3/16 or 1/4 cable drive Which One

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Wyss

Could a bunch of you guy's tell me what you are using on your Sport 60 or 1/8th

Scale for cable drive and engine connection?? I used 3/16ths and square drive

on the boat I'm holding in the avatar and broke one cable in the year it was in

one peice. Best prop was X460,,but the boat is about a pound heavier now due

to the "anti-pole vault" mods I did to the hull ,,and it may end up being a pound more than that.

I wouldn't go under 1/4 in anything over a .45.

Jerry Wyss said:
Could a bunch of you guy's tell me what you are using on your Sport 60 or 1/8thScale for cable drive and engine connection?? I used 3/16ths and square drive

on the boat I'm holding in the avatar and broke one cable in the year it was in

one peice. Best prop was X460,,but the boat is about a pound heavier now due

to the "anti-pole vault" mods I did to the hull ,,and it may end up being a pound more than that.

77266[/snapback]

60, 80, 90 and 1.0, nothing but 1/4 cables. You are asking for lost props and heartache is you use 3/16". The engines are much too powerful for 3/16 and are getting faster with time. Like playing the roulette tables - DON'T gamble. You will lose eventually and if luck is on your side, it will be your very best prop!

Jerry,

I agree with the others, 1/4" "NO LESS" have a 3/16 in my 94 Bud T-4, that is how Dick Caspari set it up, so far OK but only time will tell.

Safety insurance even with a 1/4" cable put a Dubro landing gear collet between the cable collet on your engine and the shaft log tubing. I know most of you will say "Pain in the @$$" but I have saved a few good props by doing it that way when the cable came out of the collet or forgot to tighten it up enough. As for prop size I generally use a X457 or X455-3 on my heavier boats.

Bill Diedrich

Ventress, Louisiana

Home of "Boats on De Bayou by Bill"

Thanks Bill, and Russ you brought up a point that I was going make wid Bill

He's talkin' "Wheel Collar" and I use solder ferrule and they (Octura) make

a Ferrule thats 1/4 cable X 3/16 shaft. I haven't lost a prop and shaft with this

setup. Square drive or flex hex?

OOPs,,OK Bill I gotcha,,,got it, got it :ph34r:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had to change over to 1/4" cable at the begining of this year do to braking the 3/16 cables on my scales ..Both time it was a new cable, I run Sq to Sq, drive on all my boats and had never broken a cable like this in these boats.. both cables twisted right in the middle of the cable..No more problems now with the 1/4" cables.

Roy Munoz said:
I had to change over to 1/4" cable  at the begining of this year do to braking  the 3/16 cables on my scales ..Both time it was a new cable, I run Sq to Sq, drive on all my boats and had never broken a cable like this in these boats.. both cables twisted right in the middle of the cable..No more problems now with the 1/4" cables.
77364[/snapback]

:huh: Square To Square Roy,,,,Both ends Square????? :blink:

I started with cullet drive 3/16" on my roundnose scale. I broke 3 shafts the first year.

I then switched to 3/16" square drive and haven't broken a shaft in 4 years.

Brian

I started with cullet drive 3/16" on my roundnose scale. I broke 3 shafts the first year.I then switched to 3/16" square drive and haven't broken a shaft in 4 years.
That really makes me wonder what could be going on :unsure: . 3/16" is 3/16" as far as I would think. Did you leave at least a 3/16" gap between your drive dog and the strut when you used the collet drive? I'm sure you did but if you didn't, that would explain what happened to the 3 broken cables :eek: .

I failed to mention, I'll be runnin' a Picco "Corvette" Blue head 67 that I bought

from Tim Duggan. It has a OS 9 ? carby and Gawd knows what else he's done

to it,,but its probably perdy strong. Also he sent a list of props it runs,,(around

here somewhere) and as I remember they were of the larger gentry. I ran the

same motor but basicaly stock with the "Muck" pipe,,,It was fast but "light switch

Power". With everything I've heard here, 1/4 drive is probably best,,but I really

like "square" drive,,I don't really know, I've never used 1/4 before. :huh:

Jerry Wyss said:
Roy Munoz said:
I had to change over to 1/4" cable  at the begining of this year do to braking  the 3/16 cables on my scales ..Both time it was a new cable, I run Sq to Sq, drive on all my boats and had never broken a cable like this in these boats.. both cables twisted right in the middle of the cable..No more problems now with the 1/4" cables.
77364[/snapback]

77371[/snapback]

Yea a guy out here west makes them in 3/16 .. I too run the 82U55 hull with a CMB green head..The prop it likes is the P255 - P260 cut to 54 mm,and an Irwin Q pipe ( 60/90 )..The 1/4' cable is Sq at one end only and slivered sodered at the other end...

Roy Munoz said:
Jerry Wyss said:
Roy Munoz said:
77364[/snapback]

77371[/snapback]

Yea a guy out here west makes them in 3/16 .. I too run the 82U55 hull with a CMB green head..The prop it likes is the P255 - P260 cut to 54 mm,and an Irwin Q pipe ( 60/90 )..The 1/4' cable is Sq at one end only and slivered sodered at the other end...

77420[/snapback]

I took my 82u55 Ms. Executone up to Roy's house and that's how he set up my cable, a 1/4 square on square....It's sweet.

I ran 3/16 square for years. A cable would generally last a season and I would replace it during the winter rebuild. If the boat is set up properly ( Good alignment on the cable, and does not hop) 3/16 will last a long time. That said 1/4 is virtually bullet proof. Cables squared at both ends can be had for cheap at the local lawn tool shop. (think weedeater) I can get two scale drive lines from one cable.

Mark

Mark Anderson said:
I ran 3/16 square for years. A cable would generally last a season and I would replace it during the winter rebuild. If the boat is set up properly ( Good alignment on the cable, and does not hop) 3/16 will last a long time. That said 1/4 is virtually bullet proof. Cables squared at both ends can be had for cheap at the local lawn tool shop. (think weedeater) I can get two scale drive lines from one cable.
Mark

77525[/snapback]

Thanks for the "Weedeater" tip, I didn't know that,,I've put mine threw the paces

,,tryed every whacker attachment Known and ended up building my own with

"music wire",,indestructable! hehehe,,Swamp. :p

Thanks Don, I was wonderin' about the "drag",,My friend Jim Hill has 1/4, but

with a flex hex thing and once I don't think he got the cable in the hole right

when he tightened it up and that thing vibrated badly. I want to avoid that

part , at least with ONE??? ONE?,,,Square end?? Some were sayin' square on

square and I still don't know what that means :blink:

Jerry Wyss said:
Thanks Don, I was wonderin' about the "drag",,My friend Jim Hill has 1/4, butwith a flex hex thing and once I don't think he got the cable in the hole right

when he tightened it up and that thing vibrated badly. I want to avoid that

part , at least with ONE??? ONE?,,,Square end?? Some were sayin' square on

square and I still don't know what that means :blink:

77623[/snapback]

Who's collet was he using? I don't use sq. or sq. to sq. drive, just don't like 'em. :rolleyes:

I really don't know who's collet he was using, I bought the engine originally

and there wasn't any flywheel nut of any kind that I can remember,, Engine

is a CMB Racing "Greenhead",,a Beauty of an Engine.

I think I remember now,,it had a flex thing that came with it,,,,i think :ph34r:

And the FACT the is absolutely NO more drag turning a 1/4" cable than a 3/16", contrary to popular belief :rolleyes:

Don, I'm just not sure about this. Let me try to use some logic or a hypothethical situation.

Imagine our 1/4" shaft and it is solid and is riding in a bearing. Now imagine another solid shaft that is now 1 foot in diameter riding in a bearing. (For this example, lets imagine that the shafts are made of some alien material from Roswell that has no weight!) The 1/4" shaft has a circumference of 2 X pi X r or 2(22/7) .125=.786" and the larger shaft is 2(22/7)6=37.71". Now with this exagerated example, the small shaft would only have to "ride" through .786" of rotational distance and resultant friction within the bearing for each revolution. The larger shaft would move through 37.71" of distance with resultant friction per revolution.

We could apply this to 3/16" vs 1/4" shafts as well but obviously, the differences won't be as dramatic. Its probably negligable but I still say its there!

Not only that, but our flex shafts run inside much larger OD brass tubes than what I have in my simple hypothetical example so my thoughts may not really hold water :lol: . The friction characteristics are way different and probably unpredictable :unsure: .

In any case, if its a larger engine, use a 1/4" cable and be done with it :D !

Back