3/16 or 1/4 cable drive Which One

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dannyual767 said:
Question:  With the bearing able to spin, won't it tend to wear out the soft aluminum strut bore  :unsure: ?
78174[/snapback]

No because the stuffing tube goes all the way thru the strut. :)

BINGO ! ! !

Yes brass against brass with a little waterproof grease good for a couple 3-4 runs per lube job. I use the nice ones from Speedmaster on all my scale boats but on my mono's and riggers I usually make my own.

Hey Bill,,Don, Is there a "shaft" in all this and a "solder ferrule" and a "Drive Dog"

Sorry to be so much trouble, but what is the connection at the engine and how do

ya hold the prop on?? :ph34r:

I'm just amazed at how much I think I know but really am totally off base about:

QUOTE(dannyual767 @ Dec 22 2004, 07:58 PM)Question:  With the bearing able to spin, won't it tend to wear out the soft aluminum strut bore  :unsure: ?

No because the stuffing tube goes all the way thru the strut. :)
So, I'll have my stuffing tube extend all the way through the strut and then I'll have this brass bearing inside the stuffing tube which is inside the strut. Do I have this correct now?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if We are gonna get an answer,,They're probably banging their heads

against the wall right now :lol:

You would think with a tube inside a tube and one goes thru the strut,,that the

strut would resist up and down adjustment,,,Let alone where the cable goes

in all this and how the prop is held on there. :blink:

I'm "bushed" from work,,I think i'm gonna lay down.

Jerry Wyss said:
I don't know if We are gonna get an answer,,They're probably banging their headsagainst the wall right now :lol:

78193[/snapback]

Ok I'm back from the wall now.......... :rolleyes:

Stuffing tube goes from motor thru the hull to the strut (you heat the strut & push the stuffing tube thru until it's flush with the back side of strut).

Strut bushing gets slid onto cable up the the drive dog.

You grease the cable & slide it into stuffing tube leaving a gap (about the same as thickness of cable your using) between the end of strut & drive dog.

Tighten the cable collet at the motor end, install your prop on the strut end.

I think you know what to do from here.............. :p

Hold It,,So the Props have a 1/4 in hole in them? Drive dog set screw tightens

into cable?

Jerry Wyss said:
Hold It,,So the Props have a 1/4 in hole in them?
78196[/snapback]

You guys are killin' me.... :p

I run 1/4" cables with the step down shaft to 3/16" prop size. All the good scale props are typically 3/16" shaft. B)

I Still Am!! :lol: I don't think anybody made it clear how the 1/4 cable turns into

a 3/16 shaft within all that Tube. Another thing if the hex comes loose the whole works is goin to the bottom :lol:

Jerry Wyss said:
I Still Am!! :lol: I don't think anybody made it clear how the 1/4 cable turns intoa 3/16 shaft within all that Tube. Another thing if the hex comes loose the whole works is goin to the bottom :lol:

78206[/snapback]

The stub shaft that is soldered onto the end of the 1/4" cable steps down to 3/16" :rolleyes:

I use the conventional collet & haven't lost a cable in years. Properly maintained this set up is virtually bullet proof. B)

I know that Aeromarine sells a 1/4" cable with a stubshaft that steps down to 3/16". www.aeromarinerc.com part number 1612, $26.00.

YOU GUYS CRACK ME UP :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HEY DON ARE YA WEAR'N YOUR HELMENT YET. :huh: :blink: :p

YOU 2 WANT ONE OF US TO SEND YA A PICTURE???????????? :unsure:

ALL KIDDING ASIDE THIS IS REALLY A SIMPLE SET UP. ADJUSTMENT OF THE STRUT ON A RIGGER OR SCALE HYDRO IS FAIRLY LIMITED WITH THE 5/16" BRASS TUBING BUT THERE'S A TRICK TO THAT AS WELL. GOING THROUGH THE HULL WITH A STUFFING BOX OF 11/32 BRASS TUBING ALLOWS YOU TO MAKE MORE ADJUSTMENTS TO THE PRIMARY TUBE (5/16") AND ALSO MAKES IT EASIER TO REPLACE, IF IT EVERY GETS DAMAGED. I USE 1/4" ROUND CABLE WITH THE 1/4" TO 3/16" STUBS FROM EITHER TIDEWATER OR SPEEDMASTER.

SOMETHING ELSE I DO, IS DURING THE DOWN SEASON OR WINTER STORAGE OF MY CABLES, I REMOVE THEM FROM THE BOATS CLEAN THEM GOOD WITH BRAKE PARTS CLEANER AND RE-GREASE THEM AND STORE THEM WRAPPED IN SARAN-WRAP IN A LONG BOX. KEEPS THEM FROM HAVING RUST FORM ON THEM.

ANYTHING ELSE GENTS THIS EVENING??????????????? : :unsure:

OK, So that cable is all made-up when you buy it , like the 3/16 by 3/16 that

Octura or Prather?? use to sell,,already bonded together? I've never seen that

before in the 1/4 cable by 3/16 shaft,,course, we only have one hobby Shop

in Oregon that sells boat stuff and I think theres only,,,10 of us that race in this state. :lol:

Yeah Bill, Could ya speak a little slower,,,and I think Both of You should send us

a picture :blink:

Jerry Wyss said:
I don't know if We are gonna get an answer,,They're probably banging their headsagainst the wall right now :lol:

You would think with a tube inside a tube and one goes thru the strut,,that the

strut would resist up and down adjustment,,,Let alone where the cable goes

in all this and how the prop is held on there.  :blink:

I'm "bushed" from work,,I think i'm gonna lay down.

78193[/snapback]

ok you could use a brass tube bushed strut with a ferrell and square drive, the stub shaft bushing is supposed to spin the aluminum strut will have a brass tube thru it, so its steel shaft running in the brass bushing in the brass tube pressed into the aluminum strut. the speedmaster struts are bored for hte brass tube size, Octura struts have a reducer bushing that you can use 1/4 od 3/16 id bushings in.

Ill try to lay a strut /shaft assembly out and get a picture of it fo you. a picture is wrth more than all those words im sure.

PHIL

Phil, Everythings alright now, 'cept for Don's Head! Gawd,,I haven't laughed that hard in years. We got it finally,,sounds like a Hot set-up. I need a new strut for

the "Pennzoil" boat anyway,,I'll get the stuff I need from one of the places that

was recomended. :)

OK Danny, "I" finally got it :p

Back