3.5 hawk question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

I have decided to rebuild my hawk properly and I have one quick question for now.

Are the balsa blocks that hold the brass tubes suppose to be at 90* with the side of the sponson closest to the tub ?

The turn fin side sponson is the one in question.The left one or non turn fin looks like both blocks are parellel with the top of the sponson planking or decking.I know this one cannot be parallel with the ride pad becaise the ride pad is not level on the floor for that sponson

If Viewed from the rear of the sponson with the rear and the top of the sponson panels removed i can eyeball these blocks and i have the outer end of the front one lower then side closest to the tub and the rear block outer end is higher than the side facing the tub :(

In other words one point up and one points down

I would think they should both be parellel with the top of the sponson and the ride pad.

Hope i explained it well enough .

Terry

I have decided to rebuild my hawk properly and I have one quick question for now.
Are the balsa blocks that hold the brass tubes suppose to be at 90* with the side of the sponson closest to the tub ?

The turn fin side sponson is the one in question.The left one or non turn fin looks like both blocks are parellel with the top of the sponson planking or decking.I know this one cannot be parallel with the ride pad becaise the ride pad is not level on the floor for that sponson

If Viewed from the rear of the sponson with the rear and the top of the sponson panels removed i can eyeball these blocks and i have the outer end of the front one lower then side closest to the tub and the rear block outer end is higher than the side facing the tub :(

In other words one point up and one points down

I would think they should both be parellel with the top of the sponson and the ride pad.

Hope i explained it well enough .

Terry
Hey Terry, I would also think they should be parellel....give Dumas models a call or Gary Pruesse at G&M boats...he's the guy who designed the boat.( See ya dont have to worry about stuff like that when your building an SS-45!! ha ha) have a good one, Bill

Terry

sounds like you are talking about the sponson tube holding tubes. the balsa blocks that align the brass holding tubes in place are gluded perpedicular (spelling) to the inner sponson sides. (90 degrees). they are also gluded dirrectly to the balsa top piece of the sponson tops.

hope this helps you out.

carl

Yep that is exactly what i wanted to know . thank you and i will keep your number this time !

As i said i am correcting the building flaws from the builder and will make this one the beast i can as per steve's suggestion.

The front sponsons were not coated inside and everything was water soaked .It will be done correctly this time and the ends of the brass tubes bade water tight.

Thanks guys I have gary's number but could not reach him the last 6 times i tried this week.I want to order a few parts.

Are the rear sponsons completly hollow or is there a spar in them as well ?

The orange one has been disasembled and i am putting it back to gether the one in wood (was blue under orange , no primer has been stripped and assembly started with epoxy fillets and then it needs to be coated thorougly before assembly.

Terry

Last edited by a moderator:
Think I'd just build a new set, pretty sure that kit comes with full size plans, maybe someone has a set?

Maybe even WOF? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry, when you see these ones when i am done you will think they are new..lol.I just need a kick in the right direction.

One is not bad and the other is repairable for sure.

They will be stronger and better sealed this time round...

Anyone have a set of full size plans they would part with ?

Terry M.

Do yourself a favor, use the inside, top, and ride pad for patterns, and build some new ones wood over foam, I think you will like it.

Just my 2 cents

Tom

A few things.

The 3.5 hawk did not come with the brass tubes in the sponsons.. thats a mod.. never the less the right thing to do..

do this to help your build

Cut two brass tubes the depth of the insertion into the tubes X2 and add 1" to both.. Use the two tubes to build the sponson at the same time.. lets see If I have a pic..

Like this.

After they are cured cut them apart.

Grim

Thanks tom maybe the next set but these ones IMHO are worth saving and i have them pretty much ready for coating of the inside with thinned epoxy before i close them in.

Great idea mike not sure if i can do this with the current state of my sponsons since the balsa and the plywood tops are both removed but this has given me an idea how to keep them true.

So far it not going too badly and easier than i thought one i got to the bare wood.

Terry

pick a reason Mr T.

Poor quality of glue

No coating of the wood inside.

Water alowed to enter the brass tubes and into the uncoated wood and saoked the inside.

I took one totaly apart and the other one had the top removed as it was not nearly as bad I let them dry for days in by my woodstove and when all dried out i re-assembled one reinforcing a few joints/evening.

Now i need to get some west sytem and finish the joints and then coat the inside with epoxy and reinstall the spar straight and coat the insides with the west system.Then coat and install the decking.

Then coat the outside with epoxy, sand prime and paint.

It will be done correctly this time and i will also make a new set of spare sponsons this winter.

I would make two sets, foam core is less likley to flex the sheeting, less stress on glue joints. Most times wood that has been soaked like your talking about it developes warps in the laminates of the ply. I would use the parts as templates and build new. But hey.....some of us really like to rebuild using the old parts. Been there, done that! Good luck.

I would rather fix an old boat then build a new one.. I love digging into the repair and solving problems.

I can see in the hawk sponson pics that no 1/8" Square was used between the keel and the bottom.. 1/16 to 1/16 just do not work..

Grim

pick a reason Mr T.Poor quality of glue

No coating of the wood inside.

Water alowed to enter the brass tubes and into the uncoated wood and saoked the inside.

That's what I was alluding to, if the original glue was bad, you'll be trying to bond to it (it's soaked into the wood)... ;)

The sponson that was the worst is the one i took apart and removed the glue,.The glue did not appear to be soaked into the wood at all.There were no delamination of the the ply at all either.I made nice fillets from epoxy i had here and now have decided to not go any further intil i Get some West sytem and get set up to use that product on steve's reccomendation.

I also plan on coating the outside of the entire sponson with west system, and spray them with primere and yellow klasskote.I know i know more weight but They should be good and strong and waterproof and nitro proof...

Other than a few races/year it is pretty much for fun anyway.

I have never built WOF but prolly could manage with a bit of help.

Steve ball is sending me drawings of the templates and what is needed to make a new set of sponsons so i may make a brand new pair and save these ones for spares.

I figure it could not really hurt anything if i fixed them up.....

Grim I have only ever bought one new boat and it was not finished.I rigged it myself and replaced a crooked stuffing tube log .Everyhing else has been used and sometimes abused.

I tug and pry on the sponsons to see how they hold up and honestly i would say they will not come apart again unless I hit something pretty hard.

If it does not work I am not out that much time maybe a few hours if it does then i have a spare set of sponsons.

Keep the comments comming guys

Grim , I think i know what you are referring to on the keel but would you have a pic or could you explain .

Terry

Latest posts

Back