3rd chnl.mixture setup how to

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken Webb

Would someone on here please do a 3rd chl mixture setup. I've never used one and would like to know how to properly set one up. Might sound like a dumb request, but I'm sure more guys would like to know. Drawings would be helpful.

Thanks

Ken

How about pictures!!! I could probably do one later, what exactly do you need? Fuel line hook ups or just how they work?

In general I like to set the needle where it should be on the water and then I can go either way. Either lean or rich, I use it as a security if I'm too lean..

If I don't get home to late I can snap some photos for you.

Here are a couple pics from my outboard, I am using Don F base and a OS in flight needle. Pressure goes right to the tank and the carb feed goes to the needle base then right to the carb. Set the needle to 0 and then you can go rich or lean as needed.

And when you put a remote needle like this there is a lag in adjustments due to the fact it is farther away from the carb. Just thought I would mention this.

Tim, use your Boris meter ( with a possible known rich number), to initially set the arm 90 degrees to the base... once youve radio integrated the thing, your meter will show the scale you can adjust to and fro... I rarely have to change my main per racing events ( the scale and a good needle, is usually within the range of the arms swing).... the venues i attend are all very close in elevation, and normally i can start, rich, maybe a few clicks to clean it, launch, and slowly bring the needle in as the engine warms during mill, race trim, and even then some rich clicks to ensure the boat finishes.... there are aspects involved and prop per se, will really effect what the 3rd channel will show you... like..... mike pulling too much cup, and having to launch very rich, and lean badly to pull it... ( boat goes fast, though!).... invest in glow plugs, as trimming the third channel in as you test, will only cause you to seek more speed because the little lever can, and, well... sometimes better.... isnt.... 'luck... Mike

Boaters,

Most use a third channel needle the wrong way, to lean the motor.

Really should be used the other way to richen it up. To make power

you need to burn Nitro not starve the engine with fuel and oil. Most

are running the needle too lean and starving the engine of lubricant.

Is that the way you want to treat your nice piston and liner fit?

Think About This For A Minute Or Two?

Mark Sholund

Here is how I set mine up,

mount the needle close to the carb if possible. Most people say this makes a difference but I'm not convinced. It's a metered system so the only difference is the expansion and contraction of the fuel line..the more line the more expansion and contraction. but anyway,..

Set up the needle with the control arm at a bit less than mid way through the servo throw. Get the engine started. Use the knob on the needle to set it so that when you squeeze the trigger and go to WOT, the engine lags for maybe 5-8 seconds before spooling up. Then launch the boat. run a lap and begin clicking down the needle on click at a time. Wait about 1/4 lap between clicks. When the just engine pipes up and runs,.. note the number on the radio for the servo position. This will be a "go to" number when you feel lost with the needle. From there you probably need 2-4 clicks more depending on how far each click moves. A little bit past that "go to" setting should be a good stable and fast setting..

This is how I do mine and they work great.. can't believe I ever ran boats without them!

What servos you guys using for the needle? A Hi-tech 85MG good to go I would imagine.

I was using 82s Tim but a 85 will also work micro for weight savings or regular if you have room and don't care about the extra weight!!!

Back