45 Hydro in a turn

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could it be prop walk moving the back of the boat around causing the fin to wiggle some. Looks like the pulse is close to the prop pulse?

I think maybe I've solved the puzzle . It's caused more than likely by the Brake Lines from the staggered bending process on the Eagle turn fin . Next would be the flutter effect that is shown in the vid ? Interesting .

Last edited by a moderator:
This Twin 67-84 uses the same fin material thickness. Smooth flow.

Sure would be interesting to know the cause of the flutter. It's got to be over 15,000 cycles per minute.

Maybe it's in sync with the prop beats. Kinda like a micro prop walk like Rod mentioned.

wondertwin.jpg

I think maybe I've solved the puzzle . It's caused more than likely by the Brake Lines from the staggered bending process on the Eagle turn fin . Next would be the flutter effect that is shown in the vid ? Interesting .
Could also be flexing or flutter from the turn fin.

Sure would be interesting to know the cause of the flutter. It's got to be over 15,000 cycles per minute.

Maybe it's in sync with the prop beats. Kinda like a micro prop walk like Rod mentioned.
Awesome shot!

I thought about the break lines , but the Sam's JRX shows the same phenomenon.

Got to be flutter. The pattern shows evidence of massive bite and lessor bite.

Is this a good phenomenon are a bad one?

The boats having this phenomenon are doing great during its appearance. Or would they do even better?

Andy, my shots are taken with 1/2000th of a second shutter speed to try to freeze the boats and most of the spray in the shots. It isn't fast enough to freeze the props. I'm guessing this shot is taken at quite a bit slower shutter speed? This would not show the pattering in the spray.

Virginia Craftsman turn fin as well..

Sense we are running single piston motors could it be motor vibration?
Hmmm. The pattern (frequency) looks similar to a prop rooster tail.

Wonder if it's different types of motor mounting transferring vibs to the fin causing some movement (flutter)?
default_rolleyes.gif

The gas sport hydro and 45 hydro would have vastly different stiffness, I would expect resulting in quite different natural frequencies for the fin. I have been wondering if what we are seeing is the result of a cavitation bubble opening and closing on the outer surface of the turn fin?

Latest posts

Back