8700 U10 scale boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

P THOMAS

Supporting Member
Vendor
This boat is a new one that I am building. It will be the 94 U10 Winston Eagle. Been working this winter on the hull and made a nice straight hull to do the molds for it. The hull and all the cowl parts match the Newton plans, I had and old cowl that was too short so it was cut, chop and rebuild all winter to get the parts like i wanted them and scale to the Newton plan. I started this project with one of my T5 boat hull and started at the nose and worked my way back to the transom turning it into a 8700 hull. This is going to be the nicest U10 hull available.

Here is a album for the build of the U10

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1093

Phil Thomas

This boat is a new one that I am building. It will be the 94 U10 Winston Eagle. Been working this winter on the hull and made a nice straight hull to do the molds for it. The hull and all the cowl parts match the Newton plans, I had and old cowl that was too short so it was cut, chop and rebuild all winter to get the parts like i wanted them and scale to the Newton plan. I started this project with one of my T5 boat hull and started at the nose and worked my way back to the transom turning it into a 8700 hull. This is going to be the nicest U10 hull available.

http://gallery.intlw....php?album=1093

Phil Thomas

Phil, will this hull be available soon? I need one....

Just PM'ed you Phil in regards to a cowling set cost for this hull. I just bought a used Newton built Smokin Joes, and this would be a nice addition! Mike

Yes i plan to build kits of this one soon. I can make hulls and all the cowls now .

I have not done any real setup testing but it is the same bottom as the T5 and that boat has a good setup and is a race winner for a few years.

This 8700 should balance out better too cause the nose is longer and the motor is more to the front.

I like the Winston paint job look but the Joes looks like it would be alot easier to do isnt the joes all yellow and just the cowl center purple? The ictures I have seen it has a white bottom or is it all yellow?

Don you do need a new Joes boat.

Sweet, let me know about the cowling set!!! The Joes is an easy paint job. My paint just arrived today for the build! Mike

Phil Thomas
Wow Phil couldn't u get the motor any farther forward? lol That would really help keep water out of the carb.......while u r "tryin" to catch frosty!

Phil Thomas
Wow Phil couldn't u get the motor any farther forward? lol That would really help keep water out of the carb.......while u r "tryin" to catch frosty!
It worked out real well like that with the carb ahead of the joint in the cowl, should keep water out of it ok.

Phil,

Boat looks great!!! How about some bottom shots of the hull?

How much for the driver insert? I need one for my new Circus two wing hull.

Keep up the good work!!!

Bert

Last edited by a moderator:
Been working on the front wing canard flaps, have them mounted ok. They could just be glue on at an angle, but no :blink: I had to figure out how to get them in there and still make them operational. made a 3/16 pivot pin on the outside that goes into the sponson side and then a 3/16 rod is insert thru the nose side. i will have a setscrew fix the rod to the flap so I can set the angle of the flap. I will add some picture

WOW, Phil you've done it again! I might even have to get out of the " MR Madison" stereotype!

BIg AL :lol:

Been working on the front wing canard flaps, have them mounted ok. They could just be glue on at an angle, but no
blink.gif
I had to figure out how to get them in there and still make them operational. made a 3/16 pivot pin on the outside that goes into the sponson side and then a 3/16 rod is insert thru the nose side. i will have a setscrew fix the rod to the flap so I can set the angle of the flap. I will add some picture
Hi Phil, I did the similar thing with my canards on the Joe.... My rods in the canards are 1/8" and I used a pin from the canard into the sponson and another pin that was glued into the canard and then ran into the tub on both sides. I then connected them with a brass sleeve with collars and added a control arm which is linked to a 4th channel servo. Mine is operated by a switch on the Futaba 7C transmitter with pre-set limits of travel. Level canards normally and then flip the switch and up they go to while running.

Cheers

Been working on the front wing canard flaps, have them mounted ok. They could just be glue on at an angle, but no
blink.gif
I had to figure out how to get them in there and still make them operational. made a 3/16 pivot pin on the outside that goes into the sponson side and then a 3/16 rod is insert thru the nose side. i will have a setscrew fix the rod to the flap so I can set the angle of the flap. I will add some picture

biggrin.gif
That's what I love about this hobby, the "but no
blink.gif
" Very
cool.gif
Phil.

Been working on the front wing canard flaps, have them mounted ok. They could just be glue on at an angle, but no :blink: I had to figure out how to get them in there and still make them operational. made a 3/16 pivot pin on the outside that goes into the sponson side and then a 3/16 rod is insert thru the nose side. i will have a setscrew fix the rod to the flap so I can set the angle of the flap. I will add some picture
Here is a picture with the flaps installed

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1093&pos=12

Last edited by a moderator:
Back