3.5 outboards aussi

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys

NOt making any rushed decisions

Just interesting to find out information on motors.

EG - rossi takes a different glow plug. Apparently it is better, but you have to pay more for it.

Stuff like size, weight, power, are all interesting to know.

COsting is another important thing that i wanted to compare.

I have several other projects on the go before i look at getting a OB nitro engine.

david
Well yes the Rossi probably comes with a turbo plug head... which I believe are options also on the CMB and MAC (and the NOVAROSSI.... we forgot that one too...)

Yes those plugs are more expensive and (apparently) get better power --- but it is easy to convert any engine from turbo plugs to normal plugs. The disadvantage of turbo heads is you cant play with different head capacities and shapes. Where it is very easy to make standard plug head buttons so potentially easier to get the cmpression right.

Yet again is that extra power needed? What kind of boat are you planning on putting it on, and what is your style of driving???? These questions usually will lead you to a conclusion of which engine to use...

For instance if you had a Villain I would almost suggest a K&B for it because the boat will be overpowered with the others (eh Kris???)... If you are constantly on the throttle then probably a MAC... If you are a Cautious driver then maybe a CMB or Rossi... and here even the brand of tuned pipe will make a difference too.....

You might also want to consider the availability of parts.... do you know anyone who stocks Rossi parts???? What makes of engines does your local hobby shop stock or have access to?

Believe me, the last thing you really want to get into is a pissing competition over which one goes the best...

Hi Tim , I was lookin' at those two links you put up there and if you read the OS

fiqures in the metric dimensions for bore and stroke , it's in "cc's" .

And in the TT (link) info, none of the spec's are for the .21 OB

Great literature Huh?

Hmmm..... yeah the capacity listed may not be all that legal..... and it looks like we have our first engine designed by the same people who designed the TARDIS.... Man if it is a 28mm bore that dont leave a lot of room for fins!!!

The TT and OS share the same bore / stroke (funny that!) 16.6mm bore / 16.0mm stroke.

Things the websites don't tell you.

The OS has a nickel plated sleeve - not chrome. The head incorporates the bowl and the cooling - hard to modify or make new custom ones. Not a great performer with a pipe competing against the other "piped powerheads". Stock muffler works well as a "stock or sport" style boat.

The TT runs in the opposite direction to other O/B engines. Prop direction is the same as other brands so no special props etc. This can be a pain if you have to start 2 boats with the one starter and one of them isn't a TT. The stock needle valve in the carb is not very friendly. The TT is also the heaviest 3.5cc O/B engine. Responds well to mods.

Rossi - the carbs can be a real pain. There have been cases of porous parts, and engines that just don't perform for no obvious reasons. I've also heard of them blowing rods. My rossi experience wasn't good! Parts?

K&B - I don't like hate mail so I'm not going there. On a small light boat these things can perform reasonably. Parts availability was non existent for a while.

CMB RS21 - seen little of them so far, can't comment. I like long stroke 21 engines generally! See MAC I guess :p :p I'm told they are similar. Early Green heads has PTO issues.

MAC - I've played around a little with this one recently - it sure loves to rev! So far it has been extremely reliable and pulls some great rpm with ease! Finding the right pipe seems to be the trick to this engine - we tried several.

Novarossi converted to O/B. SIMPLY AWESOME! Rev's AND torque. Top quality metalurgy and machining. Carbs aren't very nice. Rear bearing is extremely spendy as it is an unusual size. If cost is a factor - you won't be buying a Nova. The crank has to be replaced and a PTO fitted to make it an O/B engine. More Bucks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hull will be own, 30inch. Mod villain/nem design.

Cowl will be carbon fibre dumas look a like.

Got some ideas for something different. It will work - "i know boats"

Fuel tank - own

Leg will be Carbon fibre.

Looking for that really cool motor mount that i think was on Geno's boat.

Driving style.

Depends on mood im in. lol

Dont know why i am looking at nitro - im up for 600bucks min to get motor and pipe. Then i have to build a hull, another 100. Servo for throttle, not to mention the fuel filters, fuel, its adding up real quick. Ive got all the electrical stuff in other hulls but im not going to swap them all the time.

As i said - got other projects on the go to finish first before i get into it.

David,

Why not build a "stock" boat? Keeps the costs way down..... Greg won the HV champs with a stock K&B SS and a Villain, and Villains / K&B's came 1st, 2nd and 3rd at the 2005 nationals - so they definately aren't slow. I think you would find the transition to racing nitro easier with this style of boat too.

Also, a piped Outboard isn't what I'd consider to be the friendliest introduction to nitro boats either - best saved for later once you have some more experience.

There is a K&B 3.5 listed for sale on Oz ebay today, or maybe one of the guys on here has a spare engine they might part with for a good price. Fuel filter - they only cost a few bucks. Fuel - figure on approx. $20 a litre for 50% nitro - and you only need 7oz. of it for a race. It's amazing how long 5 litres of fuel lasts if you only have a 3.5 O/B tunnel! 67's and 90's etc drink the stuff like there is no tomorrow!

Servo for throttle - just use a standard servo! The rudder is where you need a good hi torque metal geared servo.

Gino's motor mount is a "High Jacker" from Capt. Vic. They are very nice - but not essential if you are trying to save a few bucks. That could be a later addition if you really want it.

Tim.

better to say.... (regardless of hull)

I have everything apart from motor and what goes with that.

Just have to pull appart one electric of mine.

2006 this time it should be on the water.

Not in a hurry.

Racing here is not really big. My electric stuff comes first

Hi all

Dave id rekon by this time next year when your ready to run Your Nitro it will be as big as other classes,

If the same guys run at BOB plus the extra guys that are going to run it will be one of the biggest classes at BOB

just my thoughts

Also guys and i know i asked TIm D this question but is there an age limit to racing Rc Boats??

Im thinking of entering my Son in BOB he is 10yrs old,he needs some practice but by then he should be ok as long as he stays out of

the way of the quick boats.

Greg

Also guys and i know i asked TIm D this question but is there an age limit to racing Rc Boats??

Im thinking of entering my Son in BOB he is 10yrs old,he needs some practice but by then he should be ok as long as he stays out of the way of the quick boats.

Greg
My brother raced a 3.5cc hydro and a 7.5 outboard many years ago from the age of 8. As long as they stay in their lane, doesn't have to be tight or wide, just a straight line the quick guys will go around him.

Might have to check with Tony Grinter and see if the Insurance is okay with it.

The scariest thing is that they become better than you after a while. Just ask my Dad.

greg,

get him into it.

my old man got me into boats

Although he didnt have one himself, he helped me build them. I was 10 or 11 at the time. (ive been boating now for 12 years) I didnt have radio gear till i was 13, all i had was a string connected to the battery terminal and once the boat got to far away i tugged on the string and it stopped. Then i just pulled the boat back to shore.

The joys of being a kid.

Was i glad to get my radio gear. Could actually drive a boat around.

With you coaching him in the stands im sure that your son will have no drama driving the boat around. After all Dick Crowe (FE boat guy in US) had is son driving 35mph electric boats at age 4. He won that class i believe. At the end of the day, it is the next generation that will continue the sport/hobbie

Hey i am back finally ;-)

I tried to tell Dave to build a sport/stocker but he wants to play with the 'faster' ones. I really dont want to play with the piped motors and stuff, but i thought i would give it a go and see what it is like...The old K&B on the Villain is sweet, she aint going no-where fast, it will be my fun 'reliable' (well sometimes) boat while my Rossi will be my experimental thing.

Craig, the Villain is definately over powered by the rossi...funny thing is most people who look at it think it is a 7.5 :D especially compared to the K&B

I know i am late, but again congrats on the win Greg ;-)

Kris

hey all greg i would get ya kid 2 race there is a 11year old at our club running a outboard i have been helping him out and he has been doing ok he will be at bob racing.

dave i would stay with the stock just untill ya know wot u r doing with the nitro motors then go with a piped 1

laters dion

Hey guys

Appreciate all the support for getting the young bloke involved,

Ill email Tony etc and find out the go.if all cool ill join him up as a junior member and we will see how we go.

Greg

Hey guys

Ill email Tony etc and find out the go.if all cool ill join him up as a junior member and we will see how we go.

Greg
Great idea. Go for it mate.

Hey could you shoot me the details of the Hotel, I lost the number.

MJ

hay all

on the topic of joining i will need to do this on sunday how much is the fee and who do i see thanks

regards

ian

Hey guys

Greg
Greg,

geez, I dunno mate - you wouldn't want him showing up the old man now would you?????

Just kidding, that's a great idea - as others have already said - go for it!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gino

Hell Dion, you know how much trouble you had after going to a mod boat before you fully understood your stocky ;-)

Kris

hay all

on the topic of joining i will need to do this on sunday how much is the fee and who do i see thanks

regards

ian
Ian,

Shane Deacon is the Secretary - he'd be the man to talk to.I'll PM you his details.

Tim.

Tim,

Is that shane deacon with the electric hydro, and the 2 cats one white other yellow. All electric

Can you PM me his details also. I have been trying an email but i think that it is the wrong one. trying to get in contact with him since after HV about meeting up when i come back down.

Cheers

Glad that you made it back safe kris

I hope to be working on my boats over this weekend to repair the damage, and make the mods to the tunnels that you suggested. Looking at getting hacker 77 for ESC - then run 32 cells in something.

Ill chat to you later when i go back to work and start getting $$$

Thanks tim

Just a reminder to you guys that are thinking of coming to the BOB. Pre book your motel now or you won't get in anywhere else when it get's closer as Yarrawonga is in it's busiest tourist season that time of year!!

Need anymore info give me a call.

regards,

Bucky

Back