7.5 Help!!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jerry, I called Gary today and ordered a new carb, head shims and a bunch of other items. Thanks for your advise.

John Smith

John,

Gary is probably one of the most knowledgeable model boaters in the States. I first met him in San Francisco in 1967. You can meet some really great folks in this hobby and I greatly value my friendship with Gary.

Jerry D.

Unlike everyone else racing stock 7.5 tunnels in the Pacific Northwest, I run the large K&B carb. I believe I gain 1 to 2 mph over the smaller carb. I can not get that carb to draw with a tuned pipe. The largest carb I can run on a 7.5 mod is a Geraghty 11cc carb.

Lohring Miller

Figured out problem. The idle disk needed to be turned 1/4 rich and the needle 1/2 turn lean. The boat ran fair through idle and mid range and no stalling. I can't wait to drop the head clearance and try the smaller carb. Today I was able to run a P-245 which is normally way to big and the boat was definately much faster. Excelleration was unbelivable and the boat blew over twice. Time to add some weight for the increase in speed. Hopefully the guy with the radar will be out tomorrow so I'll have some numbers. Thanks for all the ideas! After I get the head clearance right and the smaller carb what else can I do for more speed? Does anyone have any good setup tips of the hull (32" Prather)?

Thanks, John S

John,

Improved performance is a matter of doing lots of testing of props, prop depth, thrust angle, and weight for balance.

A Prather 32 is a rather small boat for a 7.5 Mod - at least that's my opinion. The shortest boat I run with a 7.5 is my WOF34/K&B 7.5 Pro. However, that's not to imply you cannot make a rocket ship out of that hull.

Jerry D.

If you are having problems with the boat after a few laps, try raising your fuel tank higher in the boat. better fuel draw! put some foam or something like that under the tank to raise it up as high as you can without interfering with the cowling. common problem with the aircooled 7.5's.

Back