Charging Lipo Batteries wired in series

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimWalters

Just wondering how you charge lipo batteries for FE boats with the 8mm bullet connectors that are wired in series. Would I just make 2 separate charge leads that have the opposite connections as the batteries?
Thanks!

Y
Just wondering how you charge lipo batteries for FE boats with the 8mm bullet connectors that are wired in series. Would I just make 2 separate charge leads that have the opposite connections as the batteries?
Thanks!
Yes you charge each battery on its own.

If the batteries are evenly matched Hyperion chargers have a model that allows you to plug in both balance connectors and charge in series. I do that with 2S packs in series all the time. If you can't connect all the balance leads, you need to charge the packs separately.

Lohring Miller

Often the issue is the balance leads.
For this reason usually each has a separate balance lead and is the reason you need to charge each 4s pack separately.

Also a big majority of hobby chargers don't support 8s charging with the exception of a few nicer brands like iSDT and iCharger.

If you are not savvy on electrical connections do not attempt to charge packs in series. The trouble comes with the balance leads and needing a common tap for middle pair connection. Some balance boards have this already wired in the PCB, however unless you are certain it's best the charge separately.

You can also charge similar packs in parallel, but again if you are not knowledgeable best to charge separately.

I figured that was the case.. charging them separately.. But since the pos and neg leads don't go straight to the battery and tap together.. Making 2 custom charge leads that match said leads for each battery...

I figured that was the case.. charging them separately.. But since the pos and neg leads don't go straight to the battery and tap together.. Making 2 custom charge leads that match said leads for each battery...
Adding a center tap would work but the batteries should always unplug from one another so just cut it and add pair of connectors so each lead can go back together.

Both packs should have opposite gender on + and - so you can plug your positive and negative together as well as separate it for when you need to charge them.

Then your charge cable only goes together with the pack in proper polarity as well.

Last edited:
Back