.12 class in Australia???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EatMyShortsRacing

Time for a new can of worms....

you know .12 pull start riggers would be a good starting point for new boaters....

Race them around 4,5,6 and the milling buoy... :)

EMS Racing We are not Schizophrenic

Hi Guy's,

Riggers .12cui ior not are not a good starters boat. > :(

We should encourage mono's for beginners. My issue with the small motors is the price of the high HP littleuns is they might as well get a .21 (like hammer was/is selling). Have I missed something isn't this what the AMPBA Pro-Am mono class for? ???

I guess these are a low stress fun machine for the guy's who invest serious $$$$ and time in their race boats but as an introductory class? :p

Just my $0.022c (incl GST)

GT

You talking about the .21 SE-MX that I have. I still have 56 of them. Not going so fast, but if you need any, just let Dale know. We can figure something out for ya!

Time for a new can of worms....

you know .12 pull start riggers would be a good starting point for new boaters....

Race them around 4,5,6 and the milling buoy... :)

EMS Racing We are not Schizophrenic
I think you will have no problem running the full course with them. I think they are an entry level into riggers, but they really scoot. Like others though, I would recommend a mono for a first boat.

Hammer

Yes there is the pro-am class.... but that would still cost well over AUD$1,000 to build. With an el cheepo .12 pull start boat you could be up and running for half that. Yes there would be your nitro nuts who would have the hottest .12 under the sun in one, but the idea is to have something that is relatively quick and inexpensive.

..and it gives an alternative to people who see us racing the riggers and want one of them instead of a mono. I would encourage the mono first, but I have had people turn up to our club in the past and want a boat, seeing our riggers run, and they want a rigger to start with. Steering them towards the mono only puts them off....

Personally I think it would be fun to run one as a fun class and over a short course. Firstly because I think you could get a lot more traffic happening in a short course (looks better when all the boats are close to eachother), would be a good introduction to driving, and not as far for rescue to go collecting the deadies!!! LOL

EMS Racing fun fun fun till daddy took the nitro away

Hmmm,

I think those small riggers would actually be a good place to start. They can be built for not very much at all if you go about it the right way.

Mono's are not necessarily the best place to start. Yes they are inherantly slower, but if the setup is wrong then a mono can be a real pig to drive, and an inexperienced driver will not know the setup is wrong. Spinouts, bow steering, stuffing, blowing off the water. I have been racing monos for years and am still dealing with this stuff. The little boats have it worse because any wave is a big wave.

Besides, a rigger can be sratch built, and if the design is simple enough then it can be made reasonably well by someone who has a little skill in model building and doesnt have the cash to pay for a 15 SG.... A mono would probably need to be a glass hull, $$$. Wood mono hulls are much harder to build right.

That said, I dont think the AMPBA needs ANOTHER class. Just get 21 multi going again, that is the best place to start racing..... ;D

Ian.

Hi,

Bring back multi!!!!!

If setting up mono's is such a problem how are newbies going to cope with handling of a rigger :p Surely traffic and weather are going to give them a harder time than a mono.

Who knows ???

GT

hey if enough guys turn up with Multis... who knows!!!

I have a 45 multi almost ready to rock... its an old one with an OPS 40 gear drive in it... Think it is one of the Bass's old boats... I also have a Polaris 90 hull and I am having the Zircon fixed (also 90 size)

and hey I have a 21 engine sitting on a gear drive too.... that could easily find its way into a multi...

Multi racing is a very good way of teaching people how to drive too!!!! I remember being in heats of 11 boats... now then you had to drive!!!

EMS Racing Lets multi!!!

I'd be very surprised if turd boats made a comeback. RIP.

I think the perfect entry class is 21 Outboard. No hardware to buy, just the O/B, radio, tank, lines and a hull. Less than $800AU including a 2 channel radio, a starter, clip and some fuel.

I have some New in Boxes T.T. .12 and .15 marine engines if someone wants to build a cheap .12 rigger

Tim.

TimD,

I have to agree tunnels, tunnels, tunnels, let's all chant the wisdom and fun of OB tunnels.

Inexpensive to set-up, cheap to race, fun-fun-fun, & about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on. LOL

Oh, and did I mention they look like 'real' racing boats.

TUNNELS!!!!!

GT 8)

EGAD!!! CLIP-ONs...

No offense but my outboard days are over... I have owned a few post hole diggers in my time and no more...

EMS racing Inboard only...

Tim,

Well the performance difference for start, the critical adjustment required to get the boat planing right, breaking skegs and having to replace the whole lower unit (especially after spending so much time polishing and modifying), stripped servo gears, boat can be blown over with one erratic gust of wind, little choice in motors and harder to drive..

EMS Racing No patience... ;D

Performance difference - Old days yes - nowdays no.

Motor choice - K&b used to have a monopoly - not any more. O.S, TT , Rossi,CMB, and now MAC have a 21 outboard motor.

Servo gears aren't an issue anymore - I still use a hitec HS215mg that Ive been using for 5 years.

Skegs - yep that can be a pain in the @55. So can wind but thats part of the challenge.

Tim..

The performance difference is still there... that bit of cable that makes a 90 degree bend sure doesnt help. Add to it the granularity of the adjustment available on outboards and getting that power to the water is another challenge again...

Its OK for someone who is prepared to invest the time and effort, just for my money its too much time and effort to invest for little return...

Now a 90 outboard with a serious drive system (and where the hell does the pipe go?) I may consider playing with...

EMS Racing The ridiculous made simple

I'm not going to start any arguments here :-*

If your MAC21 mono is up for a grudge match - bring it on!

Just stirring!

I still am of the opinion it is the cheapest way to get into a racing class - and it already exists!

Have a good weekend!

Post hole digger? That is the analogy of all analogies! Back to the .12 riggers. I let my 12 year old son run my rigger last Sunday. It goes over 50 easy, and he had no problems making it behave. I have been running the big stuff for years. I never thought that I could be turned on by a .12. Boy was I wrong. These little buggers are fun, fun, fun. They are also an economic way for the hard core racer who wants to polish up before a season, or do some 3rd bouy inside passing practice.

You can also grab them out of the water as they are going by, adjust the needle and toss it back in with no problems. Do that with a twin 90! OOOUUUUCH!

Hammer

Back