BVM Pinhole filler.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
Someone here (maybe Phil?) mentioned this product worked well so I gave it a try, it's amazing! As the instructions say, wipe it on (I used a disposable epoxy brush), wait till it dries then wipe it off with a paper towel. No sanding!

Here's as applied:

normal_sponsons_040.jpg

Here's dry:

normal_sponsons_047.jpg

Here's the end result:

normal_sponsons_034.jpg

That stuff is probally finer grain than the wall spackle which is what you want to fill those pesky tiny pin holes. Let us know how the prime and paint goes over the BVM stuff. I used some red filler after the pin hole filler then primmed two coats before painting.

Looks purdy good Phil, there's some slight indentations were the holes were but I'm sure it'll come out smooth with two coats of primer. Best part of it is you just wipe off the excess after it's dried, no sanding!

Wonder what it could be? :rolleyes:

normal_sponsons_050.jpg

ps: Happy Birthday!!! :lol:

Looks purdy good Phil, there's some slight indentations were the holes were but I'm sure it'll come out smooth with two coats of primer. Best part of it is you just wipe off the excess after it's dried, no sanding!
Wonder what it could be? :rolleyes:

normal_sponsons_050.jpg

ps: Happy Birthday!!! :lol:

Terry:

A boating friend (now deceased) told me how to fill pin holes easily.

Get a container of rubbing compound (the kind WITHOUT petroleum base) at the auto parts store. Rub it on the surface and into the pin holes and then wipe it off. Prime as usual and the pin holes are filled.

Worked great on a Sport 40 boat that had a ton of pin holes in it. Filled them all...

Marty Davis

I believe you will find it has an amazing resemblence to Zynkloid's exterior spackle (a mineral spirit based spackle). I haven't seen it lately, they maybe out of business, used to be able to find it at better painting contractor supply stores. It might be a victum of EPA-VOC regs. Some airplane flyers use just plane-old waterbased spackle ( the heavy cheap kind, not the lightweight kind), but can't vouch for it myself cause I haven't tried it. Be sure to completely remove the "haze" because it may interfer with primer bonding, don't ask how I know. I use left over primer thickened with talc, then I dot it on to each pinhole with a toothpick to get the last remaining pinholes that I never seem able to catch. The talc lets them knock-down easily so you don't over sand and go through the primer and have to apply yet another coat. Tried brushing on a coat of primer once, but sanding off all the runs I had to oversand into the epoxy and that brought out more pinholes, aaarg! Tried the Scotchbrite prep method once, the paint didn't stick well, so I now sand all the gloss off! Wouldn't it be nice if only one coat of primer would do it instead of three or four!!!!!! I would love to see more paint (or primed)in the mold epoxy boats. Don't expect the Violet filler to last over a year in the plastic container, transfer it to a small metal paint can if you need to keep the leftovers till next year. My .02 cents. Rudy

Last edited by a moderator:
NOW I find this out. No worries, as always I am sure I have some more pin holes to fill.

Terry,

Have you tried clear coat over this? Do you get the white "speckles" or do they kind of go away?

Thanks.

I believe you will find it has an amazing resemblence to Zynkloid's exterior spackle (a mineral spirit based spackle). I haven't seen it lately, they maybe out of business, used to be able to find it at better painting contractor supply stores. It might be a victum of EPA-VOC regs. Some airplane flyers use just plane-old waterbased spackle ( the heavy cheap kind, not the lightweight kind), but can't vouch for it myself cause I haven't tried it. Be sure to completely remove the "haze" because it may interfer with primer bonding, don't ask how I know. I use left over primer thickened with talc, then I dot it on to each pinhole with a toothpick to get the last remaining pinholes that I never seem able to catch. The talc lets them knock-down easily so you don't over sand and go through the primer and have to apply yet another coat. Tried brushing on a coat of primer once, but sanding off all the runs I had to oversand into the epoxy and that brought out more pinholes, aaarg! Tried the Scotchbrite prep method once, the paint didn't stick well, so I now sand all the gloss off! Wouldn't it be nice if only one coat of primer would do it instead of three or four!!!!!! I would love to see more paint (or primed)in the mold epoxy boats. Don't expect the Violet filler to last over a year in the plastic container, transfer it to a small metal paint can if you need to keep the leftovers till next year. My .02 cents. Rudy

Hey Rudy, is this the stuff:

http://www.synkoproducts.com/1201.htm

If so an 8oz can would surely be cheaper than the $7.50 for 6oz that BVM gets.

I used to thin Bondo spot putty with acetone, brush it on then sand it off, but not having to sand is great! :)

ps: Wiped off clean with a dry paper towel, what kind of primer were you using that gave you problems?

NOW I find this out. No worries, as always I am sure I have some more pin holes to fill.
Terry,

Have you tried clear coat over this? Do you get the white "speckles" or do they kind of go away?

Thanks.

Haven't tried to clear it but I'm sure the specks would show.

My supplier told me a good trick to fill pinholes for a clear-coated part, take some of the paint and thicken it with Colloidal Silica (West 406), brush it on and sand off. The silica goes clear when wet.

I did my CF tubs this way and they came out beauty eh! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Rudy, is this the stuff:

http://www.synkoproducts.com/1201.htm

If so an 8oz can would surely be cheaper than the $7.50 for 6oz that BVM gets.

I used to thin Bondo spot putty with acetone, brush it on then sand it off, but not having to sand is great! :)

ps: Wiped off clean with a dry paper towel, what kind of primer were you using that gave you problems?

[/quote

That looks like the stuff. Guess my memory of how it was spelled failed me. One can will do about 40 boats with the smallest can, lol. I used K&B superpoxy primer, might have been the same time I used Scotchbrite and didn't sand the gloss off! Don't like spot putty cause K&B Superpoxy used to eat it. All the auto two part paints and primers seem to play so well together, even go over 1 part laquer primers and rattle can paints!! I guess I will have to change over when I run out of Superpoxy and Ultrapoxy in about 20 years!

Back