3.5 prather spitfire build help/tips

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moparbarn

i will be building a 3.5 prather spitfire 1 this winter, to race next year. any tips, suggestions or experience would be appreciated. i have a prather mod kit (thanx dizzy dean) & a wide selection of pipes. what pipe or props worked best for you. i will be running a k&b (of course), ex. throttle & venturi or carb? i've run & liked both, but never on a rigger. i've also got a set of the winglets for the front boom (thanx getnoff)-needed? any help would be appreciated, as riggers are completely new territory for me. wasn't sure where to put this, as it is both ob & rigger. started a thread about this in the rigger forum, also, but asked for all replies to be posted here. thanx in advance for your help.

robin, do you have the instructions? if not i might. i can send pics of the one we got. is it new old stock or used? let me know, always here but not seen! :ph34r:

tim

i will be building a 3.5 prather spitfire 1 this winter, to race next year. any tips, suggestions or experience would be appreciated. i have a prather mod kit (thanx dizzy dean) & a wide selection of pipes. what pipe or props worked best for you. i will be running a k&b (of course), ex. throttle & venturi or carb? i've run & liked both, but never on a rigger. i've also got a set of the winglets for the front boom (thanx getnoff)-needed? any help would be appreciated, as riggers are completely new territory for me. wasn't sure where to put this, as it is both ob & rigger. started a thread about this in the rigger forum, also, but asked for all replies to be posted here. thanx in advance for your help.
If memory serves me right, :eek: stub shaft was centered on rear ride pads. 1740/3 was the prop to use. This was setup with 707 specialties exhaust throttle. B) B)

If memory serves me right, :eek: stub shaft was centered on rear ride pads. 1740/3 was the prop to use. This was setup with 707 specialties exhaust throttle. B) B)
hi first do you have the instructions this boat is basically a sundowner. if you are going to run a k&b with a pipe i would run a reb 7.5 carb this works well for me you will want to strart with a 1740/3 and try if you think it will handle it 1742/3 or pitch a 1740/3 up a bit the ride pad should be glue in the center of the tube from the transom forward put the boat on a board the lower unit should set on the board for the ride height with prop off and turn fin off of the lower unit it should be flat on the board this will let you run the boat and see if it need any neg - angle in the lower unit i hope this helps i have ran these out rigger for a long time so if you need any answer let me now

Look for Shark on here. He is the man who knows everything about those boats. He would test for Prather. So he knows what he is talking about.

i bought this new, undrilled hull, hardware, & complete instructions from shark. would be a good person to chime in, if not, he was a pleasure to deal with :) , i can pm him ;) . i've run ex. throttle k&b's on tunnels. built just like prather mod kit instructions, or with a tuned pipe, but only on tunnels. how about both a pipe & mount suggestion. i've got plenty of both. prather mount, or octura/du-bro, or............i was wondering if some pipes i didn't like on my tunnels would work here? small/old rossi, gadjetcraft, irwin quiet; or the more popular silver bullet hp, stamped irwin, or equii? in a box of parts getnoff sent me was a turnfin mount that was slightly shorter than the one in the kit. any advantage to moving the turn fin straight foward by about 1/8", maybe slightly less?thanx for the help so far, i'll need to get some 17 series props, i can see B) . i have a complete set of instructions for the boat, a separate sheet on trimming tips/updates (mentions the front wings), another on finishing epoxy glass hulls, prather mod kit, & extra info on separate sheets/updates for it. i'm in good shape there. set the cg as per instructions, or somewhere else?

Last edited by a moderator:
i bought this new, undrilled hull, hardware, & complete instructions from shark. would be a good person to chime in, if not, he was a pleasure to deal with :) , i can pm him ;) . i've run ex. throttle k&b's on tunnels. built just like prather mod kit instructions, or with a tuned pipe, but only on tunnels. how about both a pipe & mount suggestion. i've got plenty of both. prather mount, or octura/du-bro, or............i was wondering if some pipes i didn't like on my tunnels would work here? small/old rossi, gadjetcraft, irwin quiet; or the more popular silver bullet hp, stamped irwin, or equii? in a box of parts getnoff sent me was a turnfin mount that was slightly shorter than the one in the kit. any advantage to moving the turn fin straight foward by about 1/8", maybe slightly less?thanx for the help so far, i'll need to get some 17 series props, i can see B) . i have a complete set of instructions for the boat, a separate sheet on trimming tips/updates (mentions the front wings), another on finishing epoxy glass hulls, prather mod kit, & extra info on separate sheets/updates for it. i'm in good shape there. set the cg as per instructions, or somewhere else?
You want a tip on how to make that thing Really Fly?

ok,ok ,ok,,ya caught me,, <_< :blink: , that can't be how you spell "caught" is it? like being named Colon

What in the "H" are ya doin' with one of those boats Mo? Gotta be the most frustrating combo on the planet don't ya think?

ok,ok ,ok,,ya caught me,, <_< :blink: , that can't be how you spell "caught" is it? like being named Colon
What in the "H" are ya doin' with one of those boats Mo? Gotta be the most frustrating combo on the planet don't ya think?
don't know yet, jerry. just started to get set up to build it. figured i'd ask for tips, before i drilled anything. sure is the darndest tunnel i've ever seen :huh: !

just figured i'd do something different, but still stick with my ob's. .21 hydro doesn't always have enough boats for a race here, so they run riggers & sport hydros together. i'll throw it in with them & have some fun. heck, if i could figure out how to bolt an ob on a scale, i'd do that :eek: :lol: :lol: ! even as a kid, i didn't like ib's or io's on full scale boats, if it didn't bolt to the transom, i wouldn't run it ;) . saw where you visited my profile the other day, was hoping you had some info on the spitfire for me.............

. saw where you visited my profile the other day, was hoping you had some info on the spitfire for me.............
nah, just pokin' around,, those boats always make you think, "Now, Whats wrong with my motor?" kinda like runnin'

a O/B on a mono. You can race 3.5 Tunnels with 3.5 O/B Hydros here, poor guys seem to get clobbered by the tunnels

all the time.

no really,,, somebody gives you one of those boats,, you go to sleep,, you wake up, a plant,,,

Back