Is RCRacingEvents.Com down :(

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
has not worked for me all day..... yesterday was at the test pond and was trying to check and it wouldnt work .....between 10am-1pm cst yesterday.

I am starting to see a pattern.. It appears that every morning it is down but by mid-morning it comes back up. Bill is it possible your Internet connection is dropping at night from inactivity or something?

David

While I do appreciate the numerous offers via email recently that you have sent me to purchase or host rcracingevents, I must respectfully decline the offer. As you know, Perl by its nature is pure source on the host side, therefore I would be placing my source code on your hardware. Normally as a trusting person this would not be such an issue but with the email offers to purchase (either for yourself, or on behalf of NAMBA) you can see why I would be hesitant. Also since you have sent me these offers I have noticed that you have begun to create threads, or make posts of this nature.

While I am aware that right now the internet connectivity could be better, please understand that although it may go up or down, it is not going away. This service is free and unless something drastic occurs, it shall remain free, available, and neutral of any sanctioning body.

I do not force anyone to use this service. I merely provide it free of charge as a way to give back to this community for what it has given me. If you do not want to use it, or do not like it, then don't use it.

I have told many, If you don't like it, write your own website and see if you can do better. It's been eight years now and still no-one has stepped up. Perhaps they have realized just like I did that it was easier said than done. I was just too dumb to give up.

I really hate to put it this way but myself or the website seem to have drawn the attention by those who wish to place myself and/or the website in a negative spotlight. Since I am rarely online here, or speak to many in the rc boating community any longer, it cannot explain why.

Bill Britton

Bill, most appreciate the effort you've put into RC Racing events. I'll bet it's 99% of us get it. It's a gift to racing.

The trouble we're running into collectively is that guys can't sign up for races after venues have committed to using it. Then sometimes you get through the sign up phase and are ready to download the latest entries to produce the heats and............nope, not today your not. Then we're hosed with umpteen heats to shuffle manually.

I'm not suggesting I have any clue how to do it myself nor do I have a solution. Just explaining the frustration.

What ever happened to Rob Byrd's latest and greatest software for scheduling and scoring races. He was singing the praises of his Screaming Eagle system (isn't that a Harley thing?) but still a no show. He was pretty rude about how Bill's program was the worst and his was the best, and so on and so on. What's up Ron? Now's the time to put up or forever shut up.

Bill,

I appreciate your response although I am not sure why we could not have had this conversation directly as forums tend to distort conversations. I would just like to make sure it is clear to everyone what has transpired as I do not want any misunderstanding of what has transpired. My first offer to you was to help you with RCRacingEvents.Com by hosting it at my datacenter and possibly even helping to continue developing it. I offered this FREE OF CHARGE with no hidden agenda other than to help model boaters with a more stable and faster offering. This was initiated because the site had been down for quite a while and our District had a number of races including the NAMBA FE Nationals setup to run on it and we had to make some decisions about whether to continue to use it given that the site was not very reliable. I had told you that my datacenter offered a virtually non-stop redundant computing environment with gigabit Internet speeds. When I contacted you by phone about this and offered to host it for you, you appeared to be interested in the idea and asked me to call you back.

After several unsuccessful attempts to contact you we (NAMBA) had a discussion of what we should do about this and there were a number of options on the table. One of the suggestions was to offer to buy a copy from you rather than start over or look at another system since your system was already known and people like your system. I then offered to try and contact you again regarding this opportunity to possibly discuss NAMBA purchasing a copy for its own development. Again I received no response to multiple attempts to contact you. I notified Robert Holland (NAMBA President) and he offered to contact you about this in case you had some personal reason for not returning my calls. He also did not receive any return calls.

I am a little concerned about the way you voiced your opinion in that it might lead some people to believe that there was hidden agenda. I assure you that everything was above board. I genuinely offered to host your site at no charge to help RCRacingEvents and the model boating community. Like you, I have invested huge amounts of my time and money in developing online tools to help model boating. My contributions in time and money to racing events across the country are well known and I think if you ask anyone who knows me you will find the upmost integrity, honesty and genuine intentions and I generally shun any specific credit for these. A lot of people have a lot of good things to say about you so I am sure that you meant well but honestly I think you have a misunderstanding of what is going on here. Respectfully I appreciate your position and certainly appreciate your efforts. I had just hoped that together we could have taken it to the next level.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using Ron's Race Control Event Manager for our race, and absolutely love working with it. I use it at the race site and can have class results post very quickly.

Ron has been very helpful and always a phone call away if a problem arises. Thanks Ron!

Back