? about a two part flex shaft.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffmaturo

I have a pursuit FE mono hull and it comes with a two part flex shaft. The shaft towards the motor is flexible and the section closest to the prop appears solid. The question I have is how do you remove and grease the solid end towards the shaft? It will not move forward or backwards. The instructions tell you absolutely nothing. Any help would be appreciated as I had to remove the motor just to lube the flex part of the shaft.

Thanks, Jeff

Can you pull the strut off? Is the shaft and cable welded together or is there a ferrel with 2 set screws in itlike the square drive set-up? How is the cable connected to the motor? Maybe a picture or 2 mite help to see the set-up?

Brad

The end of the flex shaft is squared. I can not get the solid end out to take a picture. The cable connects to the motor via a collet and two set screws. There has to be a way of greasing the solid end as well.

To grease the solid stub shaft you must remove the strut, then remove the prop nut followed by the prop & drive dog. The solid shaft then slides out pushing it out of the front of the strut. As said drill a grease hole in the strut to grease this shaft, but you still have to remove the strut to get the flex out to clean & re grease. Most simply change out the stock 2 piece flex & stub for a 3/16"1 piece welded flex shaft, where you only have to undo the coupling & simply slide out the 1 piece shaft for greasing.

There are pro's and con's to the different drives as the square shaft does not put thrust load on the motor bearings but on the strut thrust bearing and is more time to maintain. The 1 piece drive loads the motors front bearing so you leave a gap between the drive dog and strut for the shaft to shorten under load and not rub on the strut but is easier to grease.

Brad

Thank you for the info guys. I am trying to purchase a one piece flex shaft but they are no where to be found right now for this boat. It would make my life so much easier...

check this video, not sure if this is your model.

In this second video there looks to be a set screw after where the two set screw tighten onto the square, this might release the cable so that you can grease it.

Fons

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back