outboard engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2FAST4U

anyone else make an outboard engine besides k&b.?? been thinking of getting into boats but all ive read on here about k&b engines now i dont know..

2Fast...tired of planes? ;)

There are other OB Mfg (Thunder Tiger, OS), but finding a distributor stateside is getting difficult. But don't let that keep you from getting into a boat. Several companies make power heads (CMB, Mac, Nova Rossi) and others produce their own lowers (Lawless, Hyperformance).

The market is there...it's just a matter of time before someone steps up to the plate to fill the void left by K&B. Plus, eBay is full of K&B engines and parts.

Then you have the world of inboards (cats, riggers, v hulls, etc). You can have gas powered or electric. Big, little, scale, inexpensive and not-so-inexpensive, kits, RTR, and on and on...

Jump in, Dude! We're here to help!

2Fast,

My recommend is to find a club near where you live. If you're in the states, NAMBA and IMPBA each have links to district directors who can help you find a nearby club. Once you meet someone, ask lots of question as this is the only way you'll understand what you want to run.

I'm sure a member will be happy to help you as we are interested in expanding the hobby/sport.

More power errr, uhh, Nitro to you and keep us posted. We love to hear success stories.

Snowdog

You have to watch some of the K&Bs on Ebay. NOOOOO P/S and people are selling them cause there worn. I KNOW, I got one and was worn.

But you need to shop around and see what you want and what kind of power plan you want.

Some LHS had OS OBs still, others dont.

I was at one and someone called for a OS OB and they said they dont have them.

Sooo they were trying to sell the guy a lawless lower and Rossi or CMB power head.

If you want a good 3.5 OB, Talk to Tim and PB and get his OS set up.

What is so bad wrong with the K&B engines I have been running two of them for three years and have never had a lot of trouble with them Any engine will give you trouble if you dont take the time to keep it up and service it like it needs to be

What is so bad wrong with the K&B engines
Two words....'parts availability'

K&Bs are good engines ( I have several), and were the standard for many years. But the whole Mecoa-K&B buyout/move/retooling thing is a mess.

Propjockey Racing...we need parts! 8)

YES K&Bs are great running engines.

But why run them when you cant get parts?

I think this whole think with K&B really hurt them.

there trying to comeout with new motors but there so many people now with new powerheads and just as good.

Wish they would put out a bunch of P/S for the SS motors.

IF and WHEN and that's a big IF, K&B gets their act together, they better be prepared for the onslaught of folks ordering pistons & sleeves. I'm sure that those who've been nursing their engines for 2+ years now are wearing their sleeves very thin.

I've made a decision that if they don't get parts out by the end of this calender year, I'm going with a different maker. Not sure yet but I've heard rave reviews about the OS-RG engine. Sure, I love K&B as that's what I started with some 13 years ago but the lack of pistons & sleeves is uncalled for. I echo Nitrotoys, this lack of performance really hurt K&B and I don't think they'll ever dig themselves out of this hole.

My 2 cents,

Snowdog

The OS RG engines SURE run nice.

Everyone you talk to swears by the RELIABILITY of a OS. Performance may not be all there with the others (cmb, rossi, mac) But they are not that tempermental.

I hope Tims Motor hes doing up with the OS takes off.

Not just for Tims sake, but for the sake K&B left everyone HIGH and DRY with all these motors out there. and not a **** P/S out there. and i hope other mfgs of OB engines keep them comming as WELL AS GOOD PARTS SUPPLIES.

Say K&B Made up 5000 pistons and sleeves. How long do you really think they would last???

I Know i would buy 4 sets, for my 2 engines.

what about others??

Has anyone tried the "pinch" process being done to car p/s's ??

It might just get a little extra life out of it b4 it is finally gone.......

Expanding or running a pipe cutter around the piston is a very short term fix for a worn out P&L.

I'd reccomend buying the OS for 1 big reason - parts will be available. Too many broken promises from K&B.

The pinch process is not running a cutter around the piston or expanding it. John Bohland came up with some type of fixture that goes in some giant press and actually very slightly squeezes the sleeve. I also race 1/8 scale off road and I gotta tell ya,,,,IT WORKS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have a RB ws7 .21 that I effectively wore out,over 10 gallons and had no pinch left. Sent it to John for $20,re-broke in the motor and I'm going on my 6th or 7th gallon and the motor still runs like a raped ape. It actually has more bottom and top end than it ever did. He has done hundreds of them from all over the world since the word got out and 99.9 percent of the people are tickled to death. I know that alot of you would be sceptical about it but what do you have to lose. The p/s was basically junk anyway,and whats $20 in this hobby. I know of some guys that even sent in brand new ones because of the added power. His e-mail is [email protected] $20 is better than $90 in my book and you will be happy with the results. Turn-around is usually very quick. Give it a shot,you will like it once it's broke back in. Rick

Hey Rick,

That sounds great! Does he only do 21 sized liners or can he do larger stuff too?

Tim.

I talked to him at a race and he said he has'nt yet but probably could. Shoot him an e-mail and see what he says. I'd send him the p/s from my k&b red head but theres almost no crome left in that thing.lol

There is a guy here in Oz. that rechromes and hones the liners if they aren't badly scored and makes a new piston to suit - costs about $140 Australian (approx. $92 US). An alternative if the liner is too far gone for the pinch process and new when parts aren't available I guess.

Back