.12 class in Australia???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tim,

With all due respect, weren't we talking about boats for beginners? Yes your 21 is pretty quick, but the motor on the back of that thing would cost more to build up from new parts than my 90's! Hardly the sort of stuff a beginner will buy. And the performace of a stock K&B, TT, or OS is hardly eye opening. For a beginner it is fine tho. ;D

I'm probably losing friends fast for saying it (in this crowd), but I think the best beginners class is already existing, and quite popular. It's called petrol mono. Cost is about the same or less than most other boats (not counting stock OB tunnel). Anyone who can start and run a whipper snipper can play. Fuel is cheap, engine maintenance is low. Boats are big and heavy, so can generally take a bit of rough water and wind (the enemy of OB tunnels) and the speeds are similar to that of 45 mono, so they are not too quick. Because everyone uses the same motors, even with stock and modified motors the racing is generally pretty close. It is easily the biggest class in Adelaide, and is where most of the beginners start.

Unfortunately the whole petrol vs nitro stuff means that the nitro guys suddenly think there should be a beginners class that runs glow motors, hence Pro Am 45. Not needed. Just start with petrol mono. 8) We are starting to get some of the petrol guys who started in petrol moving into the nitro classes here, so it does happen.

Did it just get political in here?....... : :)

The little 12 riggers are a good place to start for people who have scratch building skills and not a lot of money. As Hammer says, they are good fun.

Ian.

Hi Guy's,

I even agree that maybe OB's aren't the best place to start, but they are a good option. To say there is no performance from a stock OB is being a bit hard as it is around the same as a 21 mono, or are they too slow as well. We are talking about beginners not seasoned racers.

Yes I also agree that Gas mono's is a good class to start out in - reasonable simple motors and cheap to run. Not exactly cheap to set-up. Assuming a basic set-up that most guy's will see and want to run.

Motor $500

Hull $300

Hardware $300

Radio $250

Bitsnpieces $100

What happened to cheap entry class????

I don't think there is a good answer to this issue or it would have been found by now. Whatever someone starts with we should help and support them as best we can and keep them in the hobby/sport. Maybe persuade them to get another boat more suited, 2nd hand maybe, so that they can come back to the all singing and dancing one later.

Hey, but it's just my $0.022 (GST incl)

GT : :)

HMM!

Whats an outboard? How about a .15 size CANARD hydro or even twin .12 CANARD. ( ;DYes Ian its already on the drawing board)

If you can drive a multi and touch the bouys around the course you can drive a real boat (Rigger of course) in heavy blind traffic with confidence and at full speed. ;D

There is a HUGE market in the .12 size area. How many Hobby Shops in your area carry .12 car stuff? How many T-maxx and T-Maxx copies have they sold?

If you develop a kit that uses off the shelf .12 size engines and can handle the water people will buy it.

Three words... Pro-Boat Miss Budwiser. Why is this RTR a hit? Think about it.

1. Pull-Start .12 (Small Block)

2. Great Looking Hull

3. Hull is easy to drive and can handle the water

4. Retails RTR for $300.00

I have been reading this thread and have noticed we are trying to decide what someone else should run. Instead we should have a entry class for people to run what they brung. People build a boat because they love riggers, some love the scale look. Not every body is going to enjoy building a boat because it is the entry level class. The new guy shows up at our pond because he already has a boat or is building a boat and then found out about the group that is racing every Sun. morning. There will be a guy with a sport 40, a guy with a traxxas, and the guy who picked up a used 3.5 tunnel. They all need to just get in and run some laps. From there they should have some options of classes were they don't have to race against national champions.(we don't have that problem here).

.12 hydro, .12 mono, there coming with or without classes.

-MikeP

Actually MikeP is right. You cant pre-determine what a beginner will build. Most of these people already have boats or are building boats by the time they get interested in racing. They build or buy what appeals to them without real consideration of racing.

Our club has a class we have called Indy to allow boats which do not have a current class in our club to have the opportuninty to race. This is so beginners can at least get some laps in, and some of the experienced racers can have a play with their more exotic 'travel racing' boats that dont run in club racing. In practice however we have not run this class much because most of the beginners in our club have come in with petrol monos.

It is nice to have a class to direct interested spectators to, like Pro Am 45 (for those who dont know this is a spec class of 45 monos with spec hulls and hardware, that runs on fuel with no nitro). But currently only experienced racers have taken up this class, and a beginner would struggle to be competitive!

There is no easy or simple answer. Beginners will build whatever they feel like, irrespective of what we would like them to build. And I would be surprised if even 1% of interested spectators actually went on to build boats.

Ian.

Do you have to Race to be an RC boater.

There are 15-20 people who come on any Sunday to the pond where we practice over here. We do everything that is required to be considered a club.

We don't collect dues unless we want to buy something for the club, and then, everybody must agree and split the cost, for example, our radar gun.

I will say that out of the 20 folks that run boats, only 5 of us have ever raced in a organized race. The others are just there for the fun of it. Let them have fun.

Hammer

A good beginner's boat is a DPI tunnel hull mono's are a good second stage boat riggers there harder to setup there more advanced this is will be my fourth year racing the first year i raced a Dpi tunnel hull there really easy to setup and the handel perfect mono's there a little bit harder i have a 21 speedmaster with a rossi motor in it its an awsome handling boat compared to the aeromarine titan 21 the aeromainre titan handles like crap even on smooth as can be water they flip like crazythe only thing good about them is that the turn well.The bigger you go the harder the get

check out my site

http://www.ericsboat.20megsfree.com and go to www.wwwtoolz.com to sigh up for my messege board how do you get to my messege board ? you go to http:''ericsboat.20megsfree.com and click favrorite sits or links and then go down and look for my mesege board then click that and that takes you to it .

Folks,

All those differnt suggestions have merit.. I think the 'run what you brung' idea probably has the most merit, and to some degree the clubs themselves will have different ways of handling their newbies.. I dont think there will be one solution to this problem...

Anyways i think I might start playing .12 riggers... :)

EMS Racing Do you think they will notice the A90 with .12 written on it???

Hey Ozzy,

What do you think about the .12 rigger class? Going to build one?

Tim.

Did someone say CANARD?????

It just so happens I have the mould for the Wizard Canard (67-90) sitting around. Maybe I should make a few for the fun of it???

EMS Racing Wings??? what wings???

Craig,

I have seen a Wizard, but the one I saw didn't go. How do you reckon they would go with a modern motor (like a certain spare A100)? 8)

Greg Leigh used one to win the Vic Champs many years ago didn't he?

Ian.

Gee every Wizard I saw (in the hands of a modeller who did know the difference between cyano and nitro) went very hard... the only canards I have seen that didnt work well were the fishers when people massively underpowered them...

Tony Ricciotti ran his with a CMB 90 at a Nationals years ago... if it wasnt for him deciding to drive it into the dock a little quick it would have cleaned up that year...

I might even put one together for a toy... always liked the look of them.. :)

EMS Racing vintage class???

Craig,

The Wizard I saw didn't go because of the World's Worst Pipe fitted to his Picco P80. The boat was sold after he worked out the pipe problem, unfortunately he never tried the boat again, and I dont know where it went.

Do you think they could be competitive now? They had to run X series props didn't they? It would be a bit limiting.

I always like the look of carnards too, my second ever race boat was a home built K&B 21 outboard powered carnard! Was not very good, but taught me a lot about boating..... 8)

Nitrocrazed racing: Did someone say twin A-90 carnard? :p

Ian,

My 67 version ran X series... the 90 version ran 14 series from memory..

EMS Racing you aint crashing? you aint pushing!!

Hey Ian

Rekon I could get that A100 to fit in a Canard ;D!!!!!!!!!!!

Might have to build it a bit stronger.

True Ian i would have trouble keeping up but remember how hard it is to get past me if im in lane one!! :p

Further my b/pressure tester is OMRON HEM-722C1 (M4)

OK.......somebody post a pic of a canard so I know what the heck you're talkin' about!

Back