JAE 21 Outboard Conversion

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Santistevan

I have a JAE 21 Hydro that I am considering putting an outboard engine on. Has anyone done this and/or what would be the things I need to watch out for?

We will have a kit available soon for the JAE 21 Outboard Outrigger.

This hull won 1st and 2nd at this years Tunnel Champs.

We had to make a substantial number of changes to get it working well and we are refining it to work well with the K&B .21 that everyone seems to have in a box somewhere.

Joe

Joe, have you tried it with the OS lower unit? It is going to be a different setup since the setback is different.

It will work with all available lowers. We are trying to eliminate any mods to the skeg and I am testing more this weekend.

Joe

I will see what I can do, but you must keep this quiet, We don't want anyone to know about this boat until it is ready to ship... :p

Joe

Here is one of the prototypes.

The rear sponsons are different on the newer version but this is what Ron and Dick ran at the Champs.

Joe

21OB (Medium).jpg

Please form a single file line to the right...

We will work hard on the instruction manual for this and release it as soon as we are done.

We will be shipping the first kits to Mike Walker so that he can get a head start before we release them.

Joe

I am very impressed with the JAE 21 OB Rigger. In it's early stages, it showed a lot of promise immediately. Dick and I have tried many different props and as Joe mentioned earlier, our experimental boats ended up first and second at the 2012 WTC race a few weeks ago. How's that for instant success? Joe, please let us know if you come across any changes that you feel will help and we will do the same. We are still running stock but "trimmed" skegs and right now, I see no need to try the cavitation plate mounted "California" style side mounted skegs with the versions we have, but I am interested in trying with the extended ski/bullet setup closer to the inboard style which will require the offset skeg. I am hoping this new kit from Joe will help peak interest in OB Hydros again, and from some of the posts I see above, it may already be happening. Thanks Joe........ ;)

:D Thanks Mr. Shaw!

We will be running more tomorrow, and hope to iron out some little things.

Joe

Guys, Joe was here testing all weekend and the Zippkit .21 O/B rigger is running great! We ran both a K&B and a O.S. and both engines ran very well. The boat corners very well and feels allot like my .21 Zippkit rigger. We did most of the prop testing with the O.S. engine and we are turning bigger props than I can pull with my .21 Vision Craft tunnel. It pulled a X447 with a bone stock O.S. This is telling me that the Zippkit rigger hull is running more free from the water than a tunnel. The speeds are probably a few MPH faster than my Vision Craft tunnel, more stable too, and less sensitive to setup. Tunnels can always be tricky with setup as far as engine angle and height. The Zippkit rigger doesn't much care. The rear sponsons only touch the water when going real slow or dead in the water and the boat sits higher when dead in the water than my inboard Zippkit rigger. The boat launches easy and you can slow down and speed up at will. It's going to be a great boat for beginners too.

Thanks for the kind words, but you still have to pay for your kit Craig...

DSC02423.JPG

The boat does indeed run good. Pure 100% fun!

Joe

I think that would be even more fun! This hull has nothing but interior space...

Joe

Back