Mac Info

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waltr

:D I want to thank all of the people who have recently posted Mac Outboard help. Andy,Joe Knesek and Rod Geraghty especially. And all who posted. We had a couple of Mac Outboards that we were pretty unhappy with.They couldn't keep up with K&Bs.Really! After reading and weighing all of the posts,I took the Macs and gave them .004 head clearance.Yes,I chucked the button in my lathe and faced it so I could still use a .003 shim to seal the head.I put in #59 glo plugs,splayed the spray bar and threw away the water cooling hardware on the Lawless.We were running in Michigan with the water unrestricted. Also used 60% instead of 45% to get the heat built up.Installed a Salsbury carbon pipes on 2 Leecrafts and I also cut down 440 props for them. We splashed them yesterday.WoW! What little animals now.Holy Sh#t,I'm not sure the little Leecrafts can handle the power now.Time for bigger boats. I'M NOW IMPRESSED! So is my buddy Randy who the 2nd motor was for.He was just about speachless. But,boy can they consume fuel ! But that's a good thing when they make that much power.Once again,THANK YOU! :D :D :D

:D I want to thank all of the people who have recently posted Mac Outboard help. Andy,Joe Knesek and Rod Geraghty especially. And all who posted. We had a couple of Mac Outboards that we were pretty unhappy with.They couldn't keep up with K&Bs.Really! After reading and weighing all of the posts,I took the Macs and gave them .004 head clearance.Yes,I chucked the button in my lathe and faced it so I could still use a .003 shim to seal the head.I put in #59 glo plugs,splayed the spray bar and threw away the water cooling hardware on the Lawless.We were running in Michigan with the water unrestricted. Also used 60% instead of 45% to get the heat built up.Installed a Salsbury carbon pipes on 2 Leecrafts and I also cut down 440 props for them. We splashed them yesterday.WoW! What little animals now.Holy Sh#t,I'm not sure the little Leecrafts can handle the power now.Time for bigger boats. I'M NOW IMPRESSED! So is my buddy Randy who the 2nd motor was for.He was just about speachless. But,boy can they consume fuel ! But that's a good thing when they make that much power.Once again,THANK YOU! :D :D :D
Walt, I'm glad happy with the motor. Be careful, when they are on, it can cause severe butt spasms. Last weekend I overheard a fellow racer say "that thing don't sound right" while it was on the bank. When E.J. ripped it down the front straight, I overheard him say "Holly Sh1t!"

You're not joking about fuel. I built our Lynx with an 8 oz tank and the boat would run out of fuel 10 feet from the finish even when I started it with 45 seconds left. Explain that to your 13 year old son when he's leading the race and it runs out of fuel 3 heats in a row. Oh the look he gave me was haunting. I called Mike Z from the pond and ordered a 10 oz tank making sure E.J. heard every word. He didn't talk to me the whole drive home. I'm just lucky it wasn't my 11 year old daughter. I'd just be getting the cast off my leg about now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joe, Great story.Had to laugh. I called Josh today and ordered a Lynx also. Figured that's one heck of a nice package too. Winter project will be to finish my Nemisis. And I'm sure going to make sure I start out with a 10 oz. tank.Nice motor, worth the effort, for sure! :)

Great to hear you guys got those MAC tuned up.

And remember.... they are still on sale at www.cmdracing.com for $249. Get yours while supplies last. :)

Andy, I have 3 of them so far.And picked up 2 more for a buddy.There a good buy! You also did a Full potential motor for me a few weeks ago.I haven't run it yet.I will soon.I did need the frustrating learning curve time 1st. Bigest thing was to get the motor hot. Until I learned that,you're motor wouldn't have run either.Now I'm really looking forward to getting that thing broke in.When you get them things tuned up,they haul the mail and sing doin it.Phew! Really pleased with em so far. Are you going to have an outboard version of the new 21 when they come out? Or eventually? Thanks again,Walt :)

Hi Walt

Reading your post you removed the cooling from the MAC 21? I have not run my MAC yet and it will have a SPP pipe as well. I was going to order an air cooled buggy head from Andy to use. Also what pipe length have you set up the SPP pipe at. from the center of the plug to the start of the widest point.

Im glad to hear you have them going well

Regards

Dave

Hey Dave, Where I live, the water temp as about 55* F. We didn't put an aircooled head on ours.Left em as is. (the water jacket,that is)If I'm not mistaken,I think it might have been Jerry, who mentioned. the lower leg is one huge heatsink.That seems to be good enough for us.And Andy mentioned someone having success in Florida with no water. There water temp is 20-25* warmer. We ran 4 tanks out sunday with no problems.On a little 27" Leecraft,they're little rockets.Can't wait for my Lynx. Now listen up,I'm just telling you what we're doing.I'm not going to warantee anyones motors if they nuke them,so make you're own decisions out there.I'm really not sure how many agree with what I'm doin.But.It does work for us. As far as pipe length, Really didn't have enough time to nail it down yet.Last Sunday we splashed the re-done Macs for the 1st time.So we only have 1 afternoon on them and we ran other boats too.Also have 4 different carbon pipes to figure out.Still new performance.Alot of things yet to be learned. (But the way Randys boat ran,I think he's close with his pipe setup.Phew!)I ran a different pipe than he did and neither one of us played with length yet.I still have to measure what he had. Just don't have enough time! Hopefully back at it Sunday. Good luck

Back