what prop for 6s mono

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Finch

Supporting Member
I have set up my original Wild Thing mono for electric operation. What size prop do I use for a 1527 .5 y motor in a 32 inch mono for oval record trials? I understand the .5 y is a competition wind for record trials and it won't run more than 2 minutes in my application but I have no idea what prop to start with.

John Finch

John, I am running an m445 in my green Rico mono (which you have seen run) with a Neu 1515 1y, 2-4S packs and a Castle 240LV ESC...fast boat and comes in just warm after heats....

What ESC are you planning on using? Also, are you planning on using 8mm bullet connectors?

I have a new Sholund prepped m445 that I am not using that I can send your way....would love to see you do well in the FE world....lmk...

-Kent

Last edited by a moderator:
John,

I am assuming your .5Y is 1675KV since it is a custom wind and not on the standard Neu charts. For reference I tried a 2 lap 1/4 mile run at Huntsville last fall. While I was loading my 1521 1.5D 1900kv Neu in my 33" Delta Force which is my "P" mono heat boat, Chris Krayczyk lowered it to the current 21.131. I used a 5S- 3S-2S in series since it was my first try and turned a high 22 second time. Just had a nice run on the bouys. Stepping up to 6S I made half a lap and the boat tummbled violently ending my mono day. That was with a Sholund M445. You have more power in the 1527 and being a Y it will accelerate faster in my experience. (not always good) That same 1521 motor set the Q OB Tunnel SAW record. In testing a 545 on 6S put us into the low 70's for SAW. My thoughts for a Q mono, Chillis M445 is right on for ovals. Next up an M545-M645 and for SAW you may want a little more pitch. ABC 1716,1814 and 1816. You might have enough power to swing a 1916 cut down a bit. All just my experience with mostly OB tunnels. I did pop a Castle 240LV on a 4S 1521 setup. On 6S it worked flawlessly.

Mic

My bad, OSE lists the .5y at 2500KV pretty tall for ovals.

I think you typo'ed on the 1521/1D Mic. If memory serves me thats a 2900kv motor. I ran that in the JAE I had the P-hydro record with for a while. Unfortunately it sunk with my Sport Hydro in SAW testing last fall. :(

445 is a good start John. Just do a couple laps, bring it in and check your temperatures. Then start moving up. That 1527 will probably turn a bigger prop than your hull could handle. If your hull prefers a smaller prop and higher rev's to get you where you need to be, I've got some motors that will get you there. Be carefull how many laps you run. You will probably suck a 1P set up dry after three laps. This wil ruin the packs and possibly fry the ESC.

I think you typo'ed on the 1521/1D Mic. If memory serves me thats a 2900kv motor. I ran that in the JAE I had the P-hydro record with for a while. Unfortunately it sunk with my Sport Hydro in SAW testing last fall. :(

445 is a good start John. Just do a couple laps, bring it in and check your temperatures. Then start moving up. That 1527 will probably turn a bigger prop than your hull could handle. If your hull prefers a smaller prop and higher rev's to get you where you need to be, I've got some motors that will get you there. Be carefull how many laps you run. You will probably suck a 1P set up dry after three laps. This wil ruin the packs and possibly fry the ESC.
Yep. 1.5 is my Q and 1D is my P

On a side note I just am cycling in some new Dinogy 65C packs and so far they are everything that my 45C Hyperions are. Have a good run at your ovals everyone. If it were me I would take you up on a little less HP and more RPM also. A 1527 has to be a real beast.

Mic

Everything I read about the Dinogy's has been good. I've got a boat load of Hyperions but one of these days I may give the D's a try.

Kent, I was going to have my son do P-Sport Hydo for sure and I was going to do Q-mono and/or maybe P-mono It looks like there is going to be a good turn out and I'm going to have competition in all those classes but I'm flexible so we'll see what happens. I also don't mind teaming up with people. What ever gets as many D12 guys into the books as possible.

Everything I read about the Dinogy's has been good. I've got a boat load of Hyperions but one of these days I may give the D's a try.

Kent, I was going to have my son do P-Sport Hydo for sure and I was going to do Q-mono and/or maybe P-mono It looks like there is going to be a good turn out and I'm going to have competition in all those classes but I'm flexible so we'll see what happens. I also don't mind teaming up with people. What ever gets as many D12 guys into the books as possible.
Sounds like a plan. I'm with you on the D.12 bookwritng...that is why I asked John to let me know about the m445...and if there's anything you and jr. need, lmk...all good!

-Kent

Hey John, From what I read on the Offshore Electrics site that sells Neu's, the 1527 .5Y motor is a 2500kv motor, not 1765kv. That's going to put your no load rpm in the 55k range on 6s. IMO thats SAW only rpm and I'm afraid you would fry your motor on the oval course. 4S would put you in the 37,000 range which would be more appropriate for 2 lap ovals. 5S gets you around 46k which is still a little too hot for my liking on 2 lap trials.

Hey John, From what I read on the Offshore Electrics site that sells Neu's, the 1527 .5Y motor is a 2500kv motor, not 1765kv. That's going to put your no load rpm in the 55k range. IMO thats SAW only rpm and I'm afraid you would fry your motor on the oval course. 4S would put you in the 37,000 range which would be more appropriate for 2 lap ovals. 5S gets you around 46k which is still a little too hot for my liking on 2 lap trials.
Neu's are rated to 60,000 rpm.

Yes, but they can build up heat very fast at that RPM. I've feel obligated to give you guys my opinion on this but there are allot of guys that have been doing this longer than me. So all I'm saying is please be careful. :)

Guys - please what the OP posted - he's running 6S, not 4S. I have run the 1527/0.5Y on 6S in my SAW boats and it is FAR TOO HOT for "won't run more than 2 minutes". It would probably survive a 2-lap event, but you will burn down if trying for a one mile heat on 6S. A 32" mono is pretty darn small for 6S anyway, that's a 4S size hull. That motor would make a killer 4S motor in the same hull - very fast but not a guaranteed burn down.

John, I am running an m445 in my green Rico mono (which you have seen run) with a Neu 1515 1y, 2-4S packs and a Castle 240LV ESC...fast boat and comes in just warm after heats....

What ESC are you planning on using? Also, are you planning on using 8mm bullet connectors?

I have a new Sholund prepped m445 that I am not using that I can send your way....would love to see you do well in the FE world....lmk...

-Kent
That would be great! send me a private PM with your address and I will send you a check for the prop.

Thanks,

John

Chilli,

We may be able to team up with my boat set up experience and your electric experience and do something cool. I am always open to team racing and records. Gives you someone to share the experience with. We shall see what the weekend brings. In any case I will be there to help you any way possible.

Team or single.

John

Guys - please what the OP posted - he's running 6S, not 4S. I have run the 1527/0.5Y on 6S in my SAW boats and it is FAR TOO HOT for "won't run more than 2 minutes". It would probably survive a 2-lap event, but you will burn down if trying for a one mile heat on 6S. A 32" mono is pretty darn small for 6S anyway, that's a 4S size hull. That motor would make a killer 4S motor in the same hull - very fast but not a guaranteed burn down.

So is my setup with the 2500 kv motor a sure burn out. I already fried my Castle 240 my second run with it in a saw rigger using the 1527 .5y motor. I got so frustrated with the esc that I took the 8mm connectors off and threw the unit in the trash.

-Kent
That would be great! send me a private PM with your address and I will send you a check for the prop.

Thanks,

John
PM sent....

I ran a .5 Y in a Insane 34 on 4S with a 646 , no heat problens heat racing. Uncontrollable fast on anything but smooth water . Try it on 4S . Probably go as fast as the hull will handle . I was running a CC 240 . Im sure it will pull more prop . Now i have a 1D in it .

Dick Roberts

Thanks for all the help MIC, Chilli, Kent, Jayt, Flyguy55 and Don. Plan is............... Kent is sending a prop and Chilli is sending a set of 4s batteries. Don has a line on a new SEC. After hearing your suggestions that seems to be the best setup. Thanks again guys!

Back