OPS 45 Marine - Opinions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Santistevan

I am looking to put an OPS 45 marine in one of Eagle Riggers. Does anyone have any experience with these motors (performance, reliability, etc.)? Also where can I find a reliable dealer for these engines?

D

Dave the OPS dealer is here http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=53911

I have founds the OPS 45 drum version to be a very reliable motor once you have run him in, i did have quite a few issues bedding the motor in, but after 1/2 litre of fuel went through it it has been a really good little motor. I haven't managed to get the same performance out of it as i have with MAC or CMB motors but that is probably due more to my lack of skills rather than the motor.

I personally don't think you will see the performance like a CMB or AA 45 from the OPS,.. but if your not racing competitively,.. big fun!

In my picture you will see my 59 nitrogen, I finished it with a 20 year old OPS 67, a dinasour compared to today's engines, down on overall HP and generally should not have been competitive, but it was and why against all logic was it?, you need to toy with and test many pipe lengths and props to find that sweet spot where you find the balance between the power its capable of and the prop choice that lets it rev out, if your persistant and work at it, it can be competitive, will it run away from your competitors, probably not but you can have a hoot finding a way to win a race or two. But if your leaning towards new, you might as well spend the dough and buy the latest and greatest but even with those the same process of testing and trial is necessary to find their sweet spot. Many others have said it and I think Andy Brown coined the phrase, it all boils down to the guy turning the screws that makes a boat competitive. I proved that to myself with that old tired OPS and it was a blast to do. I've since done a transplant and really upgraded the motor to a 15 year old Picco, the boat is even faster and the trials and testing continues......and its a blast doing it. If you find a sweet deal, have some fund and see what its capable of. Enjoy the process!!!!

Years ago, I had two guys ask me to help them get thier first riggers running. They were Eagle SG's with OPS .45's. The boats were reliable and ran 70 MPH. Motors were straight out of the box.

Eric

theres nothing wrong with the OPS 45, there a dated engine, but reliable waiting for OPS to get there heads out of there butts with there marine engine line up, they are starting to revamp there big boar engines, Bi-metal 90 a new 120, waiting for new 21/45/67 class engine to come out

My Uncle ran OPS for many years. Very inexpensive engines. Out of the box the don't compare to the MAC 45 we currently run. I know every time we went to a race he always had to check the front intake rotor to make sure it didn't move. He also said in order to make them fast you had to work on the sleeves.

My understanding is the MAC motors are no longer available. The Rossi motors are an option but I don't like having to do the 180 degree exhaust gig. One of my Eagles will be running an AA45 and I was looking for another motor for the other.

I ran ops 40 and 45's many years ago in my crapshooters

They were consistent if an rpm rod was installed

only ran 25% fuel heat racing, but finishing was more often than not winning

I also worked the sleeves a bit

Been running the same 2 OPS45's in our Sport 40 for the last 10 years. Beside changing the bearings out the only problem is that we broke 1 rod during the 08 nats. Now they have some head work and p/s work done to them and I use a K&B drum rotor assmy instead of the stock one. They have outlasted the boat they were in but the plan is to use them in the next sport 40 we get.

Buddy

Personally, I think the OPS 45 is a GREAT engine for the buck. Yes, piped and propped right they will keep up with the rest if driven smartly. The RPM rod or a pinned stock rod are the way to go. The disc is not a problem at all if the back side is polished,set to .001" clearance ang the pin and set screw are blue loctited in. Ran them 30 years ago and still running them. I have enough parts to build at least 10 more but I have no need to build them because the ones running are still going strong. I've started selling the new builds(to lighten my supply of parts) and there is no bigger bang for the buck than the OPS line(very cheaply priced). IMHO Tom Galdys

I heard from quite a few folks about the Nova Rossi DD-46 so I think I going to go that way. Thanks everyone for their opinions. As usual very helpful.

D

Thanks Andy, you can skip the drill on the motor mounts for the OPS unless you have already done them. Otherwise the order is for 1 set drilled for AA and One for Nova Rossi and one undrilled.

Thank you!

Dave

Personally, I think the OPS 45 is a GREAT engine for the buck. Yes, piped and propped right they will keep up with the rest if driven smartly. The RPM rod or a pinned stock rod are the way to go. The disc is not a problem at all if the back side is polished,set to .001" clearance ang the pin and set screw are blue loctited in. Ran them 30 years ago and still running them. I have enough parts to build at least 10 more but I have no need to build them because the ones running are still going strong. I've started selling the new builds(to lighten my supply of parts) and there is no bigger bang for the buck than the OPS line(very cheaply priced). IMHO Tom Galdys
Where did all those parts come from Tom? LOL!

Glad you are still getting good use form them. :)

What type of boat are you running the Engines in...Rigger,Mono,Sport ,Scale,etc. I have run them in the past..and they were a good engine to run.

Yes Randy, That was a great buy for me,thanks. If people only knew the inventory I bought from you AND how much I have. OPS is still a great engine. Tom

Back