1/16 Scale Hydro - round nose

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dschigoda

I am new to FE.

I am considering building a 1/16 Scale Hydro (round nose). There doesn't appear to be an "official" class for this - so this will either be a "just for fun boat" or maybe I will start a local spec class. I may even run a counter-clockwise course, like the full size.

The hull would be about 22" by 11", using G. Findlay plans.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a resonably priced brushless motor, ESC and LI battery that would be appropriate for this size and weight of hull? Or maybe where I should start looking to research this? Is there a group that races 1/16 Scale hydros anywhere?

Thanks!

Check out my 1/16th scale build here all the info is there to answer your questions

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=6989

I am new to FE.

I am considering building a 1/16 Scale Hydro (round nose). There doesn't appear to be an "official" class for this - so this will either be a "just for fun boat" or maybe I will start a local spec class. I may even run a counter-clockwise course, like the full size.

The hull would be about 22" by 11", using G. Findlay plans.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a resonably priced brushless motor, ESC and LI battery that would be appropriate for this size and weight of hull? Or maybe where I should start looking to research this? Is there a group that races 1/16 Scale hydros anywhere?

Thanks!

Unfortunately Jim's thread does nothing to answer your questions. A boat that size traditionally would run an 05 brushed car motor on 6 or 7 NiMH cells, spinning an x430-x435 prop. It would qualify as an N2 hydro.

Built today with BL power, any small 540 or maybe a 380/400-sized BL motor with a Kv around 3300 on 2S LiPo or 6 NiMH cells should work. I am not familiar with the smaller motors, I'm sure others will chime in.

Sorry bout that too many threads the RR had the setup info.

Here it is

Motor

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLWY5

The motor is the Ammo 28-48-3600

Prop Octura X430R

Hacker 70 Navy Controller

Batteries PolyRC and Enerland 2500mah 2s lipo and also tried a polyrc 3300 2s

Videos of it running and complete build pictures here

http://jimclark.smugmug.com/Radio-Control/Jims-Build/4309697_eh7Sy#331435470_rTocK

Unfortunately Jim's thread does nothing to answer your questions. A boat that size traditionally would run an 05 brushed car motor on 6 or 7 NiMH cells, spinning an x430-x435 prop. It would qualify as an N2 hydro.

Built today with BL power, any small 540 or maybe a 380/400-sized BL motor with a Kv around 3300 on 2S LiPo or 6 NiMH cells should work. I am not familiar with the smaller motors, I'm sure others will chime in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! The videos look great!

From the photos - it looks like your hull parts were lazer cut? Was this a kit that you purchased? If so, where could I buy one?

Hope this doesn't sound like I'm trying to be a jerk. If you were to go a little larger (24", 25" would work) I think you could stuff the Spec motor and speed controls in it. Thet are very well priced and run super well.

If you didn't know what I mean by spec try these.

SV 27

UL-1

BJ motor

BJ speed control

24 or 25 inches isn't a 1/16th scale round nose which is what he was asking about. If you wanted to use the SV27 motor or the UL-7 you would be better off building a 27 or 28 inch boat to handel the power then you need 4S lipos for it to run well where a 1/16th scale boat can run really well on a 2s Battery pack

Jim

24 or 25 inches isn't a 1/16th scale round nose which is what he was asking about. If you wanted to use the SV27 motor or the UL-7 you would be better off building a 27 or 28 inch boat to handel the power then you need 4S lipos for it to run well where a 1/16th scale boat can run really well on a 2s Battery pack

Jim
Hmmmmm....

I notice the Hacker 70 ESC is a bit pricey, a quick check showed $179.99.

The larger "spec systems" apears to be quite a bit cheaper for the BL motor and ESC than what is needed for a 1/16 Scale?

What is the price difference between a 2 cell lipo battery for a 1/16 scale versus a 4 cell for a 28" hull? Would the mAH ratings of the packs be the same beween the 22" and 28" boats?

I'm just trying to learn.

Actually they don't even make them any more I paid 65.00 for them and only got them as I have another one in my son's boat and have the program box. There are lots of good fairly cheap esc's out now.

The larger "spec systems" apears to be quite a bit cheaper for the BL motor and ESC than what is needed for a 1/16 Scale?

What is the price difference between a 2 cell lipo battery for a 1/16 scale versus a 4 cell for a 28" hull? Would the mAH ratings of the packs be the same beween the 22" and 28" boats?

I can use a 2s 2500 or 3000mah and get two heats of racing on on pack without discharging too much and I paid I think35 to 40 for poly RC 2s 2500's. The 4s larger boat's run 4000 to 5000mah and if you are racing they can cost slightly over 110.00 for one pack but you can get cheaper Chiniese lipos from HobbyCity if you are just putting around.

around here the SV 27 System with 4s 5000mah lipos are pushing 1/10th scale (aprox 36 inches long and 5 to 6 pounds RTR) at speeds close to or slightly over 50mph.

Jim

For me learning about battery packs was the real challenge. When I quit R/C, when you battery was near out of juice your car would just slow down. With Lipos it seems when you are out of power the battery blows up. Make sure to get enough MAH to suit your needs. I still puff packs way to often but I am still learning. Hope you enjoy whichever size you choose!!

The little 60 amp SeaKings should be a great ESC for these and other small/micro boats. They have adjustable voltage cutoff so you can protect the cells.

The Neu 25/50c 2S 2500xpi packs are $27 each. Perfect for this size boat. This line of batteries has been performing flawlessly for me, I run the 4S 4100's in the p-spec riggers and the 6S 6500's in my big Q boat.

I've been thinking of building a 18-20" rigger just for fun at the local pond. Maybe running a Scorpion HK-2216-12 outrunner. The same motor would work well in the 1/16 scale boats as well.

Just my .02

I think I may just try one of the Scorpion HK 2216-12's

Sounds great Brian

Jim

The little 60 amp SeaKings should be a great ESC for these and other small/micro boats. They have adjustable voltage cutoff so you can protect the cells.

The Neu 25/50c 2S 2500xpi packs are $27 each. Perfect for this size boat. This line of batteries has been performing flawlessly for me, I run the 4S 4100's in the p-spec riggers and the 6S 6500's in my big Q boat.

I've been thinking of building a 18-20" rigger just for fun at the local pond. Maybe running a Scorpion HK-2216-12 outrunner. The same motor would work well in the 1/16 scale boats as well.

Just my .02

Would it make sense to water cool the Scorpion HK-2216-12 outrunner brushless motor?

Does anyone sell a water jacket that would fit this motor? Or would I need to make my own?

I ordered one of the Scorpion HK-2216-12's last night. I don't plan on water cooling. In Seattle there is a 1/10th scale club that is using a bigger scorpion outrunner and they love them and I don't think anyone is water cooling them. There is a motor mount that has water cooling built into the front plate. You can find them on Offshore Electrics site and I have seen them on ebay also.

Jim

Would it make sense to water cool the Scorpion HK-2216-12 outrunner brushless motor?

Does anyone sell a water jacket that would fit this motor? Or would I need to make my own?

Back