11 MOD Tunnels - Caines Racing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JR,

I have 12 oz and 16 oz fuel tanks that I won't ever use. You and Joe are welcome to them. I can bring thing to the practice day on Saturday.

JD
Jerry, Sounds great! Thanks man.

When we convince you to build a .67 mod, I can give them back...
default_laugh.png
Nice one JR. Would love to see Jerry running a 67!!!!

JR,

I have 12 oz and 16 oz fuel tanks that I won't ever use. You and Joe are welcome to them. I can bring thing to the practice day on Saturday.

JD

default_laugh.png
Been there(K&B 67 Outboards both stock and mod), done that, have decided that downsizing to 21 OBs works well. But, it will be interesting to see how the new NV 67 OB performs. At least with a tune pipe it will not be as loud as the stock K&B 67 OBs. That engine was the ultimate "Fuel to Noise Converter."
JD
Jerry,Remember my dad's 67 Mod that he ran without the pipe? He just hacked off the back of the constricted part of the lower end exhaust outlet. That thing was SO LOUD. Eventually you made him muffle it, so he took a can muffler, cut a rectangle hole in it and mounted it sideways on the back of the lower end similar to how the new 7.5 K&Bs are muffled, but before that was available. Then he drilled 4 or 5 holes in the bottom of the muffler so that it wouldn't actually do anything...
default_laugh.png

You can sort of see it here:

med_gallery_6483_1934_731920.jpg
JR,

What hull is that. Looks like an older Proglass!!

JR,

JD

default_laugh.png
Been there(K&B 67 Outboards both stock and mod), done that, have decided that downsizing to 21 OBs works well. But, it will be interesting to see how the new NV 67 OB performs. At least with a tune pipe it will not be as loud as the stock K&B 67 OBs. That engine was the ultimate "Fuel to Noise Converter."
JD
Jerry,Remember my dad's 67 Mod that he ran without the pipe? He just hacked off the back of the constricted part of the lower end exhaust outlet. That thing was SO LOUD. Eventually you made him muffle it, so he took a can muffler, cut a rectangle hole in it and mounted it sideways on the back of the lower end similar to how the new 7.5 K&Bs are muffled, but before that was available. Then he drilled 4 or 5 holes in the bottom of the muffler so that it wouldn't actually do anything...
default_laugh.png

You can sort of see it here:

med_gallery_6483_1934_731920.jpg
JR,What hull is that. Looks like an older Proglass!!
Ron, that's a Rod Geraghty wood hull. Not sure who molded the ABS cowling. He had it for years and it had a few different cowls. My dad ran a bunch of Rod's wood boat designs in all tunnel classes in the late 80s and all through the 90s. This was his favorite hull. He loved driving it with that .67 on the back of it.

Notice the step in deck of the center section. I recently asked Rod about the purpose behind that, because I have never seen it in any one else's tunnel hull design. Pretty fascinating.

Here is the same hull on the cover of Propeller Magazine when he ran it as a stock 11cc at the 1990 APBA Nationals in Olympia, WA.

post-6483-0-11528800-1515989026.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So I emailed Lawless a week ago to see about picking up a couple of their lower end water pickup fittings. It looks like they would fit the K&B lower with minimal modifications.

Just talked to Fred couple weeks back

Thats not like Fred to not return an email hes usually very prompt on that hope everything is all right

My last email with Fred was on 01/15, nothing out of the ordinary with the conversation. I do know he does get busy with other items. Have you called him?

Jarcaines is that your dad's Miss US U2 in the background ? I would like to know more about it. You could PM me with some info please.

Thanks

Brad
Brad,

Its not. That was at the NW Model Expo sometime in the 90s. No idea whos boat that was.
My bad....memory went to hell on me...lol

Wrong guy....

The Caines duo is on point. Great job guys. The original Leecrafts had the inserts so you could cut out the cockpit and the wood formers were there. Love the look with the scale drivers. Cant wait to see pics of them on the water guys.

Im definitely going to have some fun with building these with J.R. And even more fun when we hit the water.

Got ahold of Fred at Lawless. I think the previous email got lost in the shuffle or something, because he responded immediately and got me a couple water pickups just a few days later. Really appreciate it Fred, they look like they will work great.

What servos are you all using to turn these big outboards? I am looking at the Savox SC-1256TG or the Turnigy TGY-1270HV. Will either of these work? Do you have any other recommendations? I'd prefer to go with a single servo if I can.

I use the 1270 on my 7.5cc and 11cc race tunnels with zero issues. Great servos and tons of power

Latest posts

Back