Epoxy fix?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Larson

Hey guys! built boats last winter, tested all summer.... the epoxy i have available is not of the west systems quality and, its flaking off my rigger tub where the fuel cell sits..... recommended fix? before the nitro leaches into the wood if not already, how do you get it cleaned up to take epoxy again? west systems? Im using a standard low set time LHS epoxy, and it aint cuttin it...... ideas accepted..... thanks mike

Im using a standard low set time LHS epoxy, and it aint cuttin it...... ideas accepted..... thanks mike
When you say "low set time", are you talking about 5min quick set epoxy? If you are, then that is probably the problem that you are having. I've heard that the quick set epoxies are not as fuel proof as the slow set (30-45 min) or stuff like West Systems, West Marine or any of a number of other laminating epoxy resins.

My recommendation would be to clear coat over the epoxy with a good two part automotive urethane to really fuel proof it.

As far as cleaning up the mess that you have........... :unsure: . Without seeing what it really looks like, I'd think that you'd want to remove all of the oil with some lacquer thinner. Then use some more with more fresh rags. Then some more lacquer thinner until you're sure that you've got as much of the oil out of there as possible. Next, it'll be time for the sandpaper. Use a different epoxy and then clearcoat it afterward.

If you having delamination happening, then you might be able to get it all out with a chisel. This would be your best bet. A little time consuming, but worht it. Get to the raw wood and clean that up. You might find that it has already gotten under it all.

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, the same thing happened to my rigger, I used baking soda to soak up the fuel. Any type of thinner and you run the risk of softening the glue joints. Call me if you have questions.

Derek

Learned this from the airplane guys. Get yourself a can of spray K2R spot remover, (for stains on clothes), and spray on the oil soaked area. Sweep up the sprayed area after it's dried, and keep reapplying untill the powder stays white. At this stage, all of the oil has beem soaked up, and you're ready to reglue.

Hope this helps!

Steve Ball

Thanks Guys... :) The boats arent to the wood yet.... just a consistent eating of the epoxy.... Ive all winter to remedy the problems.... I use a finishing resin available at the LHS, and have many coats for tub protection, west systems will smoke whats available here, but, its whats available.... by slow set, I mean 30 min or 12 hour depeding on my tasks..... apparantly epoxy cant hack 45% ..... christ would 60 burn a hole through? thinking /wondering if an auto spray clear will bond to the existing.... and solve the delamination? I dont spill much fuel, but what little arrives is causing damage and future failure of the hull im sure.... Propdaddy D ill be in touch.... Steve! Im still using your piccos! Ill be in touch, thanks all..... mike

Thanks Guys... :) The boats arent to the wood yet.... just a consistent eating of the epoxy.... Ive all winter to remedy the problems.... I use a finishing resin available at the LHS, and have many coats for tub protection, west systems will smoke whats available here, but, its whats available.... by slow set, I mean 30 min or 12 hour depeding on my tasks..... apparantly epoxy cant hack 45% ..... christ would 60 burn a hole through? thinking /wondering if an auto spray clear will bond to the existing.... and solve the delamination? I dont spill much fuel, but what little arrives is causing damage and future failure of the hull im sure.... Propdaddy D ill be in touch.... Steve! Im still using your piccos! Ill be in touch, thanks all..... mike
Mike,

For a small amount of quality epoxy resin try this; https://www.ndic.com/systemthree/trial_kits.asp

Not West System , but same for quality,click on Silver Tip trial kit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back