Outrigger Airboat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gooycheese

Chat Moderator
I was hoping someone here would be willing to give a little help with a question I was asked, this is the question:

I'm looking to break a speed record with an airpower adapted outrigger,I already hold the record for a flatbottom that has been gps'd at 45.2mph and would like to get into the 70's with a airpowered outrigger. The record for this class is held at 47mph so it shouldent be to hard to beat. I see you have experiance with these outriggers and was wondering if you could give me some advice on size and setup(balance point, weight and length, width of sponsons) or any thing else I would need to know to go fast for a .21 sized outrigger.

I'm not really sure where I got experience but I am flattered, I said i would ask some people/friends that have alot of experience with the riggers if it can be done they would know how to do it. Please Help.

Thanks So Much in Advance :)

Paul

I dont know if the out rigger would be faster since it is a lifting and planing boat. It would probably have to be designed different since it wouldnt have the lift from the prop. Have you thought about using ducted fan engines or motors

I was hoping someone here would be willing to give a little help with a question I was asked, this is the question:
I'm looking to break a speed record with an airpower adapted outrigger,I already hold the record for a flatbottom that has been gps'd at 45.2mph and would like to get into the 70's with a airpowered outrigger. The record for this class is held at 47mph so it shouldent be to hard to beat. I see you have experiance with these outriggers and was wondering if you could give me some advice on size and setup(balance point, weight and length, width of sponsons) or any thing else I would need to know to go fast for a .21 sized outrigger.

I'm not really sure where I got experience but I am flattered, I said i would ask some people/friends that have alot of experience with the riggers if it can be done they would know how to do it. Please Help.

Thanks So Much in Advance :)

Paul
Hey gooycheese, I tried to make an airboat out of a Dumas Quickie 40 that was chopped to be used for a 3.5cc outboard, I since adapted the railing to affix a motor mount and rudders for it, and mounted a K&B 40 on it for an engine. The only problems I had was I couldn't get to plain up on the rear sponsons every time I would try and speed it up the rear sponsons would pull it down under the water, but I gave up on it and built a big swamp buggy to play with. I would like to make another attempt at it but I think a different hull design would be in order. Dave

i played with the idea of an airboat a while ago , using ducted fan nitros

it would go alright in a straight line , but wont turn

build it with thin aircraft ply over 1/4 " depron-foam core and you may get it light enough.

Jason

after the video it gave me an idea of how the boat will run. First off you should make a true out rigger. and if it is designed for strait lines you should use Saw style Sponsons like on our rigger DSC001_1_.JPG. notice the narrowing at the top. also you can curve the middle section out to keep stuff dry. you will or should run it as a 4 point or a shaped single sponson for the back to start with as it will give you a good base to run off of as 3 point hydros use the prop for the third point and you want to keep as much of the boat out of the water at speed. Also an adjustable engine mount will give you your angle of attack for the entire boat. Other forums have sections on planes for speed planes, they might be able to help you in the prop and engine department.

I can tell you what is a lot of fun and that is running my Dumas Big Swamp Buggy with my OS 61 that I took out of my Concept 60. I can tell you one thing for sure it gets it out across the snow in the winter. Snow definetly gives you a big ol lake of white fluffy stuff to play in, I think that it is more fun to play with it in the snow than it is to run it on water. :p Like they say when you live up here in the North Country of Northern New York yeah gotta come up with something to do during the winter months besides build boats a person can only spend so much time in front of thee ol work bench if yeah no what I mean. Happy New Years ye'll. Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I already hold the record for a flatbottom that has been gps'd at 45.2mph

Paul
Hey Gooycheese,

I am very interested in your record for the flat bottom. I personally can't remember seeing any record of that speed in the books. Do you have a video, I would sure like to see it.

There are guys in Japan currently running well over 100mph with an air powered outrigger, there was an article about it in a mid 90's RC boat modeler magazine.

Larry Jr.

I personally don't have a airboat, I was quoting someone who does and is looking to make a rigger airboat. But i figured if anyone would know about making boats go fast this would be the place to ask.

Thanks Paul

Here are 2 pics of Japanese Air boat riggers. I thought about trying to build something like this a few years ago but it never went further than an idea.

IMAGE011.gif

IMAGE002.gif

David

Latest posts

Back