3rd Channel needles

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magsden

Going to use third channel needles on my boats. My question is where to mount them. Should they be up near the carb on an outboard or can they be mounted lower, next to fuel tank. Where does everyone put these? On my cat mounting will easily be near carb. I set up my Jr XS-3 radio buttons for the third channel and it is going to be sweet for adj. very small increment adj. can be made, can't wait.

:) :) :)

You're going to be really disappointed. The JR's 3rd channels are really slow, I had a remote needle set up on my 7.5 mono and it took forever to make a change, at least 4 laps in a race. If you have to richen it quickly, forget it! I bought mine just so that I do do this and ended up by removing the servo.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Sorry to hear yours is not to your liking, Ron.

Mine is sweet. I think the fine increments are good with a fuel doctor type valve.

I did swap the 3rd channel buttons with the steering rates buttons so it was easier on the thumb tho' - can strongly recccomend that mod on the XR3.

Tim.

TIM I TOO RUN ONLY THE THIRD CNL, I WILL NOT BUILD A BOAT WITHOUT IT , RON YOU HAVE SOMETHING REALLY WRONG IF IT TAKES THAT LONG , YOU SHOULD SEE IT GO P <_< OPORTIONAL TO YOU FINGER ???

Guest said:
TIM I TOO RUN ONLY THE THIRD CNL, I WILL NOT BUILD A BOAT WITHOUT IT , RON YOU HAVE SOMETHING REALLY WRONG IF IT TAKES THAT LONG , YOU SHOULD SEE IT GO P <_< OPORTIONAL TO YOU FINGER ???
FOR THE ABOVE ,, J. IRWIN

;) on my XR3, I drilled the 3rd channel button and installed a 1/2 inch long rod that I can hit with my thumb nuckle, works ok. set the needle in the morning and adjust the 3rd from there. yep its slow but accurate. perry valve works good with 3rd channel cause its got monster adjustment threads, and no air leaks. HAPPY CAMPER

Hey guys,

I have the XS-3, it's the new synthesized receivers and the set up for the third channel is different than the Xr must be. The third channel is used by a small switch you activate with your thumb. It starts slow but if you hold the button it speeds up to wherever you want . Full throw in just a couple of seconds. If you just push and let off it moves in very small increments. I still would like to know where everyone mounts their remote needles.

I free float em, this works with a perry valve,,,,, put a 3/8 inch "Z" bend in a piece of thin brass flat stock strip, drop some solder on the inside of the 90's to stiffin it up, drill a hole in one end for valve and on the other end lay a 3 inch brass tube (the same size o.d. as a sullivan 2-56 cable) for cable directed towards the valve arm and solder tube, this will hold the valve. Out of the radio box will run a sullivan 2-56 yellow plastic cable housing, connect the yellow plastic and the brass tube with 5 inches of fuel line. I also step down the i.d. of the brass tube with the next size smaller to keep water out. lets you put the valve where you want it .

Hi Guys!

I'm in the middle of setting up a 3rd channel needle. I'm planning on using a K&B 3rd channel needle mounted just inside the transom, and run it with a std(#3003) Futaba servo. I'm worried about the elastic nature of typical sylicone fuel tubing effecting the whole thing. I assume that is why instructions say to keep the distance from needle to carb short as possible............ Would taking the time to form a copper tube to make up most of the distance from needle to carb( except needed flexible areas and connections to carb and tank, etc.) help the adjustable needle be more effective??

Bob the Fool :blink:

On my LeeCraft my Bob Violet needle is set right on the back of the transom and I drilled a hole in the cowl so I can adjust it by hand if need be once I lock the cowling down, other than that it's on the remote needle for that I use a PCM FM Futaba radio. You really should keep it as short as possible to avoid air getting trapped in the lines or stalls etc...

As for the JR Ron mentioned and the Airtronics radios with the similar feature what I do before I run is I turn n the mother board and use the acyally end point adjustmets. That way it reacts really fast.

My two cents....

I would ditch the KB. They have too course a thread to be effective. One minute your fat , the next your lean. Plus if you ever take it apart, the O ring is **** near impossible to get back in. I have use the perry valve in boats from .21 to .90 with no problems. They are on the sensitive side so you need to get the push rod as close to the the servo horn hub as possible. A few of my boats have the fuel doctor and bob violet. The majority run the perry.

Mike

Thanks for all the info folks!! I hope maybe after I get a little experience I can also help with some stuff. This board has been great. I am looking for needles now, who has Bob Violett needles in stock? :huh:

Here is a picture of one of Jerry Dunlaps boats from the rear, you can see the third channel mounted on the transom inside just inside the cowling.

Dave

JD0S21.jpeg

Latest posts

Back