.12 Rigger Custom Strut and Rudder

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WallyRC

Supporting Member
Found a fella on the Jim's R/C Boat Dock that will custom build us some any size we want. Need suggestions for lenght, width, thickness of rudder, same for strut and shaft size. He'll make them out of 6061 aluminium or 7075 if you can afford it.

will he be able to make it a kick up type rudder like the speedmaster?

if so id say a rudder width of .75" and a thickness of about .100 at the smallest part wedge rudder type. 3.5" long

what type of pricing is he talking about?

what about built in water pickup?

Steven Vaccaro

www.OffshoreElectrics.com

http://www.OffshoreElectrics.com

offshoreelectrics_anim.gif

This might be a dumb question, but is there a reason why the back of the rudders are square? To me this would just create drag. I would think that a rudder that has a sharp LE & tapered toward the back & then a rounded trailing edge would create a lot less drag because the water would come together faster & smother. :- Or am I way off base on this? ???

Somewhere there is an article that addresses this, wedge shape vs. airfoil shape...I can't find it, though. It was a 'tech' article on a r/c boat page.

Anybody know where it is?

Thanks, I think I get it now. The square back of the rudder keep the back of the rudder ventilated so it doesn’t cause cavitation. ;D

will he be able to make it a kick up type rudder like the speedmaster?

if so id say a rudder width of .75" and a thickness of about .100 at the smallest part wedge rudder type. 3.5" long

what type of pricing is he talking about?
i would expect so ! as this person is me I been making rc boat hardware for over 10 years now and been selling to dealers all over the world. ! some of you my have my hard ware and probly don't even know it! as it been made for hull mfg. only till now. as I feel it's time to go public with what I like to do. so so keep a eye on the tipic starter as he will have a rudder soon . Sincerly : Jimmy whitbeck Owner of J&D machine and products.

All right Jimmy, i'm excited..... ive been looking high and low for .12 hardware that is sized right and has a kickup rudder.

i'm really looking forward to what you have come up with!

welcome to the forum!

i would expect so ! as this person is me I been making rc boat hardware for over 10 years now and been selling to dealers all over the world. ! some of you my have my hard ware and probly don't even know it! as it been made for hull mfg. only till now. as I feel it's time to go public with what I like to do. so so keep a eye on the tipic starter as he will have a rudder soon .

Sincerly : Jimmy whitbeck Owner of J&D machine and products.

All right Jimmy, i'm excited..... ive been looking high and low for .12 hardware that is sized right and has a kickup rudder.

i'm really looking forward to what you have come up with!

welcome to the forum!

i would expect so ! as this person is me I been making rc boat hardware for over 10 years now and been selling to dealers all over the world. ! some of you my have my hard ware and probly don't even know it! as it been made for hull mfg. only till now. as I feel it's time to go public with what I like to do. so so keep a eye on the tipic starter as he will have a rudder soon .

Sincerly : Jimmy whitbeck Owner of J&D machine and products.
hear is a link to a start of the blade http://www.thencph.ws/pics/JimmyWhitbeck12_blade2.jpg

so how much roooom on the transom do we have for mounting the Rudder bracket? 1" or more??

Please every one let me know and is 47.5 grams too heavy?? for the hole rudder?

Thank you Jimmy ???

i dont know about the weight as i dont have a scale to make a comparison :-

i would say the rudder and strut would be nice to work on a tub that is 3" wide and .75 high

I think 1" wide max. Not sure on the weight, need to check the speed master .21 mini rudder and see where your at. 1.5 oz sounds light enough.

I would like to be able to mount the rudder to a piece of angle or a straight piece on the side of the hull.

Do you have a picture of it?

-MikeP

Back