Was there a time when the Dumas Hot Shot was competitive?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes.. BUT.. not the ABS version.. the wood boat was a very good little boat.

Grim

I have seen those boats run very well. I remember when there would be 5 or 6 or more brands of tunnel boats in a heat race and there was no clear 'rabbit'. Then there were the guys who would show up with a good prop and a good set up and show you how it's done.

first boat I started with did do well with it after I learned it didn't work like my rc car, lol still have the hull as a momento

At one time (1999 I think) a Dumas ABS tunnel held the NAMBA 3.5 mod tunnel SAW record. I've been beaten by Joe Monohan's wood Dumas Hotshot at a time when its 24" length was starting to be small for the more powerful engines. It was the beginning of a long series of Jerry Dunlap tunnels. One has raced at our club until this year.

Lohring Miller

yup ,held records and won lots of races

then the rossi/nova rossi PTO/crank kits started getting build and you got a more powerful engine that wouldnt break after 5 laps lol

then the new powerheads started breaking shafts so along came lawless.

then boats got allot more expensive for the beginner. off topic but come to think of it ,this(maybe) started the decline of rc boating/nitro...the outboard 3.5 being most common starting point for most. once the price quadrupled .......

org 3.5 = $100 maybe less i got in in the '90s

hot shot =$125 wood kit was cheaper,prob $75

dang

I'm basically a club racer type, not all that hardcore but I do race a couple of Hotshot hulls. One is a .45 and the other a .21. Both use KB outboard engines and do quite well. Not the fastest boats at the race but the engines put out good power in Sport B and D Tunnel and I have discovered that they seem to handle rough conditions better than many tunnel boats. Racing at Sycamore a few weeks back my .45 boat was finishing in second place ahead of at least three faster boats simply because I was able to finish the race while three of four others crashed in rough conditions. The first place boat handled well and was simply faster than my old hull.I also raced a Cobra in B Tunnel but it couldn't handle conditions and did not finish a heat all day. FWIW I have a total of five wood Hotshot boats and would race any of them. I also have three of the .21 size glass Hotshots. None of these is the fastest these days but they handle well and often will finish in rougher conditions while others don't. And they are fun. After I finish a couple of builds now underway in the rigger class I will probably invest in a faster tunnel and more current power plants. I do have a VS-1 that would be even better with an OS. Still, the Hotshots are boats I would not hesitate to put in a race.

Rick H.

I used to race with the first Dumas "shovel nose" Tunnel Hull. I won a first place using a K&B 3.5 nitro engine. I just recently built another, but I designed the cockpit and canopy differently.

IMG_0098.JPG

IMG_0057.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, now I want to get one to have........would be fun to have it built just like the box art.

Back