1/8th Atlas Update.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Pachmayer

Hey Guys,

Hey Guys,

WOOHOO! All up weight on the skeleton (complete framework) is a scant 1lb 3.7oz. materials used where 1/8" balsa, 1/8" lite ply, 1/8" 5 ply. I have a few ounces to shed off of that weight because several of the center framework will be removed after the bottom has been sheeted. I should be on target for that 3.5lb max weight.

Things are shaping up now! I'll post some pics next week.

Paul.

Long live the memory of the Blue Blaster and Bill Muncey!

Hey Guys,

Hey Guys,

WOOHOO! All up weight on the skeleton (complete framework) is a scant 1lb 3.7oz. materials used where 1/8" balsa, 1/8" lite ply, 1/8" 5 ply. I have a few ounces to shed off of that weight because several of the center framework will be removed after the bottom has been sheeted. I should be on target for that 3.5lb max weight.

Things are shaping up now! I'll post some pics next week.

Paul.

Hello Guys,

Here's a shot of the frame on the jig. So far the guled-up weight is 1lb 4.5oz. She's straight as a pin too.

atlasf4.jpg

Paul.

Update 11-26

Hey Guys,

I've installed the stringers and smoothed the top out so she's ready for sheeting. Now it's looking more like a hydro!

atlasf5.jpg

atlasf6.jpg

Paul.

forresterace said:
1/4" mahogany should be good, eh Paul? :wacko:
I dunno, Doug. While mahogany would look sweet, I think this is a case where the extra strength of 1/4 inch marine plywood is required. :)

KW

Hello Guys,

1/4" mahogany should be good, eh Paul?
That's exactaly what I'm going to use, you read my mind! <_<

Here's a shot of the bottom with the non-trips and stringers installed. I'm using 3/32nd ply for the non-trips and sponson sheeting.

atlasf7.jpg

Paul.

Hey Paul,

Beautiful work...as usual.

What is the length over all? The reason I ask is that it looks a tad long from the rear of the sponsons to the transom.

I only say that since the P sport I ran in Mazo had that issue. That boat was very stable but wouldn't get the rear end up until a 3rd way down the straight.

I'm in the middle of building another new P sport for next year. Like my O sport it's made from foam/kevlar/carbon fiber. The bare hull should come out around 12 oz..

On another note - Doug Campbell changed the ride surface of his shovel nose hydro - the deadrise is much flatter now than the original batches. Somewhere around 6 degrees I think. We did some late fall testing on his shovel and it sure seemed better so he went ahead and made the changes to his plugs.

Later,

Dan

Hello Dan,

Nice to see ya here! How's things up in MN?

What is the length over all?
It's 42 1/2" oal and the afterplane is 24 3/4". I "think" it's about right balance wise, we'll see though. Considering it's an 1/8th scale hull the weight is coming in pretty light and also keep in mind the strut will be mounted under the hull. These big boats are cool!

TTYL, Paul.

Hi Paul, Looks great so far. Arew you making provisions for draining the water out of the sponsons and main hull? Trust me they all leak! Roger

Hello Roger,

Nice to see you here! I'm curious why you say they leak? I don't plan on having any drain holes on the boat, don't see how water could find it's way in?

Paul.

Latest posts

Back