tether line hydros

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

James montgomery

Just wondering if anybody has seen these boatd or ever been to a tether line boat race. I have seen them on youtube but it is only one boat at a time dont u think if it was going to be a race the should race two at a time on seprate from each other of course to me it would make more seance to have two at a time and the faster speed moves on. Just wondering how those races work or how they decide who wins or wht not. Thought this might be intresting to talk and rant about.lol

James

Sry should have worded that better didnt mean on same pole I ment on seprate poles spread out between the two so the both can run together and not hit each other. I think that would be cool too see and one that runs the most laps or the one that makes the faster speed should move on. I think they r cool and seen some fast tetherline boats and cars crazy fast.

Jaames

A local guy had tether cars and held the world record for awhile.I never knew where his stuff went when he passed but saw several of his cars at one of our hobby shows. A cool piece of history for sure

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering if anybody has seen these boatd or ever been to a tether line boat race. I have seen them on youtube but it is only one boat at a time dont u think if it was going to be a race the should race two at a time on seprate from each other of course to me it would make more seance to have two at a time and the faster speed moves on. Just wondering how those races work or how they decide who wins or wht not. Thought this might be intresting to talk and rant about.lol

James
Ed Kalfus from the Northeast was a great tether line racer. Later in his years he also raced R.C. boats. Jim Allen on this site was a good friend of Ed's. Maybe he can give us some more

history on Ed's stats.

Bill Hoch

Ya I think they r cool has heck and some of those boats r realy turning some laps man crazy fast and some r flashsteam powered and fast as heck I think those r cool as hell.

Ed Kalfus you say!! My dad took me to Richies Hobby Town in PA/ NJ in 1964. EDs boats name was "Blitz" and it ran around 106mph that day. On another day ED came to our club lake on Long Island NY with his White Heat 4-60 which ran in the low 60s with his hand built engine and Proportional Radio which didnt exist in the 60s. Ed Kalfus along with my dad was my inspiration. Good to hear his name again and he is in the IMPBA hall of fame. Tim

I have seen his boqys on youtube pretty cool stuff kind of crazy they where runing speed like that back in the day. Would love to hear morw about this style of boating I think they r awsome and paved the way for wht rc boating is today.

James

Ed Kalfus you say!! My dad took me to Richies Hobby Town in PA/ NJ in 1964. EDs boats name was "Blitz" and it ran around 106mph that day. On another day ED came to our club lake on Long Island NY with his White Heat 4-60 which ran in the low 60s with his hand built engine and Proportional Radio which didnt exist in the 60s. Ed Kalfus along with my dad was my inspiration. Good to hear his name again and he is in the IMPBA hall of fame. Tim
Tim;

He was quite a legend. I still have a couple of his original props that I keep for memories.( I think he cast his own too). One of my first radios was Ed's handbuilt proportional radios. The servos were all linear (straight line) motion that used a long wirewound potentiometer rather than the rotatary type used today. All metal to metal noise had to be grounded or eliminated because it was suseptible to noise.

Bill

Hi Bill, if you new Ed you probably new Henry Parole who was a tool and die maker for Buliva watch co. He built a 90 marine engine for me and a man named Charlie Contino, I also have one of his props. Tim

Gill their is now classes for electric tether hydros, still in early days for these classes. With the smallest size boats which are old 3.5cc boats their not far off the ic engine speeds in official compatition. However im told that in practic in the Ukraine they have done 250kph (156mph) with a small size motor & 4s. Regards Martin.

Back