OT Plane on a conveyer belt

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

topfuel443

Vendor
A plane is standing on a movable runway( something like a conveyor).as the plane moves the conveyor moves but in the opposite direction.the conveyor has a system that tracks the speed of the plane and matches it exactly in the opposite direction.

The question is, will the plane take off or not?

This question may have been seen by many of you, but it has caused debate beyond belief. lets hear it...

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats what I said at first... Then I read page on top of page why it would (and would not), then I stopped thinking about it because my head hurt.

~James

the wing has to MOVE THROUGH the air to create lift. with NO AIRFLOW over the wing, it will just sit still-at 100 mph CONVEYER SPEED , not the all important AIR SPEED. it will not take off, imho.

NO. No lift is being generated since the plane is standing still.
Bill

Lets just say the speed is 100 mph, in opposing directions-it is then standing still,but its still going 100mph-is it not still creating lift?
Let's assume the aircraft's wheels are moving at 100mph because the engines are supplying the the thrust to keep up with the conveyor. How would 100mph of air be passing over the wings if the aircraft is virtually stationary? Good brain twister.

Bill

It's going to crash and fall off the conveyer. :p

There will be so much debate on this that someone is going to obtain a fat government grant to study this full size. Taxpayer monies will be spent on the plane, all the people's salaries to study it, argue on how to build it, then finally actually begin construction. While building the conveyer there will be millions of dollars in cost over-runs that will also be paid for by tax dollars. Finally the big day will come but things will not go as hoped. The plane wheels will be spinning at whatever takeoff speed is but any lift forces that normally would be generated will be negated by the equal forces of the conveyer moving the plane in the opposite direction. The tires will overheat & blow out, the plane will crash off the conveyer & there will be NTSA & FAA investigations & congressional hearings all funded by taxpayer dollars. This study & it's unfortunate outcome will create a shortage in tax revenue which will result your taxes going up & the next time you look at your paycheck stub you'll be pissed at whoever came up with this silly idea in the first place. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Think of it as this: You hold a hand truck on a treadmill. Turn the treadmill on to a set speed. The hand truck's wheels are going to spin at that exact same speed. Now, push the hand truck. It will move forward no matter how fast the treadmill is going. This is because the wheels have bearings in them and the fact that you pushing on it is a force outside the force of the treadmill.

The same applies to the jet engines on a plane with wheel bearings. It will move because the wheels are going to turn whatever speed the conveyer is turning and the plane can still be stationary. Now simply add thrust to it and the plane will move and eventually take off because of the movement of air under the wings

~James

There will be so much debate on this that someone is going to obtain a fat government grant to study this full size. Taxpayer monies will be spent on the plane, all the people's salaries to study it, argue on how to build it, then finally actually begin construction. While building the conveyer there will be millions of dollars in cost over-runs that will also be paid for by tax dollars. Finally the big day will come but things will not go as hoped. The plane wheels will be spinning at whatever takeoff speed is but any lift forces that normally would be generated will be negated by the equal forces of the conveyer moving the plane in the opposite direction. The tires will overheat & blow out, the plane will crash off the conveyer & there will be NTSA & FAA investigations & congressional hearings all funded by taxpayer dollars. This study & it's unfortunate outcome will create a shortage in tax revenue which will result your taxes going up & the next time you look at your paycheck stub you'll be pissed at whoever came up with this silly idea in the first place. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
**** James, he still lives in Germany and wont have to pay a cent !!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Unfortunately I do have to pay taxes.... :( But so does everyone else! :)

I am just glad I dont have to pay German taxes... holy cow.

~James

i say give it to mythbusters :lol: . they'll make it a lot more fun, let us watch, and our taxes won't go up ;) . although the government can be a good source of entertainment, it costs too much to watch! if the plane is only given enough throttle to maintain position on the conveyor, it will be stationary-no liftoff. if the plane is moving, it won't matter what the conveyor does, the motors will overcome any minor frictional loss, and take off. so, the end result depends on the scenerario.

catalpult yes, conveyor no,, you can fly with no ground speed but you need necessary airspeed

and a GD scarey flight it is. Pressure differential between the top and bottom of an airfoil is what

creates lift,, unless you use the compression lift method which takes alota power for take-off.

Landing or re-entering the earths atmosphere can fall under the compression lift area but often

requires computer control to handle it,, do it now an then in my friends Maule airplane, it's Fun!

Plywood blows off the pavement in a hurricane (compression lift) but no control, "Flight" is control.

Besides, you don't see many large conveyor belts atta airport do ya? :wacko:

later:By gawd, it will take off won't it?hehehe,, ya got us there!, well, some of us. I didn't look at the sites

that James put up until I thought it over. I thought about the wheels as being on ice and thats when the lights went on,,

JW

.........and then somebody will stand up and say " ground speed is not air speed! You need air speed to create lift!!! Congress will convine in closed session, come back and say we already approved the tax increase so we'll give it to the study of dairy cow farts and how it affects global warming.

I take a toy glider and hold it up while I run on the tread mill.( i am the forward thrust) I run the speed that would create lift on the glider. Does the glider fly out of my hand??? Am I missing something here?

Back