35" FE Kneeler Hydroplane build

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Luszcz

Vendor
This is an extension of the nitro 35" kneeler build I had in the outboard forum. This is going to be my personal Kneeler, and it will be FE. I have deviated a little, well, a lot from my normal kneeler builds. This hull has the FE center former, basically has the radio box the full length of the cowling, with a built in servo tray shelf for steering. It has carbon cross rods, the sponsons are being built similar to the whiplash 20 I am building right now with the step at the back, they are also wider, and taller than the standard design, and I am doing a little more aesthetics with the side trim. Instead of it being standard plywood, it will be the cross section of the ply exposing the laminate layers, which looks really cool under epoxy! I will point out that feature as more pics come at a later date. It is just not that noticeable yet. I am getting close with finishing the sponsons, so here are some pics! Mike

IMGP0409Medium.jpg

IMGP0410Medium.jpg

IMGP0413Medium.jpg

IMGP0412Medium.jpg

IMGP0406Medium.jpg

IMGP0407Medium.jpg

More pics of my boat-sponson mods (wider, run pad mod, new style turn fin), carbon rod bracing, and built in FE radio box:

IMGP0447.jpg

IMGP0448.jpg

IMGP0449.jpg

IMGP0450.jpg

IMGP0451.jpg

IMGP0452.jpg

MAS epoxy, put on thin with a foam brush, then squeegeed with a plastic body filler spreader, then when it drys, I take a razor blade on its face and scrap it thin as I can. Then the final coat, when I want a thick gloss, I take the foam brush, but on a medium coat, and with my heat gun, I heat the epoxy while its still wet, and leave to dry. Heating the epoxy with the heat gun keeps any blushing from occurring so the dried surface stays crystal clear! The way it looks right now is perfectly normal. Its from me breaking threw the epoxy back to wood. Here is a whip 20 I just built for a fellow member. The epoxy stayed nice and clear on the finish coat! Mike

BTW, Hope you are doing well Kris. My flex shafts have been doing great. You do excellent work!

IMGP0470.jpg

IMGP0471.jpg

IMGP0472.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
MAS epoxy, put on thin with a foam brush, then squeegeed with a plastic body filler spreader, then when it drys, I take a razor blade on its face and scrap it thin as I can. Then the final coat, when I want a thick gloss, I take the foam brush, but on a medium coat, and with my heat gun, I heat the epoxy while its still wet, and leave to dry. Heating the epoxy with the heat gun keeps any blushing from occurring so the dried surface stays crystal clear! The way it looks right now is perfectly normal. Its from me breaking threw the epoxy back to wood. Here is a whip 20 I just built for a fellow member. The epoxy stayed nice and clear on the finish coat! Mike

BTW, Hope you are doing well Kris. My flex shafts have been doing great. You do excellent work!

IMGP0470.jpg

IMGP0471.jpg

IMGP0472.jpg

mike is that the new blazer whip cowl? that thing is cool looking and nice build, good work buddy.

tk

Terry, that is acutally the vacu pickle cowling that vacu boats sells. Its a low price alternative to the blazer 20 size cowling.

Back