Who's using Lipo's

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J Solinger

For those that have tried Lipo cells to power their class N2 up to P boats, how are they working out?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got 2, unused 7.4v 7600 maH packs for sale. $140 ea with Deans connectors.

They assemble and configured to run in a P boat.

I've been eyeing those but I've got a few other things on the front burner.

What I'm looking for is what "good" experiances people have had using them in the low voltage classes. I've brought this up a few times and haven't gotten any positive feedback about them. I plan on trying them despite the house fires and burned hair but I would like to hear one succes story.

Joe

I know that Dick Crowe has used them. Closer to home, The CAFE crowd, meaning Kelly Brooks, Alan Nayman and Photohoward are the ones to talk to. I know for sure that they have recently run them in their Offshore boats.

Joe,

Give Chris Fine a call too. He's been doing some extensive testing and running for over a year know and is a huge proponent of them.

CAFE has tried them in all Offshore Class Boats. Great run time, Longevity and charge at home. No peaking at the pond. They like to be about 110 degrees you can actually see a difference. It is also very very important not to let them stay wet or damp. One of the connections on my N2 Pack just corroded off. The tabs are aluminium and they corrode the wire off very fast. I am coating the connections with Plasticoat to see if this helps.

Don't be fooled by the price. In the long run they are much cheaper than Subc cells. Just do not abuse them.

HT

I wonder if a shellac like they use on circuit boards and other electronics would be the ticket. The shellac might adhere more closely with the metal.

Andrewg said:
got a 6ah pack for the 1/8TH SHOVEL WILL LET YOU KNOW....

93802[/snapback]

DANGER! Andrew,

All Lipos are MAXIMUN of 10C reguardless of what the retailers say, the factorys that build the them say they are 10C tops.

Yes you can pull more if you only want maybe 20 cycles out of them

and fire in your boat doesn't worry you.

Most of the hi amp guys are setting up for 8C to keep from burning the boats down and get longer life.

Sounds like you got Kolkams, beware they are still 10C cells, there are tons of data at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php under Batterys.

Be careful and have fun

Jim,

He has the massive 6.0AH polyquest packs, not some Kokam junk. The Tabs on these are an inch wide.

thanks

Steve

Jim Caldwell said:
Andrewg said:
got a 6ah pack for the 1/8TH SHOVEL WILL LET YOU KNOW....

93802[/snapback]

DANGER! Andrew,

All Lipos are MAXIMUN of 10C reguardless of what the retailers say, the factorys that build the them say they are 10C tops.

Yes you can pull more if you only want maybe 20 cycles out of them

and fire in your boat doesn't worry you.

Most of the hi amp guys are setting up for 8C to keep from burning the boats down and get longer life.

Sounds like you got Kolkams, beware they are still 10C cells, there are tons of data at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/index.php under Batterys.

Be careful and have fun

93828[/snapback]

So far no probs.....but i did get a pack wet and have yet to disassemble.

Might need a very large condom to prevent leaks! :)

My thoughts are not to coat with a chemical but some other form of protection...box or large balloons.

The whole water/dampness thing is probably the main reason why I haven't bought any of these yet. Dan Proulx's comments, and now another re: the tabs corroding?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of Fine's testing is cycling them on the bench.

Lipo's obviously have cycling capabilites WAYY beyond 3300's. But if getting them wet increases their failure rate, How often will you be replacing them pre-maturely? Not to mention if you blow one up for other reasons.

"Lipo's obviously have cycling capabilites WAYY beyond 3300's"

I am not sure about this statement....I am seeing that they lose capacity fairly quickly when ran at the top rating, which is what FE boats are doing. I would not expect anything beyond 75 cycles until we see the 20C cells come out in a few months. If you take a 20C pack and run it at 15C or less, you may see the really good cycle life.

thanks

Steve

David Newland said:
The whole water/dampness thing is probably the main reason why I haven't bought any of these yet.  Dan Proulx's comments, and now another re: the tabs corroding?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of Fine's testing is cycling them on the bench. 

Lipo's obviously have cycling capabilites WAYY beyond 3300's.  But if getting them wet increases their failure rate, How often will you be replacing them pre-maturely?  Not to mention if you blow one up for other reasons.

93869[/snapback]

If I'm understanding right, under current technology, with a lipo pack built for a given class that will run at 10c or less you will get an indefinite number of cycles, possibly years of use. These packs get pretty big and expencive.

So the 20c constant isn't realistic for any of the current lipo cells?

If you have a pack rated at 10C max and run it at 10C, I'd expect <80 cycles. If the newer 20C packs are ran,once they come out, at say 15C, I think they are going to last longer. Nothing is going to last "years", maybe Nicads, NIMH sure won't.

If you take the current 10C technolgy and run them at 8C or less, yes, I'd expect >100 cycles.

thanks

Steve

J Solinger said:
If I'm understanding right, under current technology, with a lipo pack built for a given class that will run at 10c or less you will get an indefinite number of cycles, possibly years of use. These packs get pretty big and expencive.
So the 20c constant isn't realistic for any of the current lipo cells?

93883[/snapback]

David Newland said:
The whole water/dampness thing is probably the main reason why I haven't bought any of these yet.  Dan Proulx's comments, and now another re: the tabs corroding?

Lipo's obviously have cycling capabilites WAYY beyond 3300's.  But if getting them wet increases their failure rate, How often will you be replacing them pre-maturely?  Not to mention if you blow one up for other reasons.

93869[/snapback]

Boy Dave I bet you wipe the entire rim with Lysol before using it! :lol:

It would seem to me that all this talk about the potential disastrous effects of getting LiPo packs wet (and then leaving them wet for days :rolleyes: ) is merely skirting the most basic issues of -

1. keeping water out of your LiPo battery packs

and even more basic -

2. keeping water out of your boat interior.

If your house had a hole in the roof and every time it rained, your $5000 oriental carpet got damaged or destroyed, would you then limit yourself to having plastic floor tiles or would you, perhaps, fix the roof?

Latest posts

Back