7.5 beltstart outboard conversions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drumzzzzz

years ago there was an article about mounting a .45 CMB to a lawless lower- does anyone have similar experience with fitting a beltstart marine .45 to any of the lowers? Are these setups dependable more or less compared to a typical OB powerhead?

if anyone has any pics or info would be appreciated

years ago there was an article about mounting a .45 CMB to a lawless lower- does anyone have similar experience with fitting a beltstart marine .45 to any of the lowers? Are these setups dependable more or less compared to a typical OB powerhead?if anyone has any pics or info would be appreciated
I'm currently building one myself so can't help you about how it runs. I know that there are several versions availible, the Irwin setup and one from Ernie Lafleur. I'm building one myself. Walt Radzinski is running a setup from Ernie: https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=629

This is the one that I recently got, it is one of Ernies conversions. There are many ways to skin a cat, and its a fairly simple conversion if you do a little thinking.

IMG_0487.jpg

~James

You guys just make sure you have the nut on good and tight or it will come loose and spoil your race day. I used a little loc-tite on my 45 RS and yes it does look sharp on the back of my HTB 360.

Richie R

You guys just make sure you have the nut on good and tight or it will come loose and spoil your race day. I used a little loc-tite on my 45 RS and yes it does look sharp on the back of my HTB 360.Richie R
Just got my header. A friend of mine helped me out. Now have to start on the adaptorplate. This will be my setup: click here

Hi Paul,

It looks like you have a good start there.Now just a little bit of machining, and you're there.

If you need any more dimensions,LMK.

Also take a look at the pic that James posted.Keep your eyes open for one of those bent silicone tubes on the carb. They actually come from trucks.I ended up putting one on mine too.It stops the fuel from siphoning out at high speeds and also helps keep the water spray out.

Good luck!

hey paul, what version is this motor? i need a low speed adjustment screw for mine

do you know where i may find one?

thanks

norm

hey paul, what version is this motor? i need a low speed adjustment screw for minedo you know where i may find one?

thanks

norm
Walt, thanks for the compliment, do you know where to get one of these bent silicone tubes?

Norm, I think this is a Cmb Evo 1, don't know where you can get replacement parts in the Us.

for the bent silicone tube on the carb, what about the ex. deflectors/extenders that are used on planes and trucks. much as i hate to use it for an example, the POS dolphin ob's use them to stop water spray from the belt drive from entering the carb. an auto parts store could help, also. a preformed coolant bypass hose might work, if the right diameter is available. just cut out the curved section you need. but your lhs should have the ex. tubes, not stock parts, usually add ons, to keep the bodywork clean.

This is what I have been doing. I had a couple of the OS filter tubes left from the car racing days, and I machine a nice bell mouth that goes in the open end. The other ends just fits right over the stock carb velocity stack.

I have an extra set-up Paul, and its yours if you want it.

If any one else wants a bell mouth cut, let me know. I have a couple new machines in my shop that I have really been enjoying. :)

~James

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

This is what I have been doing. I had a couple of the OS filter tubes left from the car racing days, and I machine a nice bell mouth that goes in the open end. The other ends just fits right over the stock carb velocity stack.
I have an extra set-up Paul, and its yours if you want it.

If any one else wants a bell mouth cut, let me know. I have a couple new machines in my shop that I have really been enjoying. :)

~James

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg
Hi James,

thanks a lot for the offer, i gladly would like one.

For the adapter i'v ebeen thinking about this setup: click here. It's basicly same setup as how to connect the engine to the hull. Only problem is to machine it, but a friend of mine has a mill, so we'll get there.

Paul, send me your address in a PM.

The idea is great, have you been reading my mind? We have something similar in the works.

If you need anything machined, let me know, id be glad to help if your friend cant do it.

~James

Paul, send me your address in a PM.
The idea is great, have you been reading my mind? We have something similar in the works.

If you need anything machined, let me know, id be glad to help if your friend cant do it.

~James
James, sorry to give your idea away :lol: I was thinking about Ernie's setup, it way nicer but i don't have the resources for it, so this was what i (and you) was thinking as the easiest way. For the square connection to the shaft i used the end of an old propshaft ;)

I'll pm you my address.

Paul, I got your addy, it will go out in the morning.

Post some pics when its done!

Thanks!

Hey James,

I'd like to try one of your bell mouth pieces for the CMB.

Actually,I'd like to get 3 from you.My buddy also has the same set up and of course,ya always need an extra.

LMK the cost and I'll pay-pal ya.

Also the props arrived here yesterday.I can't wait to give them a try.

Paul,

I have another adapter I'll have to dig out that I believe Jim Irwin did.It's another approach all together.It might be a little more user friendly when it comes to belt starting.

I'll post a few pics when I get home.

Walt, you just want the bell mouth insert piece right? I can do as may of those as you want, but dont have any more fo the rubber boots.

Ill get em out to you tommorow.

~James

Hey James,I'd like to try one of your bell mouth pieces for the CMB.

Actually,I'd like to get 3 from you.My buddy also has the same set up and of course,ya always need an extra.

LMK the cost and I'll pay-pal ya.

Also the props arrived here yesterday.I can't wait to give them a try.

Paul,

I have another adapter I'll have to dig out that I believe Jim Irwin did.It's another approach all together.It might be a little more user friendly when it comes to belt starting.

I'll post a few pics when I get home.
Walt,

is this the the one in the RCboatmodeler? Recently got a scan from a friend of mine: page 1

page 2 page 3

Works good?

(Drumzzz this is the artcle i think you where looking for).

Last edited by a moderator:
Back