90 outrigger pulls hard right.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outrigger

Hey guys I just got my 90 outrigger setup this weekend. (90 cmb with a 1667 prop) She has tons of speed but she pulls hard right when it gets on plane. The rudder has a huge 1/4 scale servo attached to it and trim is maxed out to the left to compensate but it still is pulling hard right. I've heard tilting the turn fin back will help. Any ideas?

20131006_205800.jpg

20131006_205737.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ur problem might be at the back of the boat.

Are the prop blades really sharp?

How deep and/or big is the rudder blade?

Rx pack strong and charged?

Rudder pushrod flexing?

Take the turn fin off and see if does the same thing..... this is a quick way to eliminate the turn fin being or not being the issue.

What I thought was weird was when playing around with the prop height it seemed to like being 1/4 inch higher then the rear sponsons. I've always heard you wanted the center of the prop shaft level with the bottom of the sponsons. Anyways I'll pull the turn fin off next time I'm out and see what she does. So if it does track strait what then?

The prop is pretty sharp. Its been gone over polished and balanced. Plus I don't think the rudder is the problem it has a oversized pushrod and im using a life battery so that 1/4 scale servo should have lots of power.

Make sure the turn fin is parallel to the bottom off the tub. You may need to put a washer under the right front boom bolt.

that looks like an old skool hull (?) may not handle the 1667 tork on the hull.

in any case if the sponsons are identical width (typicaly newer hulls would have a slightly narrower or lower deadrise left ride pad) and both equidistant from the hull move the left sponson 1/4" in closer to the tub.

you can also "toe in" the right sponson by 1/8" or so.

i would try 1 then the other and see which works best.

also if the front attack angles are low (less than 3.5degrees) this would also cause a hard pull.you can try raising the front boom tubes by shimming or shimming only the front right .

if the attack is high lower the left by shimming the back boom.

Outrigger,

Your rudder is to short and your pushrods are flexing.

How do I know? I am working with an older vintage boat almost

identical and I started with more servo power, longer and wider rudder, and bigger

pushrods. You could update your turnfin also, it needs to be wider leading edge

to trailing edge.

Keep Testing,

Mark Sholund

Outrigger listen to Mark he set me straight with my JAE which had the same problem.I used a rudder I got from Mark dropped it down and the pulling went away.

Ok thanks guys. Any idea on rudder size. The boat is 44"x24" I didn't know if there is a calculation for proper rudder size. Or is it more of a trial and error?

20130927_235948_LLS.jpg

Outrigger,

Do you have a name please? I like to know who I am talking too.

About 1" to 1&1/2" below the tips of the propeller at full song.

We are talking rudder lengths.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Start with the basics.

Have you put it on a flat surface and checked the boat set up?

Do you have a digital angle finder? http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-digital-torpedo-level/p-00948295000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Start at the beginning and find out where you are.

Take the sponsons off and flip them upside down on a flat surface.

0 the angle finder on this surface and then check the sponsons bottoms to see what you have.

This is the starting point.

Take it one step at a time.

put it back together with no shims under the tubes and put the boat on the flat surface with no fin or rudder installed.

0 the level again now check the tub and see wear you are with the level.

this will give you a starting point to make all adjustments.

Do this and tell us what you have.

Back