20 size scale/sport hydro plans/kits????

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had this topic on the Marty Davis listbot last year. There is not much to choose from other than the Dumas line. There is the Tuttle sport 21, blew by you boats, Ira Cotton plans and the Dumas pay n' pak,dragon flys etc. After all this I decided to design and build my own. Its based on a wood over foam sponson design with a center tub style. The sponsons are separate and attach to the center tub with screws and are adjustable. I've installed a speedmaster rubber mount and plan on a Mac 21 for power. E-mail me at [email protected] for pics....

wow... real nice looking scratch build there Rob!

my best idea is to get the sport 40 plans from Dave Franks and scale them to about 29 inches.

here is the link:

http://www.geocities.com/dfrp2000/index.html

i got a set of the "next Generation" plans and they look real good. do a news archive search on intlwaters main page (bottom) for more info and pics of the plans

Try contacting Arno Birts in District 8. He has a very fast .21 hydro design. I don't know if he has plans, but the boat is catching on in this area.

Ray :D

Instead of scaling down Dave Franks sport 40 I would just make his 12 cell Oh Boy! Oberto with stonger wood. It is 28 inches long, 14 inches wide. I have built one of these boats and I think it is great. Mine is using electric power, but I think it would have been really easy to substitute stronger wood for the balsa and 1/32 inch ply.

i thought about that.... but I would think about 30 inches would be better.

Hey guys,

I'm running in NAMBA District 9. This district has about

15 sport 21 hydros running.

I'm running one of Bob Tuttle's hulls. Overall the Tuttle

hulls run pretty good, the running surfaces need a little

tweeking before they run great. They can be a VERY fast hull

when setup properly. I have run within a second of the NAMBA

6 lap record a few times with this hull.

I don't like BBY. I have heard that Randy's kits are pretty

rough.

MTO makes a 21 but it looks too small for the modern engines.

I haven't seen any of the northwest boys run yet. I have heard

rumors that they can run with the 21 outriggers, but I have

yet to see a time that reflects that.

The MAC 21 is the engine to run. It will whomp anything else

I have seen.

A key point on these boats it to get enough weight FORWARD

because the hulls get very light at 55+ mph. I had to add

alot of weight to the nose of my boat to keep it on the water.

Good luck whatever you decide,

Chris Attebery

NAMBA 786

Hi Guy's,

some years ago the japanese manufacturer PILOT used to make ply hydros for 21 & 40 sized motors - I would think that there hull could be updated to more modern tech. Does anyone out there have a copy of the plans - as they were full size plans in the kits?

cheers

GT 8)

Back