.12 Hardware Design Concepts

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric Perez

Well, it appears that we continue to have problems finding what to stick on the back of our transom for our .12 boat projects.

Here are some sketches I've been working on. The basis for the project is to incorporate the hardware into the design of the boat. Why not use some of the boats strength to help the hardware and visa-versa...

After working on the FF12 G10 fiberglass turn fin (which is actually built-into the sponson). I wondered what the next logical step would be on the buisness end of the boat.

I know we are looking for a kick-back rudder mount that does not weigh 1lb. I'm still looking...

Lets see if we can put 2 and 2 together and hit a homerun!

Edit:

Quick question what's the best way of cutting 3/32 carbon graphite plate?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats interesting Eric, Well thought out, I was thinking bout the Octura rudder with some of the back side shaved off and a threded standoff mount to the top strut adjusting bolt, But yours would sure be lighter,

Gene :D

On the cutting, Would a Dremel with a cutoff wheel work?

Cool stuff Eric,

I think the only way to cut G-10 or CF plate is with a dremel cutoff disk. The problem is with all the dust it creates. I pretty much protect myself from head to toe and rig the shop vac to help suck up the dust. To get good cuts it helps alot to use a fleaxble shaft on your dremel.

Mike

Carbon fiber conducts electricity...do whatever it takes to keep the dust out of your Dremel. Wanna guess how I know? <_<

I may be schizophrenic, but at least I have each other

Which one of you did that CF conductivity test :D

I did.

NO, I DID!!!

I guess we both did.

i didn't

Propjockey Racing.....it's medication time!

If you need some nice Black 1/8" G-10 I will send you some.(a small but sincere piece)

Mike

I've been looking for some more G10. I found a source but it comes with a bunch of lazer cut wood in the box and it cost like $70 I think the box had some picture with Fire Fighter 12 on it :D

While working on the FF12 I noticed how strong and slop free the carbon tubes where in the kit.

If a kick-up rudder is not that important to you, take a look at this rudder mount concept. The larger diameter tube is epoxied inside the hull with 3/8 sticking out the back. A smaller diameter carbon-epoxy tube is inserted inside the larger tube. The small tube is held in place with a 4-40 screw.

If you drill the end of the tube and install a brass sleeve for an Octura lead-teflon 3/16 bearing then you could have a very strong rudder mount that you could make for a couple of bucks.

Install your favorite 3/16 shaft rudder... If you hit anything solid... have you ever seen a grown man cry?

I guess you could design it to break-away in case of a major accident -Just a thought.

Mike, Thanks for the G10 offer. I will send you a PM.

Eric here is kinda what I was talkin about,

This drawing is a Quick'y

Hmmmmmm........well a head on hit to the leading edge of the rudder it would go back, A glancing hit from the side might do what ya mentioned,

The funny thing is that Octura already has those pieces. My Octura rudders are held in place with only one screw that allows to to swivel if need be. They also have a standoff so that the rudder can be mounted to the strut. boy, I've got to get my pix developed!

Yeah that was why I liked the Octura package, but as it turns out the strut mount was way to big for my transom, so had to keep looking for other ideas along the same line,

I had some pics too of that setup, I'll have to look and see if I still have them.

So did any one ever hear how the 12 riger hardware that i made for a guy in canada worked? it's been since last year and don't know who it was :(

Jimmy

Ken Joye, who hangs out in the electric Forum, can custom make about anything that you need. I thought that things were tight on the HH .12 until I put the Wild Thing .12 together. I had to make a few parts and modify some others to do it the way that I wanted it which was close to Mike's setup.

Back