.21 rudder

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big roy

Guys, who makes a good rudder set up for a .21 rigger? I will also be changing the mount from the left side to the right side.

Roy

I will order the .21 mini rudder next week from who knows? lol but it is a start to my straightening out the new boat, thanks for the advise.

What servo are you guys and gals running for a rudder servo?

Roy

I will order the .21 mini rudder next week from who knows? lol but it is a start to my straightening out the new boat, thanks for the advise.
What servo are you guys and gals running for a rudder servo?

Roy
Std futaba S 148 , or a hitec 645 MG , same size more torque , but not really necessary .

I bought the new speedmaster .21 mini rudder, it is really nice. Question would you re engineer the back of the boat to put the rudder on the right side or would you leave it on the left side? If I leave it on the left all I have to do is slightly modify the mounting bracket. If I move it all to the right side I will have to re mount the strut brackets, modify the way the rudder servo is mounted in the radio box and patch some holes in the transom, I can do all of that but asking your opinion. I also bought a new steering servo, a Hitec HS-645MG I think it may be overkill but I want the absolute best there is for the new boat.

Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Hi Roy,

Unless you had the 645mg as a servo in there you will probably have to rework that any way. I would move it to the right side, but I would also consider replacing the transom with a clean piece of wood ( so it would not need holes patched). But like what was said before some boats run with the rudder on the left side. Here is a link to a pic of a left side rudder on a rigger.

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...8&pos=-8003

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...m=70&pos=19

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Roy, I tried about every position there is for a rudder (some not on the transom). I had to find out for myself. So much that the test boat was beginning to look a lot like swiss cheese.

I also run mine on the left. :)

Charles

Hello Roy, I tried about every position there is for a rudder (some not on the transom). I had to find out for myself. So much that the test boat was beginning to look a lot like swiss cheese.I also run mine on the left. :)

Charles
Interesting you did all that Charles, it always just made sense to me to put it on the LHS to the help counter act prop walk, did you notice any other benefits? Downside? :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Roy, I tried about every position there is for a rudder (some not on the transom). I had to find out for myself. So much that the test boat was beginning to look a lot like swiss cheese.I also run mine on the left. :)

Charles
Interesting you did all that Charles, it always just made sense to me to put it on the LHS to the help counter act prop walk, did you notice any other benefits? Downside? :rolleyes:
Terry, it is interesting, that you being a pilot, that you would not know that with the drag of the rudder blade in the water, being so close to the thrust line of the boat, that being offset to the right or the left of the prop only has a small effect on the trim. I am almost ashamed of you. :p

The exact position of the rudder on the left side of the prop makes a large difference in letting the boat turn without loosing much speed. The visual effect is almost as if the boat was accelerating in the turns.

All farther details are classified. Have to talk to the Grand Pubah of boat racing to get security clearance before releasing them. :)

Charles
Terry, it is interesting, that you being a pilot, that you would not know that with the drag of the rudder blade in the water, being so close to the thrust line of the boat, that being offset to the right or the left of the prop only has a small effect on the trim. I am almost ashamed of you. :p

The exact position of the rudder on the left side of the prop makes a large difference in letting the boat turn without loosing much speed. The visual effect is almost as if the boat was accelerating in the turns.

All farther details are classified. Have to talk to the Grand Pubah of boat racing to get security clearance before releasing them. :)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Drag nontheless tho...

Back