Rey Garcia wins 45 Hydro Championship (district 19)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shark

In an 8 race season, and only participating in 7 races, I locked up the 45 hydro championship for my district. I end up with a 2625 point lead with one race remaining. This is the second championship for my scratch built Tiburon XB. The 2006 CMB Cam 45H won five races out of seven and place second twice. The boat only DNF'd three times all year.

I linked the video of each heat for Sundays Race in San Diego. Participating in 45 hydro were:

1) Rey Garcia

2) Brandon Kemple

3) Lenny Blake

4) Mike Moores

Congrats to Brandon Kemple who won for the day with 1325 vs my 1225.

These are the links to the videos starting with heat 1 thru heat 4. You can enlarge the screen by clicking on the small box with directional arrows in it.

http://www.videoegg.com/video/iUtWe

http://www.videoegg.com/video/iUtRI

http://www.videoegg.com/video/iUbWI

http://www.videoegg.com/video/iUbWe

Congrats Rey!

Conversely, on a sad note - the list you just typed is just another example of the decrease in numbers that every district appears to be seeing. I remember the good old days when you had Ross Klippert, Jeff Keaton, D&M, Kevin Beehan, Ron Russel, Dave Hilton, Will Gallagher, Erik McNair, Rey Garcia, Lenny Blake, Justin Hill and others competing in the 40 hydro class and others at each and every race out in District 19.

Jay,

Indeed, its a sad thing to experience.. In fact, I recall the good ole days when you and I mixed it up a few times in Tucson...I love that track!!

However, Brandon is a newcomer to the hobby and a serious competitor. His eagle sgx is really fast and his driving is up to par. He will be a future champ of the class for sure.

Lenny Blake always provides the level of competition of a true veteran. It would be a dream to see Will G., Dave H., and the others in a 10 racer matchup!!

We will see what the future of 19 has in store for the competition.

There are a few boaters with projects on the table for next year, hopefully they can fill at least 8 slots for 2007.

thanks for the thought!!

Did u like the video??

My wife tapes them all...

Rey,

The videos were great. I have seen Brandon race I believe.. He has good running stuff. I just was really referring back to when there were a minimum of 2 heats, usually at least 3 or 4 for every class including 40 hydro.

That is awesome that you were able to win the coveted District Championship. I didn't mean to take anything away from that, just saddened to see the decline in numbers. It's happening everywhere. Very unfortunate..

Jay

Wow that boat sure looks alot like mine..... Hmmmmm. Just be glad I was doing softball with my daughter at 5 of those races, or it could have been a different story. But just think, next year looks like it could be another softball year for me, but would be the last year, then she would be off to college, so then look out.

But congrats on another year there Rey.

Last edited by a moderator:
T,

Does that mean I have to build another one for you for 2008??

Yes, your sister hull (Tiburon XB) is a complete running duplicate of mine. Things would have been interesting if you could have made the whole season. Interesting at least until I WHUPPED ya!!!

LOL LOL LOL LOL

Long time boater, first time poster. Cool message board.

Well, at least we know Rey keeps his Ego in check and is the most humble of the humble. Sure would be nice to see some of the old District 19 regulars back in action with their hydros. The list is right and is missing a few people. How about Doug DeWitte, Mark Grim, Don Maher, and Ron Kirk. By the looks of the videos those guys would open a can of whoop a!* on the boats running today. Is it just me or are some of the .45 Mod Tunnel boats running just as fast in a straight line as the boats in those videos? I've had a chance to see some of those District 19 tunnel boats in action and I'll tell you what, there are some darn fast boats in there and a few guys who just seem to dominate.

Hey Rey, I saw that there are going to be some record trials at Legg Lake in November. You going to take that championship winning boat to the two lap and go for a record?

Nah, my boats are circle trim boats and not for straightline performance.

For me, straightline hasnt been something of any interest. I construct to turn fast, change lanes and stay on the water. My boats cannot compete with toothpicks with big motors in two laps, conversely, toothpicks with big motors cant compete with mine in 6 laps.

Going too fast ends up creating DNF's and not wins.

Seen it many times as you sure know full well. A prominent boater from so cal. asked me this: " why dont you lean that thing down, you got way more speed in the engine" my answer was simple. "I will adjust when the competition calls for it".

As for the competition, hopefully someday the participation will increase and the races filled with fast drivers with fast boats.

Nonetheless, why not build one yourself and try your luck?

p.s. you did ask this question:"Is it just me or are some of the .45 Mod Tunnel boats running just as fast in a straight line as the boats in those videos?"

answer: its just you.

Hi Ray; Well I don`t have any toothpicks with big motors, just and old Andy Brown 40 boat with a old Picco 45 that turns pretty good and stays on the water. Why don`t you come on out in nov. and give the the two lap a try. Like Mikey said, Try it you might like it. Jack&Steve ODonnell

Jack,

Greetings, like I said, my circle boats are no match for the straight or two laps guys...I conceed to their speed and performance.

Nothing runs like an O'Donnell!

Peace.

Rey G.

Ray ; Hope you didn`t take my comments the wrong way. You are a top runner in the B Hydro class and it would be grate to have you try the two lap. Believe me it is fun and challenging. Jack.

Rey

I to think you would have a blast running two lap -- it,s you against the clock

I like the challenge of trying to run the shortest way around (on the bouyes)

Come on amigo try it

Henry

It looks like Will G. is now in our neck of the woods. Next year might be good in D-7. ;)

-Buck-

Oh boy this will be interesting. What weekend is it?? Oh wait reread the post. So November huh.... Might have to have the purple boat out there too, just to see what she does.

Ok,
Rey Garcia

Namba #20

Chn 83

B-Hydro

Hi Tony, Rey & Everyone,

" The West Coast Time Trials Week" will be November 11 to 19

Nov. 11 to 13 "ELECTRIC SAW ONLY"

Nov. 14 to 16 "ALL SAW" (electric, nitro & gas )

Nov. 17 to 19 " 2-LAP FOR ALL" (electric, nitro & gas )

Come out to Legg Lake and try it. YOU WILL LIKE IT. But be careful, you could get the bug to GO FAST & TURN RIGHT, or GO FASTER & TURN SLOW!!! BOTH are a blast and can be very enlighting about how FAST & QUICK your boats are. You get to see what every change does to your time & speed, no b/s or guessing. The clocks don't lie!!! Come on out, run, have fun, run some more & see some of the fastest model boats in the world. I have been told that "150 MPH" pass is very, VERY POSSIBLE.

The thought of that makes me "all warm inside"!!!!!!! :p It is going to be one fantastic week of fun so come one come all!

Don :)

P/S For more info check " races & results " West Coast Time Trials

Back