Where are the NAMBA Nationals this year?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EatMyShortsRacing

Well you never know... Eat My Shorts Racing may make its fourth NAMBA Nationals appearance in 2003....

I suppose the main question is where are they going to be held? I had heard rumours of Legg Lake but so far no confirmation. Once I can get the details of that and the IMPBA dates etc we may be able to make a tour of it all. We may even be able to interest a few more Aussies???

Hey Imagine turning up with 4 different brands of Hydros.. Stinger, Kingcraft, Andy Brown, and Redline.. 3 different engines... A (P.I.P) , MAC and Rossi..

At least all my Mono's are Seaducers....

EMS Racing International man of leisure

Ian,

Someone else has to get across.... or they will all think all the other Australian racers are like me!!!!

Magilla??? You up to it????

just leave the freight for our twins to me!!!

Ouch.,...

What happened to Legg Lake???

LA is probably the best place for Aussies to race because of the need to freight boats. Once we leave LA it is around US$75 per boat per flight. See I told you it can be cheaper to leave boats behind!!!

If there is a few and we can hire a big van and drive from LA then its viable. If we have to fly from there you might as well kiss us goodbye... May be able to bring 21s but thats about it. I have done the dragging 4 riggers across the country (Colorado... cost me US$200 to get them from Seattle to Greeley) and would have been another US$150 to get them back to Dallas and another US$150 back to LA...

EMS Racing I MUST love this.... or am I really that crazy???

Craig,

How many $$$$ we talking? if it is not too over the top i might be able to, ill have to get my mono done by then and maybe build a 45 mono,

im keen but it comes down to $$$$ dude.

How will you get the twins there??

dale

Dale,

we usually get Qantas to give us freight exemtptions for the boats so the international stuff is pretty cool... its when we have to go US Domestic that it becomes a hassle... Thats why racing in LA is so attractive in comparison for us!!!

I have checked things direct to Seattle and havent been picked up on excess freight but thats usually only on the first leg. Once you try to get back even on a flight that is connecting with your international flight yo will be up for excess baggage at hellish rates. I am also interested to see what the airline security will be like trying to carry the boats!!! Last time I didnt have too much hassle checing the boats thru baggage but they freaked out when I had 100 glow plugs in my carry on case!!!

Gimme a little time to check all the info out and see if it is viable to do this year.... or we may just have to wait...

Just looked up qantas, about $2500AU from Melbourne to LA. What sort of money are we talking about to survive the time over there?

What do you do for fuel and starter batteries? What about radio frequencies also?

I would probably only take the rigger as NAMBA wont let me use my radio tabs on the mono.... ;D

Ian.

Ian,

Fuel you buy there... usually you can get 40% or 60% easily. Start packs you borrow over there. Cant take batteries or fuel on the plane..

Whats wrong with RC tabs on a mono????

Frequencies talk to me about direct.

the big $$$ is in accomodation and rental cars.

Rooms start from around US$50 a night upwards...

Rental Cars again from US$50 a day...

Works out better if 2 or 3 do it together... although the Aussie $ is almost at US$0.60 so its not as bad as last time... :)

Craig,

Have you got some sort of estimate of the other costs based on past experience?

Would I have trouble getting 25% nitro?

I might have to start a second job! : :)

I have read elsewhere that NAMBA do not allow radio adjustable tabs. Maybe someone on this board from NAMBA can confirm that?

Ian.

Hi guys

I would be interested in a trip like that allways wanted to go to the US and race i will need to know all the details

CHD Racing

Paul

Ian,

You can get whatever you like really... just a matter of getting hold of someone before you go over to organise exactly what you will need...

I have had tremendous help from NAMBA boaters, especially Cathie Galbraith and all the ZOO CREW members as well as Roy Edenfield, Gary Moll and Al Hobbs and so many others...

Well it looks like I am the official tour guide now... hehehe

And I dont think its going to be possible to do NAMBA and IMPBA unless you guys have lots of $$$$$. From the looks of it we would have to pick up a car in LA and drive to New Mexico. Have to be a BIG car if there is 3 or 4 of us and ten or 12 boats!!!! Maybe we can just ship a trailer across... LOL

To do both would mean flying everywhere and lots of $$$$$$$$$ in freight

EMS Racing... dont follow me, I am lost!!!

Okay you US guys, who has the better hydro racing at their nats, IMPBA or NAMBA? ???

That should be controversial...... ;D

Craig,

They have BIG cars over there.... But the two nats are too close to each other this year to do both (without flying). And I dont think I could afford both!

Ian.

The other option is to fly to New York (since it is a Qantas Destination freight is not an issue) and drive to the IMPBA Nats. That drive looks a lot shorter than LA to New Mexico...

OR..... even Melbourne Chicago direct???

Thats looking like a real option for the IMPBA Nats....

yes it says $3500 for the tickets but once we go to book them we will probably pay around $2500...

Ian,

I have only raced NAMBA. I have been out for a run with John Ackermann when he was in Indianapolis but thats about it for IMPBA. From the looks of it IMPBA is a lot easier to do this year than NAMBA...

ahh but Melbourne-Chicago is only $3200....

The flights vary in cost and it is peak season for us to fly then... like I can get to LA for $1700 in February, but $2500 in July...

And the drive is only a few hours... not a day or over...

The weather may be a bit more bearable at the IMPBA race too...

Sorry for leaning towards the IMPBA race... just looking a lot more attractive and easier to get to than the NAMBA race...

Pity coz I had a great time at the NAMBA races and would love to catch up with them again..

Why dont we organise next year for NAMBA, that gives me some time to get the boats going and get everything sorted!

What 5 months not enough for you????

hmmm... may just go and take a couple of A boats.. (or are they B in IMPBA?)

:)

We also need to know where NAMBA is going to be held in 2004. We really need to have the races close to a Qantas Destination or it becomes too expensive. Thats why IMPBA is looking good this year... nice and close to Chicago...

Latest posts

Back