Should we do another set-up tips article?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimD

Judging by the popularity of the outboard set-up tips we did a while ago :D - I think it's probably worth doing one for a different subject. Anyone have any ideas on something we can all put our 2 cents worth into and make available as a document? Maybe setting up a new rigger or mono from scratch, or playing with prop selection or something else entirely.

Open for suggestions B) B) B)

sounds good to me.... however i think specific hull articles would be more valueable.

PS.... i got 1 more post than Tim!! :p

TomMoorehouse said:
however i think specific hull articles would be more valueable.
Is that your way to limit it to Firefighter's Tom? hehehe

The problem I can see with being hull specific is that you reduce the amount of input you would get from different board members.

Cheers,

Tim.

Hi Guys!!

Two things come to mind right away.......

Tuning your tuned pipe...., and Prop selection and customizing.

I tried to start a thread about tuned pipes a while ago but it only got 3 or 4 responces.

Also, I have a good idea of what prop is a good prop to start to use with my hull/motor combinations, but I don't know where to go from there. I have asked several people about his and opinions vary greatly. Trim it, cut it, cup it, crop it, flare it, go big, go high pitch..................I don't have a clue.

Bob,

Both of those things are relevant to each other and well worth combining IMHO. I think that would make an excellent article that a lot of people would find really usefull. B)

What does everyone else think? I'm sure we'll get some conflicting arguments with this as a topic!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

"Tuning your tuned pipe...., and Prop selection and customizing."

I second that! It would be great to see some picts of everyones props too!

Dale P.

that's not what i meant Tim :rolleyes:

i also see your point.....

maybe andy brown can start a basic rigger setup article :)

I like the 'tuning your tuned pipe' idea.

BUT...instead of everyone just listing what pipe, header etc. they use, put down HOW you figured out what combo to use.

I know, I know....TEST, ADJUST, TEST, ADJUST ETC.........that's not what I meant.

Test what? Adjust how? Info that a cheapskate like me can use to get the best results out of what you have without spending big bucks on umpteen different set-ups.

Tuned pipe setup and prop selection/customizing would be great. I have a .67 cat and some hull specific stuff would be great also.

I like the ideas. Try not to make it too technical like that other site. John Finch just did a nice article in the latest issue of RCBM but there is still a lot that I feel wasn't covered. Basic propwork for those that have the fear of wrecking one. The basics of setting up various boats hull types.

Ron Olson said:
I John Finch just did a nice article in the latest issue of RCBM but there is still a lot that I feel wasn't covered.
Any chance someone can scan that article for me - RCBM takes forever to get here. Just so I know what Ron is referring to of course :p :p :p

Tim.

Speaking of John Finch, he has a talent for explaining things in an easily understandable way....he's got the gift of gab.

For the new boaters out there, there is a good ole book called "Advanced R/C Boat Modeling" by John Finch that I purchased almost 12 years ago. I still find it usefull as a reference for engines, hull construction, or setup guidelines. If you are looking to get involved in fast nitro boats and maybe have just a little R/C experience, I would take a close look at purchasing it. There is also the earlier book called "Basics of Radio Control Boat Modeling", which may be good for beginners too, but I've have not read it. Unless you can get local help, frustration may ruin your fun. And boy they are fun...hehe B) ...

Check for it on eBay, or you can take a closer look at them on Amazon here- "Basics book" and "Advanced book"

Last edited by a moderator:
Clay, I've got both books and you're right, the Advanced is the better of the two. I still find myself grabbing it once in a while to look up something. John's (OK, and Jerry's) articles are the main reasons to buy RCBM. We know that they know what they're talking about. The others I wonder sometimes! :)

How about a topic on setting up boats to go over the 100MPH bracket??

I Think you would need more than one sponson for that!! Is there a gas rigger ouver the 100 mark yet??

I still cant get over your rigger at the Nats Tim, that is untill i saw Ians mono running his big props!!!!! i thought only riggers could accelerate that fast!

I can honestly say I've never run 100mph with any boat!

(come to think of it - I've never run SAW :p :p )

Do you mean Ian's DNF props? :lol: :lol: :lol: Yeah - that thing sure accelerates hard for a mono.

Dave,

When I want some fun I put a prop-shop 7016/3 on the A100 mono. Pushes a 46", 13 lb heat racing mono to about 65mph but it isn't pretty!! Generally doesnt last long before it comes un-done in a big way! So I call the prop a 7016 DNF! :D A few of the gas guys ran them here on the monos until they figured out they had the same problems!!

Boy is if fun tho! B)

Nitrocrazed racing: Even more fun on 50% nitro...

I'd really like the: [SIZE=14pt]"Tuning your tuned pipe...., and Prop selection and customizing."[/SIZE]

I'm trying to use more than one pipe and learn how to experiment proparly with all types of pipes so the more info I can get before I start would be great.

I remember the article, I think John Finch wrote it for RC Boat Modeler that was about the drag boats that had a sliding pipe. That would be cool to try, but to understand why and how to would be even better.

Latest posts

Back