80 amp NIMH test

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve

What about doing the test at lower current draw to simulate 1 season of racing? Maybe 50A or 60A constant draw is equivalent to 1 heat of 4 min offshore racing. Thus 40 cycles at 50A or 60A might be a good simulation of 1 season of racing (1 season = 3 heats per race day and 12 days of racing plus boat testing = approx 40 cycles).

As a cell buyer, I am looking for some confirmation that the cells I am buying will hold up reasonably well over 2 seasons. That is my personal target...get 2 decent racing seasons out of them. It would be very good if you can do testing that tried to simulate this.

Interestingly, I do have several 2 year old packs with GP3300s that are in pretty good shape after 2 complete seasons. Some of the packs have mostly been used in LSH and LSO boats so they are not stressed heavily, but they have seen some P-sport racing and they held up well for 2 seasons. I have GP330s in an 18 cell pack for Q-mono and Q-offshore that has been heavily stressed for 2 seasons. The pack was really starting to slow down and I did a 300 mA slow charge and the pack really came back to life. I raced it last weekend and the boat was faster than it had been most of the year. So in my opinion the GP3300s do seem to hold up to 2 seasons.

Maybe put some good GP3300s in the 40cycle test as a benchmark for the new IB3800s or IB3600s. I think many racers are comfortable with GP3300s, so if the IBs are as good or better than these cells, that may provide purchasers with peace of mind. It would sure work for me.

That should translate into increased sales for you, which is a good thing.

Regards RvE

Last edited by a moderator:
We look forward to continuing this testing soon. We have been busy working on orders for manufactures. I was also kind of waiting to see what happens in the ERCU and NAMBA regarding the future of LiPoly. Doing a bunch of NIMH tests would meaning less if they all approve LiPoly for 2006.

thanks,

Steve

I was also kind of waiting to see what happens in the ERCU and NAMBA regarding the future of LiPoly. Doing a bunch of NIMH tests would meaning less if they all approve LiPoly for 2006.
I can't speak for ERCU but, Namba will not be going all lipo any time soon. if lipo's get allowed it will be in 1/8th scale only and that because the rules where written with a voltage spec not a cell count. So nimh will still be in high demand for at least a couple more years if not longer.

Okay, remove the word NAMBA and what do you have at CAFE? I thought that several members ran LiPoly in several classes and that LiPoly was the future?

thanks,

Steve

I was also kind of waiting to see what happens in the ERCU and NAMBA regarding the future of LiPoly. Doing a bunch of NIMH tests would meaning less if they all approve LiPoly for 2006.
I can't speak for ERCU but, Namba will not be going all lipo any time soon. if lipo's get allowed it will be in 1/8th scale only and that because the rules where written with a voltage spec not a cell count. So nimh will still be in high demand for at least a couple more years if not longer.

well at cafe we all pretty much have lipos for most to all class sizes but, we also all race so we need nimh. in my opinion lipos are the future but, that doesn't mean 2006

So, your saying that you need NIMH to race at other events. It's going to be kind of costly to use both NIMH and LiPoly is it not? I wonder how many will travel to other events if you have Lipoly packs.

well at cafe we all pretty much have lipos for most to all class sizes but, we also all race so we need nimh. in my opinion lipos are the future but, that doesn't mean 2006

So, your saying that you need NIMH to race at other events. It's going to be kind of costly to use both NIMH and LiPoly is it not? I wonder how many will travel to other events if you have Lipoly packs.
Steve what are you talking about.

yes we need nimh to race. the lipos we have we got at the begining of this year so we already bought both but, we don't need to buy lipos for next year so if we want to race anywhere we need to have nimh for the 2006 season. the 3 of us that have lipos for every class also went to 3 or more races this year anf 4 if you count the CAFE race. The only lipo class's we had at the CAFE was N2 offshore which I think 6 or 7 people ran lipos in and we allowed them in 1/8th scale which no one used lipos.

so are you saying since 3 people in one club have lipos for all class sizes that there will not be a need for nimh in 2006 so you shouldn't waste your time in testing?

I am talking future not past...I have no idea what each one has or has not. I look forward to seeing how well those LiPolys do for you guys after use one summer, stored and used again. This could be great data for the rest of us. I am thinking of trying a Campbell hydro on 7 or 8 cells with LiPoly. Okay, I'll do some more stuff if it's needed. I heard that Fuller will be offering IB3800's soon as well, since his supplier has switched.

thanks,

Steve

Steve what are you talking about.

yes we need nimh to race. the lipos we have we got at the begining of this year so we already bought both but, we don't need to buy lipos for next year so if we want to race anywhere we need to have nimh for the 2006 season. the 3 of us that have lipos for every class also went to 3 or more races this year anf 4 if you count the CAFE race. The only lipo class's we had at the CAFE was N2 offshore and we allowed them in 1/8th scale which no one used.

There were 4 LiPo boats at the CAFE Cup. All of them 2s setups. 3 sets of Tanic 2s3p(2500) and 1 set of Polyquest 2s2p(3100). My boat ran Polyquests but got crunched and never finished.

Believe it or not Steve, you and I are on the same page with the LiPo's. I wouldn't want anyone buying or selling cells to have to second guess what chemistry to buy for 2006. If someone is giving you the impression that NAMBA is going to go LiPo in 2006 by all means forward their name to Doug Senior or somebody because to my knowledge it just isn't so. The tech isn't ready and I truly believe the current pricing scheme would kill the hobby. I'd hate to see it become just a rich guy hobby.

Try to resist the thinking that the those 3 maniacs from CAFE are the norm when it comes to FE purchasing habits. Those guys are junkies like you can't believe. They have both kind of cells for all their offshore classes (I think). Unless the 3 of them want to just race each other all summer then they'll be calling you or Chris or Ray for cells come spring.

Maybe you and I should call their wives and shut em down. LOL

If NAMBA racers are using LiPoly at their home race sites it's just a matter of time before they vote LiPoly into NAMBA classes.

However:

Thing that I see happening is that the title NAMBA is referring to the NAT's only. Clubs are doing their own things more and more.

I am interest in ALL racers and I should stop referring to the NAMBA title. My fault on that, thanks for the feedback. I hope that LiPoly takes off in 2006 myself. No matching, factory warranty.

thanks

Steve

There were 4 LiPo boats at the CAFE Cup. All of them 2s setups. 3 sets of Tanic 2s3p(2500) and 1 set of Polyquest 2s2p(3100). My boat ran Polyquests but got crunched and never finished.

Believe it or not Steve, you and I are on the same page with the LiPo's. I wouldn't want anyone buying or selling cells to have to second guess what chemistry to buy for 2006. If someone is giving you the impression that NAMBA is going to go LiPo in 2006 by all means forward their name to Doug Senior or somebody because to my knowledge it just isn't so. The tech isn't ready and I truly believe the current pricing scheme would kill the hobby. I'd hate to see it become just a rich guy hobby.

Try to resist the thinking that the those 3 maniacs from CAFE are the norm when it comes to FE purchasing habits. Those guys are junkies like you can't believe. They have both kind of cells for all their offshore classes (I think). Unless the 3 of them want to just race each other all summer then they'll be calling you or Chris or Ray for cells come spring.

Maybe you and I should call their wives and shut em down. LOL

the nats is the only place where you have to follow the rules to a T. clubs can run what they want but, still have to follow safety guildlines to keep there insurance per namba.

Yup, and with all of the diversion, the nationals may grow smaller.......it's already happening expect the recent explosion in the MidWest and a the Nats located in Mich made 2005 strong. I wonder just how big NJ will be.

the nats is the only place where you have to follow the rules to a T. clubs can run what they want but, still have to follow safety guildlines to keep there insurance per namba.

I bet NJ see's at least 30 racers and thats a low guess.. I expect there will be close to 40

so keep up the work on the nimh because alot of people will need strong cells

WOW, you think 20 to 25 from the MidWest will go?

I bet NJ see's at least 30 racers and thats a low guess.. I expect there will be close to 40

so keep up the work on the nimh because alot of people will need strong cells

no I think 10 to 15 will go.

NJ has alot of boaters in it also and lets not forget CA,AZ,TX,FL,WA just to name a few

Steve,

You got to get out more....You would have a great time. And yes The guys at CAFE will need a lot of Batts come spring.

I guess I did not realize that the nationals was so small when it comes to number of racers. 30 people seems like a low number. I know that many of these 30 race in 5 or more classes, still seems small.

thanks,

Steve

get out and travel more Steve. most races run between 20 to 30 people but you get most of the time over 200 boats.

Back