76' Sunny Jim (pickle fork)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveyK

Well, it's home. My new scale is now in my shop and the work begins. I was fortunate and thankful for all the help Steve Peterson gave me to get this thing off the ground. He allowed me to use his moulds and gave me a hand in making the hull and cowl. I will have some slight modifications to make to the cowl to make it work but nothing to crazy. We had to shorten the boat slightly when we laid it up in the mould to meet the length requirement but that wasn't to bad either. For the lay up, we used eposy resin, carbon fibre twill and a carbon/kevlar weave. All I can say is TOUGH! It came out better than I had ever expected. During the process, Steve showed me a few tricks of the trade, shall we say, which helped enormously. There are build pictures on our website, Innovative Racing, but I will also load them into a gallery here as well.

More to follow.

Dave, the layup pics were great, love to see a joined hull.
cool.gif

Well, after dealing with everything life has to offer, I finally got started on the build this past weekend. It started with cowl trimming and then progressed to hull sanding and clean-up. In between, I also started working on a horizontal wing mould since I was going to need one for this boat. I had finished the vertical wing mould a couple of weeks back and it turned out quite nice for the first mould I have ever made. Anyway, with a big list of things to do, I continued to work on the hull. Using epoxy certainly helps tremendously as there aren't any pinholes to fill. The only filling that I am working on is between the hull and deck and this is very minor. I am planning on working on it again tonight and hope to have the horizontal wing mould complete as well. The plan is to have the hull ready for hardware and stuffing tube fitting by the weekend. If I can get that done, I can get the cowl work completed in the next week and go in for paint. I am hoping to be ready for testing in mid April. I will keep you posted with additional pictures as they are available. Check Innovative Racing for pictures of the hull and deck joining.

Dave

Well, it's been some time since I last updated but a lot has been going on. The Can Am Club held it's first race and the cowl for the Sunny Jim offered a few curve balls. The first thing that I had to do was cut my nice new carbon/kevlar cowl! It wasn't anywhere near long enough in the correct area's. Once cut, Steve Peterson laid me up a filler piece which I used to lengthen the cowl where I needed it. Then ther was the filling and sanding to make it all match. Once I got past that step, I figured I should probably make a mould of it since if anything ever happened to this one and only, I would be screwed. So away I went working on the mould and while I was at it, I made moulds for the horizontal wing and also the vertical wings. These however were made to fit the turbine boats of today. Since the Sunny Jim had smaller versions of the wings, I figured that if I made them bigger, i could use them for more boats rather than just one. All the moulds came out great.

So, now that I had the correct mould for the Sunny Jim, Steve gave me some help and laid up a new cowl for me. Now with the new cowl, I worked on installing the vertical tail fin and preparing everything for paint. Long story short, I just got it back from my paint guy and will start working on getting the hardware installed this weekend. With any luck, I will be testing by mid week!

Here are a few pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_2501.JPG
    IMG_2501.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2502.JPG
    IMG_2502.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2503.JPG
    IMG_2503.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 0
Well, it's been some time since I last updated but a lot has been going on. The Can Am Club held it's first race and the cowl for the Sunny Jim offered a few curve balls. The first thing that I had to do was cut my nice new carbon/kevlar cowl! It wasn't anywhere near long enough in the correct area's. Once cut, Steve Peterson laid me up a filler piece which I used to lengthen the cowl where I needed it. Then ther was the filling and sanding to make it all match. Once I got past that step, I figured I should probably make a mould of it since if anything ever happened to this one and only, I would be screwed. So away I went working on the mould and while I was at it, I made moulds for the horizontal wing and also the vertical wings. These however were made to fit the turbine boats of today. Since the Sunny Jim had smaller versions of the wings, I figured that if I made them bigger, i could use them for more boats rather than just one. All the moulds came out great.

So, now that I had the correct mould for the Sunny Jim, Steve gave me some help and laid up a new cowl for me. Now with the new cowl, I worked on installing the vertical tail fin and preparing everything for paint. Long story short, I just got it back from my paint guy and will start working on getting the hardware installed this weekend. With any luck, I will be testing by mid week!

Here are a few pictures.
That will look sharp on the water.....neat colors....

Thanks Duck.

Ray,

Me and the boys from Innovative Racing are talkin'. We may just take you up on that. I sure hope your ready!

Dave

You guys crack me up :lol:

Oh, I hear Duty Free calling! I bet we could have a good ole time! Who's in?

I'm sure Tony J. is. Heck, Steve P. will down a couple of rye & gingers! Then look out!

How about it Tom?

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm sure Tony J. is. Heck, Steve P. will down a couple of rye & gingers! Then look out!

How about it Tom?
Mort and I caught Tom and Steve sneeking in the back door of the gin mill last year at Hobart. O Yea, going have a good time!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif

How about it Tom?

Im in.. Windsor Duty free special (4) one litre botlles of Crown for $79 bones right now... could be a long weekend ..LOL

How about it Tom?

Im in.. Windsor Duty free special (4) one litre botlles of Crown for $79 bones right now... could be a long weekend ..LOL
Don't forget the Cigars, we'll live like Rock Stars.
biggrin.gif

How about it Tom?
Mort and I caught Tom and Steve sneeking in the back door of the gin mill last year at Hobart. O Yea, going have a good time!!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
Nothin' like a party where a boat race breaks out. :p

Looking forward to going back again, should be another great time. B)

4 Bottles for $79 :blink:

Yahoo! Are you ready Tony? You can't be a two drink wonder that weekend :lol: :lol: :lol:

I still haven't heard from Tommy Boy. I bet he's scratchin his head right now! :p

Back