1/8 Scales in the Northwest (R/C U, UNW): All NAMBA?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PakMan

I am asking this question for my own information. I am not on the Board, just looking for input from those that are willng to provide it.

Is there a reason that UNW, and R/C U should, or should not share the same insurance/sanctioning body? I know the $45 (approx.) to be a member in each may or may not be a factor. Please speak up. The ruling from the R/C U board will likely be made next weekend.

If any of you members (from either club) would like to voice your opinion. I would urge you to speak now, or forever hold your peace. I personally would like to see common sanctioning/insurance. I don't know all the insurance issues, and that may influence my decision, but I just think the union makes sense at this point in time... from a 'racing' standpoint. Maybe I'm not informed. Please enlighten me, and ...

Please comment.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

David Jensen

PakMan

Last edited by a moderator:
I am asking this question for my own information. I am not on the Board, just looking for input from those that are willng to provide it.
Is there a reason that UNW, and R/C U should, or should not share the same insurance/sanctioning body? I know the $45 (approx.) to be a member in each may or may not be a factor. Please speak up. The ruling from the R/C U board will likely be made next weekend.

If any of you members (from either club) would like to voice your opinion. I would urge you to speak now, or forever hold your peace. I personally would like to see common sanctioning/insurance. I don't know all the insurance issues, and that may influence my decision, but I just think the union makes sense at this point in time. Maybe I'm not informed. Please enlighten me, and ...

Please comment.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

David Jensen

PakMan

Dave there is no reason at all for every one to be differant except for the ego thing. The board keeps saying they want to be like the big boats but they have not been in APBA for how long?

DJ

I am surprised that you would raise this issue in this venue. I think it is a mistake to do so. I am not on the board either. However, I have worked hard to assist my son with research in this area. And, it has nothing to do with ego. Even UNW doesn't necessarily call itself a NAMBA club, because all they run is Scale, just as we do in RCU.

Although I have no vote I would propose that a change such as this should go to a vote of full membership and then only after everyone interested understands the basic differences between coverage afforde by each sanctioning body.

Its always good to hear peoples opinions, right? I myself keep going back and forth on which insurance we should have as I hear more and more. My vote right now is to not vote, lol.

I remember the meeting where tha other District 8 clubs decided to rejoin NAMBA and RCU stayed with the APBA. Since that time there have been many quiet attempts to bring RCU back. Scale racing is the largest group of model boaters in our area. They have been very active in developing electric racing as well. Gas scale should grow with the introduction of the classic thunderboats. I believe this district would benefit from the inclusion of RCU. There is no reason the two nitro scale groups or the electric scale groups would all need to belong to a single club. However, combined events like the Northwest Scale Championship and this year's Electric Nationals are an excellent meeting place for all the clubs just like the various non-scale clubs meet at the District 8 points series. The clubs can all race under their local rules, but use the NAMBA rules for combined events. NAMBA does not yet have electric 1/10 scale or classic thunderboat rules. Your input into these classes would be valuable. I believe that NAMBA has emerged as the strongest model boat organization in the country. Our current insurance and leadership are excellent. You would be a valuable part of it.

Lohring Miller

If any of you members (from either club) would like to voice your opinion. I would urge you to speak now, or forever hold your peace. I personally would like to see common sanctioning/insurance. I don't know all the insurance issues, and that may influence my decision, but I just think the union makes sense at this point in time. Maybe I'm not informed. Please enlighten me, and ...

Please comment.

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,

David Jensen

PakMan

Hi David,

As a guy who has raced both clubs ever since I started in model boat racing, I think it would be a great idea. I am a past President of UNW and the current Race Coodinator so I think I am in a position to say that Namba has always treated UNW extremely well. I see no reason that they would treat RCU any different. UNW does consider itself a Namba club, but our members just don't care about setting regulation type race courses for records and stuff like that. Namba has allowed UNW to retain it's own racing rules as long as we do our best to follow the insurance regs. Just like RCU, we are mostly just a bunch Unlimited hydroplane geeks that spent one week in August hanging out at Stan Sayers pits (or July in the TC pits) when we were kids, and are only interested in scale boats. If you walk through our pits on race day there is just as much conversation about past and present unlimiteds as there is about model boats.

Mike

I thought the question was why couldn't UNW & RCU race under the same insurance. Has nothing to do with the research or what insurance RCU decides to use, or UNW. I didn't mean to sugest that a change on not to change was a EGO matter. Several years ago we went through the same thing about insurance and stayed with APBA. I was told that one of the reasons was to be aligned with the big boats, not the only reason but just the one of them. Times change and so does insurance coverages and the board of directors (competion commitee) will make good recomendations then we can all vote on the issue. The new members to the board will bring in new ideas and do there best to improve the racing and fun factors.

As there will be lots of discussion regarding the politics around the insurance issue, I would like to bring the discussion around to the economic component. Because of the way NAMBA issue's race site insurance (one set fee per race site for all NAMBA races per year) as a group the clubs can all lower costs if we were all NAMBA. As an example, in 2007 RCU,UNW, E-rcu and the District 8 group all held races at the Twin Lakes race site. If we all had been under the same insurance carrier we would have cut those fees in half. As someone that races my scale boats in both RCU and UNW I currently have to pay insurance premiums to both carriers, under the one carrier scenario I would have enough dollars left in my racing budget to pay the entry fees for three more RCU races that under the duel insurance option I would not be able too attend. There are many other examples of how a single insurance carrier in the NW would benefit all racers financially. So just from the economic standpoint I would cast my vote for RCU to go with NAMBA.

Marty

DJ
I am surprised that you would raise this issue in this venue. I think it is a mistake to do so. I am not on the board either. However, I have worked hard to assist my son with research in this area. And, it has nothing to do with ego. Even UNW doesn't necessarily call itself a NAMBA club, because all they run is Scale, just as we do in RCU.

Although I have no vote I would propose that a change such as this should go to a vote of full membership and then only after everyone interested understands the basic differences between coverage afforde by each sanctioning body.
Bill,

I have not talked with you in a couple weeks, but my intent is to get people thinking about the possibility and voice their ideas for discussion PRIOR to the R/C U board vote. I think this thread can be productive and maybe bring up some thoughts from people not on the board. It is ABSOLUTELY NOT my intent for the R/C U board to enter, raise, defend or even comment in this thread.

I was hoping this thread could be presented to the board (next week) as a voice from (R/C U, & NAMBA District 8) as to what they are thinking. I know not all the membership is on this board (from either club). I have been wondering if I should suggest a link to this thread be put on our Web-page as a heads up for the R/C U membership??

'This issue in this venue' ??? I know this (I/W) is not a North-West Venue, but we don't have a good (any) way to let membership discuss these issues. Most will not go the meeting next week. The response from Lohring was very helpful. I don't know if his comments were based 100% in fact (and I don't know who could confirm, and I don't care to debate if his comments were 100% accurate to all that viewed them), no matter, but I do expect that Lohring posted them as his 'viewpoint'. I would like to see the comments free from: ' I believe that NAMBA has emerged as the strongest model boat organization in the country', because I think those comments i(n my opinion) can cause some feathers to rise. But, I know he feels as he has written, and I just want to help get some more information before the issue is decided. Just looking for input/viewpoints fellas'.

You have my # & my email. I am trying to support you, Dave, and ultimately the club. Let me know this is counter-productive and I'll step-away from this until after the meeting.

Also, I hope others will stay away from the EGO issue, other than to say that you, as a voice commenting (posting) think EGO is a large contributing factor to the decision, if that is why you are commenting.

Sincerely,

DJ

Minor edit 12/2: DJ

P.S. - Please have the courtesy to sign your name name/affiliation when posting. Thanks (Ron) ;) !

DJ

Bill,

I have not talked with you in a couple weeks, but my intent is to get people thinking about the possibility and voice their ideas for discussion PRIOR to the R/C U board vote. I think this thread can be productive and maybe bring up some thoughts from people not on the board. It is ABSOLUTELY NOT my intent for the R/C U board to enter, raise, defend or even comment in this thread.

I was hoping this thread could be presented to the board (next week) as a voice from (R/C U, & NAMBA District 8) as to what they are thinking. I know not all the membership is on this board (from either club). I have been wondering if I should suggest a link to this thread be put on our Web-page as a heads up for the R/C U membership??

'This issue in this venue' ??? I know this (I/W) is not a North-West Venue, but we don't have a good (any) way to let membership discuss these issues. Most will not go the meeting next week. The response from Lohring was very helpful. I don't know if his comments were based 100% in fact (and I don't know who could confirm, and I don't care to debate if his comments were 100% accurate to all that viewed them), no matter, but I do expect that Lohring posted them as his 'viewpoint'. I would like to see the comments free from: ' I believe that NAMBA has emerged as the strongest model boat organization in the country', because I think those comments i(n my opinion) can cause some feathers to rise. But, I know he feels as he has written, and I just want to help get some more information before the issue is decided. Just looking for input/viewpoints fellas'.

You have my # & my email. I am trying to support you, Dave, and ultimately the club. Let me know this is counter-productive and I'll step-away from this until after the meeting.

Also, I hope others will stay away from the EGO issue, other than to say that you, as a voice commenting (posting) think EGO is a large contributing factor to the decision, if that is why you are commenting.

Sincerely,

DJ

Minor edit 12/2: DJ

P.S. - Please have the courtesy to sign your name name/affiliation when posting. Thanks (Ron) ;) !
Now that David and I have been crossing over it only makes sense to have one insurance carrier. Providing that NAMBA meets our needs. 1000 other model boaers cant be wrong.

czar

As a person who is currently building a scale boat and has not decided if I want to race with one or both groups I have a lot of intrest on how this will go. I currently belong to NAMBA so UNW makes the most sense but I don't even know what RCU has to offer. What are the differences? Thanks Greg Roth

As a person who is currently building a scale boat and has not decided if I want to race with one or both groups I have a lot of intrest on how this will go. I currently belong to NAMBA so UNW makes the most sense but I don't even know what RCU has to offer. What are the differences? Thanks Greg Roth

This simple answer is:

UNW has Namba Insurance.

R/C U has APBA Insurance.

Both Clubs have passionate, quality R/C Modelers.

I hope R/C U can make a decision that allows you to experience both clubs with a minimum of 'extra' effort, and possibly an incentive to do so. I would enjoy running with you Greg.

DJ

This simple answer is:

UNW has Namba Insurance.

R/C U has APBA Insurance.

Both Clubs have passionate, quality R/C Modelers.

I hope R/C U can make a decision that allows you to experience both clubs with a minimum of 'extra' effort, and possibly an incentive to do so. I would enjoy running with you Greg.

DJ

Well, I had hoped to stay out of this discussion. And as I begin typing here I still think it might be a wise idea. But there are two cents just dying to jump out of my pocket and onto this page.

APBA versus NAMBA. I trust the Brandts, who are researching this information for R/CU with an open mind. I will be interested in what they tell us. But as the primary contact person between our APBA incsurance carrier and an injured spectator, I may have had a unique perspective about insurance and racing. I would like to share that with you all.

R/CU, like any model club, prides itself on operating safe races. But accidents happen and one happened to us this past season. The costs for putting a person in the hospital for five days and three surgeries must be prettty huge. I don’t know because our insurance carrier has been handling it for us. This regrettable situation has not been a problem for R/CU, primarily because we were operating safely and our carrier stepped in to handle things for us.

You get a slightly different perspective on things when it all hits the fan. And the only reason that I am chiming in here and now is because I have had this experience recently. For that reason, I am quite reticent to ‘fire’ our old carrier even before the bills on our claim have been paid. It is a bit like thankiing the Fire Chief for saving your house after a stovetop fire, but then telling him that you are looking into fire response protection from the next town even before the smoke clears. Kinda weird.

It is great to discuss the pragmatic reasons for staying or leaving APBA. And they are good arguments, all. But remember this- if you are R/CU, you could be asking to change horses in mid-stream. Is that a good idea? APBA has been good to us- far beyond just the insurance coverage which we have used. I understand the desire to save $45 in membership dues, but for me this is not enough to toss a good friend to the side. Please consider all aspects of this decision carefully as you go forward. It is important!

Shoot- let’s go racin’!

Marc

Well, I had hoped to stay out of this discussion. And as I begin typing here I still think it might be a wise idea. But there are two cents just dying to jump out of my pocket and onto this page.

APBA versus NAMBA. I trust the Brandts, who are researching this information for R/CU with an open mind. I will be interested in what they tell us. But as the primary contact person between our APBA incsurance carrier and an injured spectator, I may have had a unique perspective about insurance and racing. I would like to share that with you all.

R/CU, like any model club, prides itself on operating safe races. But accidents happen and one happened to us this past season. The costs for putting a person in the hospital for five days and three surgeries must be prettty huge. I don’t know because our insurance carrier has been handling it for us. This regrettable situation has not been a problem for R/CU, primarily because we were operating safely and our carrier stepped in to handle things for us.

You get a slightly different perspective on things when it all hits the fan. And the only reason that I am chiming in here and now is because I have had this experience recently. For that reason, I am quite reticent to ‘fire’ our old carrier even before the bills on our claim have been paid. It is a bit like thankiing the Fire Chief for saving your house after a stovetop fire, but then telling him that you are looking into fire response protection from the next town even before the smoke clears. Kinda weird.

It is great to discuss the pragmatic reasons for staying or leaving APBA. And they are good arguments, all. But remember this- if you are R/CU, you could be asking to change horses in mid-stream. Is that a good idea? APBA has been good to us- far beyond just the insurance coverage which we have used. I understand the desire to save $45 in membership dues, but for me this is not enough to toss a good friend to the side. Please consider all aspects of this decision carefully as you go forward. It is important!

Shoot- let’s go racin’!

Marc

Marc,

100% agree with your comments about the Brandts, their research efforts, and ability to present accurate information to the R/C U board & members.

It appears to me that you have brought up a very good point regarding timing... Unfortunately, R/C U did have an accident last year. This thread was not started because R/C U is unhappy with our insurance carrier. Quite to the contrary, you being point-man, and commenting above, has helped all of us understand better what it really means to be supported. Based on your comments, I can understand that you feel it would be a bad time to move... I have not talked with you enough to know if you see all the reasons that it could be beneficial for the club to move. However, I am pretty sure it's not the $45. What percentage is $45 in your racing budget for the year?

You've known my father and I for some time now. You know where I stand on loyalty and taking care of those that take care of us. Your note does cause some conflict for me. Message heard, Thanks Marc.

This thread and topic was started because I think 1/8 Scale Racing in the Northwest could be bigger (more members), stronger (more friendships), more competitive ( :) ), and just plain more fun for everyone that wants to be involved. I wanted to get some input from 'others' out there in our region. It was not started because I think we should leave APBA because we deserve better... I know you didn't think that, but you see what I'm trying to say? I never even thought about the accident when I started thinking about how we can make 1/8 Scale Racing in the North-West stronger.

Thank you APBA, Thank you APBA for all your support. I do genuinely mean that Marc. I can tell you that I will be a card carrying member for both APBA, and NAMBA this coming year, no mater what the R/C U board decides.

DJ

P.S. - Look out Marc, there is going to be another Carbon-Knife in town next year... just ask Gary!!

I enjoyed reading Marc's responce' $45 is a drop in the bucket, it's a gallon of fuel or a card of plugs. Anybody that makes a issue over $45 to belong to two orginizasions does not have a ligitimate gripe. Now the trick for me is too find a paint job that can register in both clubs. Maybe Spirit of Dayton Walther? Thanks Greg

Shoot- let’s go racin’!

Marc

Marc,

100% agree with your comments about the Brandts, their research efforts, and ability to present accurate information to the R/C U board & members.

It appears to me that you have brought up a very good point regarding timing... Unfortunately, R/C U did have an accident last year. This thread was not started because R/C U is unhappy with our insurance carrier. Quite to the contrary, you being point-man, and commenting above, has helped all of us understand better what it really means to be supported. Based on your comments, I can understand that you feel it would be a bad time to move... I have not talked with you enough to know if you see all the reasons that it could be beneficial for the club to move. However, I am pretty sure it's not the $45. What percentage is $45 in your racing budget for the year?

You've known my father and I for some time now. You know where I stand on loyalty and taking care of those that take care of us. Your note does cause some conflict for me. Message heard, Thanks Marc.

This thread and topic was started because I think 1/8 Scale Racing in the Northwest could be bigger (more members), stronger (more friendships), more competitive ( :) ), and just plain more fun for everyone that wants to be involved. I wanted to get some input from 'others' out there in our region. It was not started because I think we should leave APBA because we deserve better... I know you didn't think that, but you see what I'm trying to say? I never even thought about the accident when I started thinking about how we can make 1/8 Scale Racing in the North-West stronger.

Thank you APBA, Thank you APBA for all your support. I do genuinely mean that Marc. I can tell you that I will be a card carrying member for both APBA, and NAMBA this coming year, no mater what the R/C U board decides.

DJ

P.S. - Look out Marc, there is going to be another Carbon-Knife in town next year... just ask Gary!!

Shoot- let’s go racin’!

Marc

Marc,

DJ

Oh great, David. You made my day.

Last year, just when I thought I had a shot at him, here comes Gary with a new Hallmark Homes and I see its transom all season long. It is light. It is fast. It turns great. So I work hard to catch up again only to discover he is taking another leap frog jump right over my program with yet another new boat! Great news for me. Just terrific...

I guess that I have no choice but to cheat. Where did I put that jet pack...

Marc

Well, the facts are in. Preparation has been made and this is what I know.

1. Boat modelers are the best people around.

2. NAMBA and APBA folks are very courteous.

3. I miss racing already.

4. I would like to repeat in 2008.

5. I would like to win the NATS in 2009

For the rest of the details I look forward to seeing you in Ellensburg on Dec 8.

Happy Holidays to you all ! !

Bill

Well, the facts are in. Preparation has been made and this is what I know.
1. Boat modelers are the best people around.

2. NAMBA and APBA folks are very courteous.

3. I miss racing already.

4. I would like to repeat in 2008.

5. I would like to win the NATS in 2009

For the rest of the details I look forward to seeing you in Ellensburg on Dec 8.

Happy Holidays to you all ! !

Bill,

Took me a while to get up off the floor. Man, you make me laugh...!!!

1. Yes they are (and I knew they were)!!!

2. Yes

3. You are still 'high'!

4. I bet you would :eek:

5. See you in Marysville!!

I will be there on 12/8

Best to you and yours Bill!

DJ

Latest posts

Back