremely well... plus mount arms that can let you adjust camera angle..

It's about $200.. some sellers on ebay have it for around 150 but their feedback didn't look that good. It requires AAA lithium or nimh batteries and needs a 2MB SD card to get any reasonable length video..the first video I took was 3 mins long and 118MB, the camera only has 16MB memory w/o SD card($12)..

I've been intending to get some pics of it up here.. I will try to get them up tonite.

Wow, the question was only "what kind of camera". sorry for the long wind.

gopro website

At one end of the manmade pond there is an old mobile home park (70's).no complaints yet. A few of the local rc boaters say they have written permission from the city to run there(nitro, gas or electric).

The cops usually wave as they go by, and sometimes stop and look at the boats, and make sure we have plenty of ice for our beer..just kidding about the beer..............it was liquor.

Hey Mike,

That was shot down in Scottsdale where I use to live, what is Ironic is since I have moved to the great Northwest It has been harder to find fresh water to run boats at than when I lived in AZ, I think you know what I mean.

Bokker

Back