Viable motors for FE Sport 40

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlnoki

ok guys, what are viable motor choises (both inrunner and outrunner) used for

the boats?

Depends on what you want to spend but my favorite sport 40 motor is the Neu 1527 1Y.

One that I think may do good is the Leopard 4092 1300kv.

Whats the KV on the Castle Motor you are using Hugh?

1580 is correct Carl. Chilli there is a 1500 kv 6mm shaft version on sale on IW from a member for 100 bucks .Youll have to go look if the FS section. There is also another member with a brand new entire castle setup . 200 ice hv v2, and a castle 1717 1580 kv version. Ive been able to pull up to an h-18 through this exact sytem without issue. x450-x455 seems to be where it likes to run on 6 s. Im really pleased with the 1717. I sold both my Nues but they were the 1250 kv versions. The neu is a beast but I saw no need to swap it out after I ran the 1717. Im not quite convinced that Im losing anything by doing it coz the 1717 claims 5000 watts burst so thts more than enough power IMO. Ive been pulling between 140 -180 or so amperes in the PTSS45; on 6 s. 5hp thats good power. I logged in the 30-35k range on rpms.

Note: Ive pulled 380 amps burst through the Ice 200 HV v2 with no pyro drama.

I really like this castle stuff the motor are really smooth running and seem to be able to take a beating. Its barely working in the PT. It all comes in barely warm.

"snowman" is running skorpion outrunners and doing great things with them too.

Last edited:
Good info. Temps okay after a 3-4 minute run?? Some running the 1500kv Neu 1527 think the kv is a little too high.

Im running the 1527 1.5d 1500kv motor in the sport 40 and its doing great. Power and punch is strong. To me the 1250kv is sluggish on 6s as I run that motor in my scales on 8s and its strong. Mike

Thanks Mikey, I'm hearing conflicting reports on what KV is best. Don't want to smoke a motor heat racing.

Any news from Dick in Charleston??

Last edited by a moderator:
I ran a 1.5D for a while and it was a strong motor but with a big prop the amp draw was pretty high. With the 1Y (1250kv) I can run a larger prop and the temps on everything are less.

Ray, what size prop and what speeds. I would like to know and see if its comparible. Mike

Mike when I ran my PT45 on the 1.5D motor I was running 63-66mph in heat racing format with a X450 prop, amp draw was just over 200 amps. With the 1Y motor I am getting about to the same speed with a X452 prop or a X450/3 blade at about 150 amps. I havev't really started to push the hull over 200 amps with the 1Y setup but I bet with a X457 prop I will be getting close to 70mph with a amp draw in the 200's. I have been playing with lexan air dams on the front canards to keep the boat more stable in the straights and they seem to be working great. At first I made them to long and they were actually slowing the boat and the amp draw was going up so I have cut them down quite a bit and now the speed is back up and the side to side sponson rocking is gone. Honestly I really have no need to push the hull any faster than it is now, I dont race so I am more focused this season to run the boat for 3 min at just about 60mph using a X447/3 or a X450 prop.

A 1250 kv wye wind has more torque so it will perform similarly to 1.5d with the right prop . The 1.5 d is going to pull more amps in the same setup trying to pull the same prop.

Last edited:
Yeah I agree with that. I had two castle esc's just quit when I was using the D wind so that is why I ended up selling it for the WYE wind motor. I think with a cupped X447/3 or a cupped X450 this boat will be insane. I may also try a X455/3 prop cut down to 50mm, the added pitch from cutting it down should add some speed and not add many amps. I still haven't tried any ABC props but I like to run the 1516/3 on my sport 21 hull and it works great....low amps and nice speed.

Hmm, maybe I will give the 1250kv a try on another sport 40 design I am working on. On the GP400 I am running an x457 with tip cup on the 1527 1.5d and it was coming out of the turns, while still on the turn fin at 64mph on radar, so I suspect the top speeds were higher in the straights. I am running the castle ice 240a esc, and now you have me concerned with the D wind, even tho temps have been coming back 118 on the esc, 125-135 on the motor depending if its the 1st or 2nd set of packs running threw it back to back, and the batteries are 110. Hmm...lots of thinking to do.

Mike

is that motor set up using the 335 or the 400 boat?
Carl, I currently have the 1527 1.5d 1500kv in the gp400- 6s

and the 1521 1.5d 1860kv in the gp335- 4s

and the 1512 1d 4875kv in the gp265- 2s

and I usually run the 1527 1y's in my 1/8th scales -8s

Guess I will try the 1527 1y in the sx400 when its built.

Mike

Hmm, maybe I will give the 1250kv a try on another sport 40 design I am working on. On the GP400 I am running an x457 with tip cup on the 1527 1.5d and it was coming out of the turns, while still on the turn fin at 64mph on radar, so I suspect the top speeds were higher in the straights. I am running the castle ice 240a esc, and now you have me concerned with the D wind, even tho temps have been coming back 118 on the esc, 125-135 on the motor depending if its the 1st or 2nd set of packs running threw it back to back, and the batteries are 110. Hmm...lots of thinking to do.
Mike I wouldn't worry if you are running the ice esc's, both of the esc's that quit on me were the older non-ice esc's. I think the new ice esc's are built much better than the older hydra esc's and will handle more current with no problems.

Back